PDA

View Full Version : Rally Argentina

hjr
07-10-2004, 04:11 PM
2004 Rally Argentina : July 16-18

http://www.nrk.no/img/262191.jpeg

Well worth the trip
The trip to Rally Argentina may be a long journey for European-based fans, but, when you combine a land of spectacular scenery with a nation of people always up for a party, you have the ideal location for a World Rally Championship event. The rally is based around Villa Carlos Paz - a small town near the stately city of Cordoba, the old location for rally headquarters. Rally Argentina always proves to be one of the more memorable rounds of the year, and certainly one of the highlights of the first half of the season.

View to a thrill
Villa Carlos Paz is where the teams, journalists and spectators always tended to stay - as well as party with the locals - and it now makes for a great central base for the event. After midnight, the town comes alive, the nightclubs rock, the restaurants buzz and everyone generally has a great time. On clear days, the mountains around the city are literally awe-inspiring, and there is plenty of fun to be had in them if you are of an active persuasion - trekking and white-water rafting are among the favourite activities for the adrenaline junkies.

Making a splash
One of the main features of Rally Argentina is the watersplashes, and the sight of a World Rally Car plunging through a water-filled ford is one of the highlights of the season. One year, the event crossed 61 river fords, of which 29 were full-on watersplashes. Before heading out to Argentina, the teams have to ensure their cars can cope when careering into water at high speed. SEAT found this out to its cost a couple of years ago when both cars retired on the first day of the rally because they became waterlogged.

Tough conditions
The weather in Argentina can be highly unpredictable, due to the fact that the event is run at such high altitudes. In the wet, the loose gravel surface can become greasy, catching out the unwary. The high altitudes, just as in Mexico, can also sap the cars of power as they struggle for breath in the thin air. The blend of high speeds and bumpy terrain places extra stresses on the suspension, and the bodywork can take its fair share of pounding. In recent years cars on Pirelli tyres have held the upper hand, the Italian rubber excelling on the cool, damp gravel.

TV Times (SpeedTV):

Friday, July 16, 2004
9:00 pm WRC RALLY MAGAZINE Argentina

Sunday, July 18, 2004
7:00 pm WRC RALLY MAGAZINE Argentina
11:00 pm WRC RALLY MAGAZINE Argentina

Friday, July 23, 2004
1:00 pm WRC RALLY MAGAZINE Argentina

hjr
07-18-2004, 01:35 PM
1. C SAINZ 4:23:11.0
2. S LOEB +1:32.5
3. F DUVAL +4:23.5
4. M HIRVONEN +8:27.7
5. H ROVANPERÄ +9:59.9
6. L COMPANC PEREZ +16:24.7
7. G PANIZZI +17:39.0
8. G POZZO +20:38.6
9. A WARMBOLD +22:17.4
10. D SOLÁ +22:21.4

sorry the updates werent sooner, warped tour and camping took my time. this is basically the final times as there is only 1 stage left to be counted.

hjr
07-19-2004, 12:27 AM
Final Results

1. Carlos SAINZ 10 Pts
2. Sébastien LOEB 8 Pts
3. Francois DUVAL 6 Pts
4. Mikko HIRVONEN 5 Pts
5. Harri ROVANPERÄ 4 Pts
6. Luis COMPANC PEREZ 3 Pts
7. Gilles PANIZZI 2 Pts
8. Gabriel POZZO 1 Pts

Season Results (Drivers)

1. Sébastien LOEB (F) 61 Pts
2. Petter SOLBERG (N) 44 Pts
3. Carlos SAINZ (E) 34 Pts
4. Markko MÄRTIN (EE) 34 Pts
5. Marcus GRÖNHOLM (FIN) 32 Pts
6. Francois DUVAL (B) 29 Pts
7. Mikko HIRVONEN (FIN 18 Pts
8. Harri ROVANPERÄ (FIN) 14 Pts
9. Janne TUOHINO (FIN)12 Pts
10. Daniel CARLSSON (S) 6 Pts

Season Results (Manufactures)

1. Citroën 98 Pts
2. Ford 71 Pts
3. Subaru 64 Pts
4. Peugeot 51 Pts
5. Mitsubishi 14 Pts

fast95pony
07-19-2004, 12:39 AM
Holy crap !! Martin's Focus exploded !! They were both lucky to walk away from that one..

I'm glad Duval got some points for Ford :thumbsup:

Sainz is still a great driver..

Team_Mclaren
07-19-2004, 12:37 PM
damn subaru, damn water!!!

Superesc
07-19-2004, 01:13 PM
yea that was pretty wierd with the subaru's aerodynamic... Lesson for all the subaru owners :rofl:

hyperwhite
07-19-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
Holy crap !! Martin's Focus exploded !! They were both lucky to walk away from that one..

I'm glad Duval got some points for Ford :thumbsup:

Sainz is still a great driver..

his car didn't explode, it just fliped end over end a couple times. i wish there was some video of the crash

hjr
07-19-2004, 05:03 PM
there is an incar of Markko's crash. Speed played it during speednews.

fast95pony
07-24-2004, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by hyperwhite

his car didn't explode, it just fliped end over end a couple times. i wish there was some video of the crash

Sorry , figure of speech . I forgot some people here take things so literally...