PDA

View Full Version : finnaly found a supercharger for my car!

GP_DrIvEr
10-29-2002, 03:46 PM
my 98 grand prix is a 3.1L SE because the GT and GTP are 3.8 motors there is hardly any aftermarket spport for my car, or so i thought!

found a place called RSM Racing in the states and they sell a Vortech supercharger kit for my car :drool:

only $6000... shouldnt take me longer than a year to save up that much, then ill be running 280hp!!!

GTP's are fast and they come with 240hp, and im not gonna stop after the charger is put in!

RX-7_TWINTURBO
10-29-2002, 03:51 PM
My mommy has a 98 GTP ...it's Fast and all but it seem's like a cheaply made $36K Car

GP_DrIvEr
10-29-2002, 03:53 PM
to be honest its not as well made as some imports are but its still pretty good (cant believe i said that) but i got mine for $5g's and my parents paid for half of that so im not complaing... with all my mods so far and a supercharger i will have only paid 11g's ;) :burnout:

Redlyne_mr2
10-29-2002, 04:13 PM
looking forward to seeing that dude...happy modding:thumbsup:

LaughingTiger
10-29-2002, 04:55 PM
Good Shit ......:thumbsup:

drox
10-29-2002, 07:10 PM
You couldve ghetto rigged a sc you know?

HRD2PLZ
10-29-2002, 07:19 PM
I thought the GP's had pretty poor fot and finish too. I looked at countless GTP's before, and wasn't really happy with the way they were built over all. Especially the interiors. Nice cars though :thumbsup:

GP_DrIvEr
10-29-2002, 07:36 PM
hey to some ppl this may be a really stupid question but it says this supercharger runs 8psi of boost :confused: to be honest i dont know much about forced induction and was wondering how boost works for a supercharger?

and if ghetto hookups can do a supercharger project for my car i would be more than willing to do so ;) ;)

legendboy
10-29-2002, 07:38 PM
whoa........6k is a lot of $$$ I'd just sell yours and buy a GTP!

GP_DrIvEr
10-29-2002, 07:43 PM
the price difference between mine and a GTP would be about 6g's then there the hassle of selling/buying and i already have about $3500 put into this car so i dont want to sell it and start over

then if i bought a GTP i would probably spend money on a NEW supercharger because the stock super doesnt put out that much power (240hp stock)

if i throw this on my car i should be running over 280hp!!!!

having an SE model which is the lowest of the low that can RAPE a stock GTP would be a good feeling

:burnout:

2000impreza
10-29-2002, 07:57 PM
the GTP has a stonger engine.... with a pulley upgrade it can put it past the 280hp range not to mention it will have a ton more torque. 280hp on your car is probably pushing the limit.

GP_DrIvEr
10-29-2002, 08:16 PM
well the 280 is an estimate (im sitting at about 200 right now and RSM racing said that this charger should add upwards of 80hp

and yeah the 3800 engine is stronger but im not positive that new pulleys can give a GTP 40hp maybe im wrong

after the charger there are still more "go fast" mods that can be done, i dont know if thats what you meant by pushing the limit but i think my car (with alot of money) might be able to pass the 300hp range (that is ofcourse if the charger can put me to 280)

exr90
10-29-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO
My mommy has a 98 GTP ...it's Fast and all but it seem's like a cheaply made $36K Car
yea my mom was looking at buying one, but was turned off cuz of the interior...

all GM products seem to have the same buttons, etc
doesnt look good when you are buying a higher end car

max_boost
10-29-2002, 08:28 PM
Hey, sounds like you have a plan for your car! Can't wait to see the car when you get the charger installed:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
10-29-2002, 08:36 PM
Honestly you would probably be better off getting a GTP and buying a pulley to get that thing into the 280 area. I know it can be done and the 3.8L is a better platform to start off with.

The GTP's are NICE CARS. I had the pleasure of driving my uncles for the time he had it and I have to say they have TONS of power. Adding a pulley would be even more fun! Fit and finish weren't too bad, but I agree - ALL GM interiors look exactly the same for some reaso! All of these nutty putty rounded bubbly buttons and same stereos - even the corvette's interior failed to impress me much!

If you were still bent on keeping the car, why not ghetto turbo it instead for under 2k and have a quick car with a lot left over?

max_boost
10-29-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
ALL GM interiors look exactly the same for some reaso! All of these nutty putty rounded bubbly buttons and same stereos - even the corvette's interior failed to impress me much!

Same thing with the old Honda Interiors! :D

GP_DrIvEr
10-29-2002, 08:45 PM
if a ghetto turbo can be done i would be up for it in a second

but im clueless about forced induction so i think i might need the help of leo on this one

if i went out and bought a new GTP i would loose the time/money spent on the exhaust, tint, intake,
i could then use things like the lowering springs/ mp3 player, fuel management system on my new car

and in the end im attached to my car :D

GP_DrIvEr
10-29-2002, 08:49 PM
oh i forgot the biggest reason i really shouldnt buy a GTP!!

INSURANCE :banghead:

right now im paying ALOT 4100 a year, for a 4door SE

i got a quote for a GTP and i think it was 6850/year

im not enough of a high roller YET to afford that lol

RGAGT
10-29-2002, 09:08 PM
Well There is a Company in the States Making a Turbo Kit for the 3400 v-6 in the Grandam Gt:D It's in the Testing Stages at the Moment. Should be out early next year for around $4500-5000 That's a t3/t4 with intercooler From a Company Called It's a Turbo:drool:

2000impreza
10-29-2002, 09:20 PM
i think a pulley and chip will get the gtp past the 280hp mark. 80hp gain from a supercharger does seem impressive. if you do get the SC you should also consider upgrading that crush bent exhaust to something better.

bosa
10-29-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
crush bent exhaust to something better.

Crush bent exhaust? :dunno: What do you mean? :confused:

HRD2PLZ
10-29-2002, 11:25 PM
One of my parents friends gave back his 99 Accord SE when the lease was up and leased a Grand Prix GT. He likes the car but wishes he would have leased a V6 Accord instead.

I agree on the Honda interiors though- especially the old ones. Some of the switches (heated seats, windows, sunroof, mirrors, pwr seats) are the same in my car and my dads MDX. But, I guess that keeps production costs down.

GP_DrIvEr
10-29-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
One of my parents friends gave back his 99 Accord SE when the lease was up and leased a Grand Prix GT. He likes the car but wishes he would have leased a V6 Accord instead.

i wonder if he would feel the same way if he got the GTP instead of the GT :dunno:

GTP's are beasts....