PDA

View Full Version : t4's

LUDELVR
10-29-2002, 06:57 PM
okay, does anybody know what vehicles used a t4 as a stock turbo?

DSM Power
10-30-2002, 12:21 AM
None that I am aware of, that is a BIG turbo... of course it comes in many flavors. The T3/T4 though was found on cars like the SVO Mustang and the Thunderbird Turbo coupe, among others. :)

Edit - Ha ha ha I spoke too soon :tongue:
http://www.lambocars.com/diablo/vttt.htm

Redlyne_mr2
10-30-2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by DSM Power
None that I am aware of, that is a BIG turbo... of course it comes in many flavors. The T3/T4 though was found on cars like the SVO Mustang and the Thunderbird Turbo coupe, among others. :)

Edit - Ha ha ha I spoke too soon :tongue:
http://www.lambocars.com/diablo/vttt.htm
DSM dude it was just t3's on those engines...hahah Leo Im not sure if I told you this already bud the older ford diesels (92-96) not sure on the exact years.....used a t4 turbo...hahah dude if you plan on runnig somethin gthat big you better work on some supporting mods..hahahah....its all about support remember:thumbsup: :bigpimp:

LUDELVR
10-30-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

its all about support remember:thumbsup: :bigpimp: ....

Okay, first of all, you sound like a woman!!! hahahahaaha Anyway,

DSM dude it was just t3's on those engines...hahah Leo Im not sure if I told you this already bud the older ford diesels (92-96) not sure on the exact years.....used a t4 turbo...hahah dude if you plan on runnig somethin gthat big you better work on some supporting mods..hahahah....

I'll be matting this to my t3 so it should spool quite quickly and I don't plan on boosting over 7 psi so I should be able to retain my stock internals. I believe I should be able to extract more hp from this combo because like I said, my turbo just dies at about 5000.

Does anyone else have an opinion about upgrading my compressor side? even with the same turbine, will a t4 on the compressor side die out quicker? Or will it simply continue to make more power past 5000? Any input would be awsome.:thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
10-30-2002, 12:54 PM
have you not found a place that will clip your turbo or even upgrade it..hell, youre better to save some cash and send it away to PT
www.performancetechniques.com

DSM Power
10-30-2002, 01:37 PM
Sorry, slight typo there, T3 correct. ;)

I did find a handy table with specs of the various T3 turbos those Fords came with if anyone cares... scroll to the very bottom for the specs -
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/21.shtml

Davan
10-30-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

I'll be matting this to my t3...

You're talkin twin turbo setup? Leo, I don't think you should cut any more holes in your hood.......... :D j/k!

LUDELVR
10-30-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Davan

You're talkin twin turbo setup? Leo, I don't think you should cut any more holes in your hood.......... :D j/k!

hahah, no man, I'm gonna take off the t3 compressor that I have now and swap it for a t4. ahahhaha, yah man, my car needs no more holes!!!! :rofl: :rofl:

MrX
10-31-2002, 10:53 AM
combining the t3 and the t4 together won't yield you much gain (unless the turbine trim is upgraded as well). It's all in the trim of the turbine that make the hella difference. Did you ever look into the trims available for the t3?? Oh and do you have enough clearance to fit the t4 in there?

infamous
10-31-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by MrX
Oh and do you have enough clearance to fit the t4 in there?

this is leo were talking about....it doesn't matter how big the turbo is, he can always cut more holes in his hood....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

95TsiAWD
10-31-2002, 10:59 AM
He's probably talking about taking the T4 cold side and putting it on his T3 hot side. What you need to remember though is that if the T4 is off a truck, it's compressor side is going to be geared to low RPM torque, not high RPM power. Same reason you don't want to try and use a semi or tractor turbo ;)
Hole in the hood guy, are you still running the 2.25" exhaust and 2" intercooler piping? I'd be blaming that for the lack in power, not the T3 turbo. It doesn't matter how big a turbo you have if the intake and exhaust are choking your setup to death.

LUDELVR
10-31-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by 95TsiAWD
He's probably talking about taking the T4 cold side and putting it on his T3 hot side. What you need to remember though is that if the T4 is off a truck, it's compressor side is going to be geared to low RPM torque, not high RPM power. Same reason you don't want to try and use a semi or tractor turbo ;)
Hole in the hood guy, are you still running the 2.25" exhaust and 2" intercooler piping? I'd be blaming that for the lack in power, not the T3 turbo. It doesn't matter how big a turbo you have if the intake and exhaust are choking your setup to death.

it's wierd though man, cuz Ed the SOHC is running the same piping diameter from his compressor to the intercooler. But it does get bigger from the other end of the intercooler to the T.B.. As well, his exhaust piping is about the same too. Anyway, how much differnece can increasing the piping make? I'm talking hp figures. Likewise, we've been theorizing tha maybe I'm just running way too rich. What kind of figures can one gain from leaning out the mixture?

Thanks again for the help

95TsiAWD
10-31-2002, 01:18 PM
a motor is just an air pump, the more air you can get in and exhaust out teh more power you'll make. I'd say probably 2.25" madrel piping to the IC and then 2.25"-2.5" mandrel from the IC to the TB would be best.
For exhaust, the more you get out the better. Too much backpressure will leave a bunch of unburnt exhaust in the cylinders so you end up with a big EGR valve. Not good for making power. Look into at least a 2.5" mandrel bent system, no cat and a free-flowing muffler.
Leaning out will help you get some power back but you shouldn't notice the power falling off just from being rich.

LUDELVR
10-31-2002, 01:21 PM
a motor is just an air pump, the more air you can get in and exhaust out teh more power you'll make. I'd say probably 2.25" madrel piping to the IC and then 2.25"-2.5" mandrel from the IC to the TB would be best.
For exhaust, the more you get out the better. Too much backpressure will leave a bunch of unburnt exhaust in the cylinders so you end up with a big EGR valve. Not good for making power. Look into at least a 2.5" mandrel bent system, no cat and a free-flowing muffler.
Leaning out will help you get some power back but you shouldn't notice the power falling off just from being rich.

In your opinion, how likely is it that my turbo is too small? Cuz I know that these turbos are capable of 15 + psi of boost.

95TsiAWD
10-31-2002, 01:28 PM
I'm not really sure what your T3 is out of, but I'm sure it's bigger than my 16G and I don't have any problems with powerdrop off. But I run 2.25" IC piping and a 3" exhaust (no cat)

LUDELVR
10-31-2002, 02:31 PM
I'm not really sure what your T3 is out of, but I'm sure it's bigger than my 16G and I don't have any problems with powerdrop off. But I run 2.25" IC piping and a 3" exhaust (no cat)

Yah, I think I'll have to look into getting bigger piping, but I've been talking to redline and that fmu I have is out of a kit that comes with a t3/t4 and is meant to supply 8 psi to 1 psi of boost, but the problem with mine is that I'm running a smaller t3 and so even though I have the same amount of psi, I'm not even close to the amount of volume that the t4 pushes so I guess that would account for the rich air/fuel mixture. I'm gonna try a lower rise rate and if that does help, then I'm gonna move up to bigger piping.

As for my turbo, it's out of a merkur. It's actually a pretty big t3, but still, the hot side is quite small.

MrX
10-31-2002, 06:58 PM
increasing the intercooler piping on the merkur t3 turbo wont help....i know, i've tried. Most of the t3's that i've played with (merkur, svo, t-bird) does fall off at the higher rpm's. The only way we've gotten around that is getting setup with a more aggressive trim.

LUDELVR
11-01-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by MrX
increasing the intercooler piping on the merkur t3 turbo wont help....i know, i've tried. Most of the t3's that i've played with (merkur, svo, t-bird) does fall off at the higher rpm's. The only way we've gotten around that is getting setup with a more aggressive trim.

Hey X, would clipping the turbine help? I've read a lot of dsm guys doing this...actually, I should ask the dsm guys!! haha, anyway, do you guys think that clipping my turbine would help any? I've seen it help a lot of people gain power up top and if I am experiencing premature spooling, then in theory, wouldn't this be the way to go?

95TsiAWD
11-01-2002, 09:51 AM
clipping is alright, but you don't hear it done a whole lot on garrett turbos since there is so many wheel/housing choices. If the hot side of your T3 is too small then the larger exhaust won't benefit much since the turbo will still choke it off (I have no idea what trims that T3 is though, I'm a mitsu turbo guy ;) ). Maybe it's time to look into getting a real T3/T4 instead of just hacking together junkyard parts. I know there's places you can order them from, to your specs, for under $1000CND.
Or if you want to try it you could port the snot out of your turbine housing and get a really aggressive clip done on the wheel (like about 15-20 degrees)

rage2
11-01-2002, 09:52 AM
LUDELVR, go dyno your car, it might not be the turbo :D.

MrX
11-01-2002, 09:57 AM
too true. you got the setup going, but not tuned. Figure things out from the bottom up...don't start looking at all the small details until the main problem is solved

LUDELVR
11-01-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by rage2
LUDELVR, go dyno your car, it might not be the turbo :D.

so who has a dyno again?

Redlyne_mr2
11-01-2002, 10:03 AM

so who has a dyno again?
Ive got a tread mill:dunno: :confused:

LUDELVR
11-01-2002, 10:11 AM

Ive got a tread mill:dunno: :confused:

hahah, with the numbers I'm putting down, a treadmill would probably suffice!!!:rofl: :burnout:

redline
11-01-2002, 11:36 AM
www.dynomotive.ca

nosoup4u
11-01-2002, 12:15 PM
i got a real nice t3/t4 forsale and also a Ballbearing version too.

max_boost
11-01-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by nosoup4u

Do you offer junkyard prices for LUDELVR? Or perhaps monthly payments?:thumbsup:

LUDELVR
11-01-2002, 12:30 PM

hey man, check your pm's!:thumbsup:

nosoup4u
11-01-2002, 12:34 PM
dont tell me he has a junkyard turbo setup in his car?
and he wants more and efficient power out if it?

sorry man, these turbo's i have are for serious power.

word of advise, you have to pay to play!!!

LUDELVR
11-01-2002, 12:38 PM
dont tell me he has a junkyard turbo setup in his car?
and he wants more and efficient power out if it?

sorry man, these turbo's i have are for serious power.

word of advise, you have to pay to play!!!

What's wrong with a junkyard setup? R u telling me that you can not make power with a junkyard setup?

ScCab
11-01-2002, 12:39 PM

What's wrong with a junkyard setup? R u telling me that you can not make power with a junkyard setup?

not with your set up:rofl:

LUDELVR
11-01-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by ScCab

not with your set up:rofl:

haha, not with this turbo anyway!!

ScCab
11-01-2002, 12:41 PM

haha, not with this turbo anyway!!
no man I think its your ghetto set up:rofl:

LUDELVR
11-01-2002, 12:42 PM

no man I think its your ghetto set up:rofl:

ya your right man. im a dummy:nut:

LUDELVR
11-01-2002, 12:46 PM

ya your right man. im a dummy:nut:

thanks man!

nosoup4u
11-01-2002, 12:49 PM
dont take offence, used (very old, parts ) will do the job, but dont expect it to preform very well.

You get more little problems when running old parts, it then becomes more of a headache to drive the car, more worries which takes all the fun out of car.

You end up spending more time fixing it than driving it.

Yes i spend alot of bucks on my supra but look at it this way.

850hp for 2 years, racing every other weekend at racecity(129mph passes), dynoing every other week. quite a few streetraces.
2 years and all i have done is a few oil changes, and alot of sparkplugs changes.

LUDELVR
11-01-2002, 12:51 PM
dont take offence, used (very old, parts ) will do the job, but dont expect it to preform very well.

You get more little problems when running old parts, it then becomes more of a headache to drive the car, more worries which takes all the fun out of car.

You end up spending more time fixing it than driving it.

Yes i spend alot of bucks on my supra but look at it this way.

850hp for 2 years, racing every other weekend at racecity(129mph passes), dynoing every other week. quite a few streetraces.
2 years and all i have done is a few oil changes, and alot of sparkplugs changes.

oh no, I'm not offended, I've just seen some cars run well using junkyard parts, but yah, newer is definately better than used. Anyway, the only two junkyard parts that I really have are the intercooler and turbo. I mean, that's all that is really mechanical on my setup.

ScCab
11-01-2002, 12:55 PM
dont take offence

don't worry he takes none what so ever. you should see some of the women he trys to pick up and you will know:rofl:

LUDELVR
11-01-2002, 12:57 PM

don't worry he takes none what so ever. you should see some of the women he trys to pick up and you will know:rofl:

hahaha, you're lucky I don't have mod status in here!!!! hhahaha, and besides, how is this pertinent to our discussion here!!??:dunno: go take your flaming to the ask leo section!!! hahahahah:rofl:

max_boost
11-01-2002, 01:08 PM

Oh that was cold:D

infamous
11-01-2002, 01:24 PM

ouch...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Redlyne_mr2
11-01-2002, 07:39 PM
shit man is one of thos off your bros cars..if so I want it...check your pm

Redlyne_mr2
11-01-2002, 07:41 PM

stay on topic here...this is a warning

LUDELVR
11-01-2002, 08:45 PM

shit man is one of thos off your bros cars..if so I want it...check your pm

you fuck off! If anyone is getting that turbo, it's me!!! hahahaha or I'll just have yours come january!! hahahah:thumbsup: