PDA

View Full Version : only ford...

GTS Jeff
10-29-2002, 08:40 PM
they stopped production on the cobra SVT cuz of quality concerns....

http://www.bonforums.com/mustang/cobra_03prodstopped102902.htm

infamous
10-29-2002, 08:42 PM
damn...they are so :bigpimp: but at least it's better then getting lets say 20000 of them on the road and then having to recall 19500 of them...they are trying to fix the problem before they leave the assembly plant...i give them props for that! :thumbsup:

4wheeldrift
10-29-2002, 08:46 PM
Better that than the alternative. They're probably figuring out how to hide all the extra horsepower the cars were showing up on the dyno with :D

redline_13000
10-31-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Better that than the alternative. They're probably figuring out how to hide all the extra horsepower the cars were showing up on the dyno with :D

r u saying theyre trying to make it look like a sleeper by making it look like it has lower hp? or just lower the hp altogether?

Davan
10-31-2002, 10:21 AM
Too bad there's not much info there. Could be something as stupid as the paint on the cam covers is flaking off. :dunno:

Ben
10-31-2002, 10:28 AM
well at least they circled the problem

GTS Jeff
10-31-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by redline_13000

r u saying theyre trying to make it look like a sleeper by making it look like it has lower hp? or just lower the hp altogether? no i think he was actually JOKING man. ford just has no idea how to make a car that doesnt spontaneously fall apart.
Originally posted by Davan
Too bad there's not much info there. Could be something as stupid as the paint on the cam covers is flaking off. :dunno: i doubt they would stop production for something like that. its really quite sad that ford cant even build an SVT properly. u would think that they would at least try a little when they are building a specialty car like an SVT

MistaBrent
10-31-2002, 08:13 PM
dont get me wrong I am not a ford fan at all.

but i think they make decent cars.

i have had my mustang since june and have had no problems at all its overall a great car.

too bad after 2 weeks i always find a different car i want :(

but im sure every car company has there probs.

would it be fair to say everyone hates ford cause most of there cars are ugly ?

i think the only nice ford is the mustang.

SmelltheRubber
10-31-2002, 09:28 PM
jeff, stfu before u start another flame war.
Mistabrent, I've had my mustang for a year and a half and it runs like a beauty.

GTS Jeff
10-31-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by SmelltheRubber
jeff, stfu before u start another flame war.
Mistabrent, I've had my mustang for a year and a half and it runs like a beauty. it doesnt have to be a flame war.

im saying that ford has always had issues with quality control and this latest fiasco reinforces that idea. if you disagree, by all means say so and say why...aint nuttin wong with a little debate.

treg50
10-31-2002, 10:52 PM
It's definitely a good idea that they're taking the hit on this as opposed to an even bigger potential hit such as if a driver or drivers had died in an incident related to the problem.

This isn't "fiasco," its only regarding the SVT Cobra (a "specialty" car) not the mass production Mustang. Stopping the production of, say, the regular '03 Taurus or Explorer due to production problems --- that would be a fiasco since both are flagships for the company.

Maybe S-ing TFU would be a good idea because its a tired subject, which I can tell Jeff TYPE R is revving up to go on about. :rolleyes: "Japanese and Euro-cars rule because blah blah blah and American cars suck because of blah blah blah." It doesn't matter. They've had their share of recalls and what not, yes. But...

Ford is in business for a reason. Whether or not people like the looks, that's all opinion. They make a decent product at decent prices which is perfect for many consumers.
:burnout:

P.S. The SVT Focus is pretty cool (for the most part), so is the Focus RS (EUR), SVT Lightning is neat too.

Stratus_Power
10-31-2002, 11:01 PM
yes nothing wrong w/ little debate.. but thats usually wat leads to Flame war.. and that can get really ugly...

max_boost
10-31-2002, 11:01 PM
Well all automobile companies will have their share of problems from time to time, at least Ford is doing something about it.......

I would never buy a Ford but thats just my taste, I still think they have some great cars in their automobile line

szw
10-31-2002, 11:38 PM
Everyone thinks focus is so ugly, i thought they looked pretty good when they came out, still do!

Ben
10-31-2002, 11:51 PM
How many peoples aerostar vans steering columns started on fire? haahaha, that was the most brutally hazardis recall I have heard ever.

I guess with a company that shits out so many cars like ford does, they are bound to have more problems than say a smaller company. I dont know the exact ratio of good cars versus lemons produced in a year by ford, so I cannot make a factual statement, but that would be a good fact to know.

I would never buy ford, but I can see why alot of people do...

In any case, pull all the stangs off the road, HORRAY, i wont get my ass handed to me as much when they destroy me when I'm in my car...

Luke 96 T/A
11-01-2002, 12:11 AM
Hmmm... I've recently been hearing that Ford has always planned to stop production on the Cobra for a short while, just to ensure that quality is maintained...
and that they plan to stop it another time this year as well.. just to make sure nothing happens...
but.. who knows ;-)

T5_X
11-01-2002, 12:44 AM
My family has NEVER had problems with ford quality, cept for electronics. My mom's 93 explorer had a few electrical problems, she treated it like shit, its got 200K on it now, and its still rock solid reliable. My ranger hasn't ever had had a problem except for a new horn, which warrenty replaced and a problem with the dome light. We've also owned more ford products over the years, and they have always been solid.

Of course, this is anecdotal data. In statistical data, you'll find ford vehicles generally rank higher in domestic reliability, but fall short of most japanese imports, slightly behind some euro manufacturers, ahead or on par with others, of course, this is general, the trend is very slight and it varies a lot.

My opinion is that you're an idiot if you go in to looking at cars with company bias. Look at everything in the class with a neutral point of view, then test drive everything, look at the stats and price.

And yes, the 03 cobras are being typically dynod at higher than factory rating. There is a lot new about the 03 cobra, it doesn't surprise me that something's wrong. In fact, I started a thread about the 03 cobra over the summer, and I voiced a concern over reliability, just cause it was produced quickly, and everything about it seemed too good to be true. That article didn't give much info though. It could be for something pretty small. The cobra is a lower production car. stopping production won't mean huge losses for ford, and the cobra doesn't have a direct competetor anymore anyways.
BTW, SVT is a very small portion of ford, bad quality control for this low production car doesn't indicate bad quality control for the production of the focus or ranger or anything mass produced by them. :rolleyes:

GTS Jeff
11-01-2002, 01:01 AM
ok, first off, i want to say that the svt cobra is an awesome car. it has gobs of power, very high skidpad numbers, and it looks great. and its just GRRREAT that they are being upfront about their issues.

my beef is that ford cannot even make one of their flagship cars reliable. do u realize how exclusive the svt cobra is? do u realize that you pay over 50,000 for a car like that? when one spends such a large amount of coin on a "specialty car", the least they can expect is for the car to be built properly! its a disgrace that ford cannot maintain quality on a topnotch car like the cobra when companies like kia are doing it just fine on 10000 econoboxes.

GTS Jeff
11-01-2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by treg50
This isn't "fiasco," its only regarding the SVT Cobra (a "specialty" car) not the mass production Mustang. Stopping the production of, say, the regular '03 Taurus or Explorer due to production problems --- that would be a fiasco since both are flagships for the company.

Maybe S-ing TFU would be a good idea because its a tired subject, which I can tell Jeff TYPE R is revving up to go on about. :rolleyes: "Japanese and Euro-cars rule because blah blah blah and American cars suck because of blah blah blah." It doesn't matter.if i didnt make my point clear in my last post, im saying that because its a specialty car its more so a fiasco.

kenny
11-01-2002, 01:08 AM
BMW could certainly learn a little something from all this! I feel sorry for all E46 M3 owners... never know when the engine might blow sending your car into the median, or worse--oncoming traffic.

Mikko
11-01-2002, 07:31 PM
Regarding Ford cars : The Ford Focus SVT beats (if you believe the many automotive journalists - I've never driven one) the Civic Type R (class leader) in every aspect except engine. It's simply weaker and not nearly as neat as the mad Civic engine. But still - better and more fun in every other way. Stiffer chassis, better handling, better at soaking up bumps, better steering feel bla bla.

5.9 R/T
11-02-2002, 12:47 AM
I think I can guess why production was haulted. It's most likely motor related. Ford has had nothing but problems with the DOHC 4.6 modular motor since day 1. This is not a new thing for them. They should have stuck with the 5.0 for the cobras IMO.

As for 'only ford' maybe we should look back at how many times honda/toyota/mazda or any other car maker for that matter had to shut down production of a car, if only for a short period of time, due to quality control issues production line problems etc etc. Typical of most honda lovers, only telling half the story to make their supposed high quality, small, and in most cases slow cars, look good.

GTS Jeff
11-02-2002, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
I think I can guess why production was haulted. It's most likely motor related. Ford has had nothing but problems with the DOHC 4.6 modular motor since day 1. This is not a new thing for them. They should have stuck with the 5.0 for the cobras IMO.

As for 'only ford' maybe we should look back at how many times honda/toyota/mazda or any other car maker for that matter had to shut down production of a car, if only for a short period of time, due to quality control issues production line problems etc etc. Typical of most honda lovers, only telling half the story to make their supposed high quality, small, and in most cases slow cars, look good. they were having problems with the supercharger

5.9 R/T
11-02-2002, 01:03 AM
All I found was that it was due to an engine glitch, they never said if it was SC related or otherwise.

GTS Jeff
11-02-2002, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31
And yes, the 03 cobras are being typically dynod at higher than factory rating.heh thats te least they could do, after the old cobras that dynoed dynoed way UNDER factory ratings.

4wheeldrift
11-02-2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
heh thats te least they could do, after the old cobras that dynoed dynoed way UNDER factory ratings.
Yes, and they stopped production then too to revise the head design so they would make the proper amount of power, unlike toyota who told a lot of celica GT-S owners to take a flying leap. Ford certainly didn't need to do anything in that situation, they could have written the difference off as driveline loss or something else and told the owners to go home, but they fixed it anyways.

LaserRS
11-02-2002, 09:31 AM
Ford had no choice, they got their asses sued by a large number of Cobra owners. The engine in question is the 4.6 liter? We use Ford trucks at the place I work at, they are really cheap compared to other brands, the 4.6 liter trucks have been a nightmare, lots of problems with head gaskets and intake leaks, the powerstroke trucks have been better, but have a number of problems with the injection pumps dying for no apparent reason, the tow truck has been our best friend. Quality is Job 2 or 3.

GTS Jeff
11-02-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift

Yes, and they stopped production then too to revise the head design so they would make the proper amount of power, unlike toyota who told a lot of celica GT-S owners to take a flying leap. Ford certainly didn't need to do anything in that situation, they could have written the difference off as driveline loss or something else and told the owners to go home, but they fixed it anyways. they certainly DID need to do something! when the industry's leading publication (c&d) completely slams them, and when no one can manage the 5.4 second 0-60 that was being advertised, ford is in trouble! as i understand, at first, ford did try passing it up as a driveline losses for quite a while, then blamed it on intake/exhaust restrictions, then FINALLY admitted to what everyone had figured out, that their compression ratio =teh suck

300rwhp
11-02-2002, 12:38 PM
this is horrible, that the notice of the prodution stop is giving all the ford haters something to talk about. all companis have occational problems, ne m3!!!!! you dont see people saying oh bmw is such shit fuckem. there are alot of talon lovers on this board even though there all probably going to have there heads crack because thats a serious problem with that car. all companies have problems, ford is just one of the only ones smart enough to own up to it and try to fix their cars. mistabrent you dont sound like yopui deserve to drive a mustang. do some reseasrch on the racing history ofthe company that makes your car and maybe you can appreciate it.

FN49
11-02-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by LaserRS
Ford had no choice, they got their asses sued by a large number of Cobra owners. The engine in question is the 4.6 liter? We use Ford trucks at the place I work at, they are really cheap compared to other brands, the 4.6 liter trucks have been a nightmare, lots of problems with head gaskets and intake leaks, the powerstroke trucks have been better, but have a number of problems with the injection pumps dying for no apparent reason, the tow truck has been our best friend. Quality is Job 2 or 3.

There is no company in the world that has more pickups on the road then Haliburton. They use STRICLY Fords. There is a reason for that. Every once in a while they will buy some Dodges and Chevs to compare against the Fords but they must not be as satisfied with them, for as long as I remember they have always used Fords.

SmelltheRubber
11-02-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by 300rwhp
this is horrible, that the notice of the prodution stop is giving all the ford haters something to talk about. all companis have occational problems, ne m3!!!!! you dont see people saying oh bmw is such shit fuckem. there are alot of talon lovers on this board even though there all probably going to have there heads crack because thats a serious problem with that car. all companies have problems, ford is just one of the only ones smart enough to own up to it and try to fix their cars. mistabrent you dont sound like yopui deserve to drive a mustang. do some reseasrch on the racing history ofthe company that makes your car and maybe you can appreciate it.

:werd: :thumbsup:

T-rus
11-02-2002, 06:37 PM
I agree, it does not matter what manufacturer you go to, they all have there lemon cars no matter what. The older dodge neons had there head gaskets blow on them all the time. Ford 3.8 Litre always has some kind of problem with them. GMC has there problems so on and so forth. It all comes down to integrity and your taste in vehicles. No one can change your mind on a vehicle maker until you personally deal with them.

MistaBrent
11-02-2002, 09:25 PM

uhhhhhh I think you should re read my post.

I said ive had *NO* problem with my mustang . (keyword here is no problem) another good keyword there would be that i never said i hated my mustang at all or anything relevant to that.

god damn i love keywords

i do appreciate my mustang.

Although i would rather have a corvette or viper :poosie:

mustangs are great cars.

so maybe i will agree with you now that i did think about it.

I DONT DESERVE TO DRIVE A MUSTANG, A GENTLEMAN LIKE ME SHOULD DRIVE A VIPER SRT10

:bigpimp:

SmelltheRubber
11-03-2002, 12:40 PM
Hmm, Im guessing nobody replied to that cause-

A. It speaks for itself.

B. Your're speechless.

C. Too many spaces between the sentences that you just gave up halfway down.

infamous
11-03-2002, 12:42 PM
i choose option C!! :thumbsup: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

drox
11-03-2002, 07:07 PM
Everyone disses ford for such shitty products.... the probe I had showed 284000km on the tach with the original motor. Thats fucking awsome for any manufacturer. Granted, mazda made more of that car than ford did :dunno:

MistaBrent
11-03-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by SmelltheRubber
Hmm, Im guessing nobody replied to that cause-

A. It speaks for itself.

B. Your're speechless.

C. Too many spaces between the sentences that you just gave up halfway down.

im confused here.....

what bad thing did i say about mustangs

drox
11-03-2002, 07:13 PM
this is horrible, that the notice of the prodution stop is giving all the ford haters something to talk about. all companis have occational problems I totally agree. Thats why rx7's arent sold here anymore. Mazda stopped sending them over due to the high number of warrenty claims because too many fuck heads dont know how to maintain a turbo car, yet a rotary. Its not like you need a daily check list, but letting a rotary run low on oil, or over heat is BAD! A lot of people didnt get that, and well.... now I have to wait for a rx8 and I have to turbo it :D

300rwhp
11-03-2002, 07:59 PM
mista brent: when did I say you said anyhting about mustangs? what I am trying to say is your mustang is a ford, everything about it is ford, so think that if you dont like fords it is hard to believe that you bought your car for any other reason other than to show off to your friends. you have really nice car that will treat you well.

MistaBrent
11-03-2002, 08:40 PM
mista brent: when did I say you said anyhting about mustangs? what I am trying to say is your mustang is a ford, everything about it is ford, so think that if you dont like fords it is hard to believe that you bought your car for any other reason other than to show off to your friends. you have really nice car that will treat you well.

ok cool, didnt want to start a flame.

just didnt want anyone thinking i hated mustangs.

its just my personal opinion i dont like most fords looks.

but fords are good cars.

Stratus_Power
11-03-2002, 08:43 PM
it seems like Mistabrent like to type in point form instead of in paragragh form..
and the spaces inbetween is when he is thinking wat to say next...

but Ford is okay

quality is not the best

i wouldn't mind having one

i need a car...

GTS Jeff
11-03-2002, 09:04 PM
hey man...

this is

the

new

trend!

gpomp
11-03-2002, 09:34 PM
Huh?

What is the new trend?

Can someone explain it to me?

I don't know what's going on.

Are we talking about MistaBrent?

This sure whores up the forum rather fast.

Oh well, who cares anyway.

VWhooligan
11-03-2002, 10:08 PM
do u realize how exclusive the svt cobra is? do u realize that you pay over 50,000 for a car like that?

honestly, 50g's isn't that much. its a high performance automobile. with high performance comes high cost and high repairs. and even if its the flagship model, its still a ford, and even ford can make mistakes. hell, all the car companies in the world, big or small, make mistakes. they all have recalls of some sort.

gpomp
11-04-2002, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by VWhooligan

honestly, 50g's isn't that much.

Uh yeah, I just have piles of 50g just sitting around...

MistaBrent
11-04-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
it seems like Mistabrent like to type in point form instead of in paragragh form..
and the spaces inbetween is when he is thinking wat to say next...

but Ford is okay

quality is not the best

i wouldn't mind having one

i need a car...

LOL !

classic.

MistaBrent
11-04-2002, 01:23 AM
hey man...

this is

the

new

trend!

hahahahaha

you guys are cracking me up.

hopefully i just started a new style of posting for this forum.

James
11-04-2002, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by MistaBrent

hahahahaha

you guys are cracking me up.

hopefully i just started a new style of posting for this forum.

No, hopefully, you'll get the Point and type in Paragraph Form!:nut:

SmelltheRubber
11-04-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by James
No, hopefully, you'll get the Point and type in Paragraph Form!:nut:

Hahaha! :werd:
Mistabrent: Im glad you cleared that up :thumbsup:

MistaBrent
11-04-2002, 11:07 PM
:werd:

GTS Jeff
11-04-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Mikko
The Ford Focus SVT... dont even get me started on how ford bungled up the introduction of this car!! i know its an awesome car, but seriously, one stupid recall after another...