PDA

View Full Version : Car burst into flames in front of me!

Dope Dealer
10-29-2002, 11:10 PM
I was driving along Country Hills BLVD. just five minutes ago and I am going along and I see this flame (thought it was a flare at first) ahead of me. Then I look closer and this guy's wheel starts burning up and then all this smoke comes from the engine and burst's into flames. I could smell smoke everywhere (Coming in through the hot air) and I could barely see in front of me. I was trying to avoid him (trying to get into right hand lane), but then he went into the right hand lane so I had to avoid him again. Then his door swung open (interior COVERED in smoke, just billowing everywhere) and he jumped out. Fire trucks came approx. two minutes later and they still could not put out flame. Not sure if it's put out yet, hope so.

HRD2PLZ
10-29-2002, 11:17 PM
That would suck! :thumbsdow Glad to hear the guy made it out alright. What kind of car was it?

Dope Dealer
10-29-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
That would suck! :thumbsdow Glad to hear the guy made it out alright. What kind of car was it?

It was sort of hard to make out with all the smoke (Could barely breath ;)). I believe it was an older Celica possibly, maybe a Merkur? Something that looked liked those. I know they don't look alike, but those were my thoughts when I saw it.

5gluder
10-29-2002, 11:19 PM
Man that's crazy. Happened to me once, in my old car i guess there was some wires loosed behind the deck, all i remember was alot of smoke. I ended up, turning the car off ripping my deck out and finding the melted wires, had to pull them apart and tape them up.

[GaGe]
10-29-2002, 11:30 PM
That's insane!

HRD2PLZ
10-29-2002, 11:32 PM
:rofl: coulda been a celica. I was driving one of my friends once and her car started smoking out of the steering column! I pulled over jumped out of her car and couldn't stop laughing. I felt bad, but it wasn't really anything I could have done.

And, I've driven her car since, but with no wire shorts :D

RSeXy
10-29-2002, 11:38 PM
that's crazy!

there are so many accidents this week. my dad got in one...some lady in a civic t-boned him...but it wasn't bad.

and coming home on 14th st tonite i noticed an accident....turns out some moron crashed into the light pole at the intersection that is right infront of the police station! ....at least he didn't have to wait long for the cops to show up.

Blue Devil 2
10-29-2002, 11:43 PM
That would be very scary even just to see happen. Maybe there will be pics in the news paper. Or, maybe I should drive down and check it out...

Dope Dealer
10-29-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Blue Devil 2
That would be very scary even just to see happen. Maybe there will be pics in the news paper. Or, maybe I should drive down and check it out...

Do you live in the NW? Like one month ago, I saw some dude driving an MR2 -- black, with the same rims you had, but he was white with some blonde chick. That was before you sold the car. Thought you were Asian though, so wasn't sure.

BTW -- It scared the shit out of me to see it happen. I was just thinking what if the flames hit the gas tank or something. The flames were all over the place. From the tires, out of the engine and even under the body of the car and the firemen could not contain the blaze. Smoke was really dark too, drifting over and above the houses on the BLVD (Hamptons).

Blue Devil 2
10-30-2002, 12:52 AM
Dope Dealer, yeah i do live in the nw actually...you might of seen me but I'm not sure though because there was another guy who lived in the edgemont area with an identical mr2...

ninjak84
10-30-2002, 01:25 PM
That happened to me about a year ago on Deerfoot.
This van about 30 feet infront of me started spewing black clouds of smoke and swerving around. Visibility was at 0, and everyone had to stop. The guy got out and flipped his lid on the spot. He was cursing everything Ford, and told people not to buy a Ford, and if they drove one, their car was a pile of crap.

I found it humorous once I found out he was ok:)

Big_Six_Boy
10-30-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84
That happened to me about a year ago on Deerfoot.
This van about 30 feet infront of me started spewing black clouds of smoke and swerving around. Visibility was at 0, and everyone had to stop. The guy got out and flipped his lid on the spot. He was cursing everything Ford, and told people not to buy a Ford, and if they drove one, their car was a pile of crap.

I found it humorous once I found out he was ok:)

Well, you know what they say....

FORD = Found On Road Dead
FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily

Hahahahahahaa.... :rofl:

redline_13000
10-30-2002, 08:18 PM
fukin old road disaster

Big_Six_Boy
10-30-2002, 08:29 PM
Wanna hear a story about a flaming car?
This one wen up in flames right in FRONT of me... at a GAS STATION... :eek:
I don't know if any of you guys ever saw this car at SS, but last year it went up flames.
We were heading out to Vancouver (Aug18), and had to gas up at the Shell station by COP. The car is heavily modified, so the exhaust pipe had to be on the *same* side as the gas tank fueler. My friend overfilled it a little bit and gas spewed out over the exhaust pipe. Next thing ... POOF!! the car goes up in flames! Everyone just took off right there and then.. even the gas attendant. The car burned there for like a good 10 minutes before the firetrucks came and put it out. Lucky the car never blew up!
Here are the pics:

http://www3.telus.net/technet/pics/MR2_flame1.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/technet/pics/MR2_flame2.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/technet/pics/MR2_flame3.jpg

ninjak84
10-31-2002, 12:59 AM
I've seen that car bfore a couple of times I think....
It was gorgeous.... :(

James
10-31-2002, 01:20 AM
Damn!!! poor MR2!:( .....Did he have Dual-Exhaust? it looks like the Exhaust is on the Right Side, but the Gass tank is on the Left, how did that happen, unless fo course it was Dual Exhaust:dunno:

MrX
10-31-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer

It was sort of hard to make out with all the smoke (Could barely breath ;)). I believe it was an older Celica possibly, maybe a Merkur? Something that looked liked those. I know they don't look alike, but those were my thoughts when I saw it.

haha...it could've been a merkur. If not maintained well two things can happen:

1. fuel injectors leak, thus gas fumes in hot engine bay!
2. turbo oil return line leaks, thus hot oil in hot engine bay, beside hot exhaust manifold!

Luckily my XR is kept in good shape:)

Big_Six_Boy
10-31-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by James
Damn!!! poor MR2!:( .....Did he have Dual-Exhaust? it looks like the Exhaust is on the Right Side, but the Gass tank is on the Left, how did that happen, unless fo course it was Dual Exhaust:dunno:

No, it wasn't dual exhaust. Just a single 3". The problem is that the engine is from a '93 Turbo, and an intercooler was added (on top). This made for some creative ways to direct the hosing and exhaust. As a results, the exhaust pipe had to be on the *same* side as the fuel tank (very dangerous... cars never come like this from the factory).
Cases where a car has dual, there are other precausions taken (a shield over the pipes).

James
10-31-2002, 06:48 PM
Ahhh, ic , that would have been one fast ass MR2!!:hitit:

ConVict
11-04-2002, 11:21 AM
The first time I ever drove my Red probe, I was taking it out to show some buddies and get some Mcdicks! It was snowy on the ground and I am just driving along with my buddie driving behind me!
get to the Mcdicks parking lot and bust a really nice E brake slide, all I see is super huge sparks flying out of my hood! I stop and my engine Bay was on fire... The battery was lose and the metal rod landed on the ground or something, and melted it into a puddle and it started a fire with the bottom of the battery tray ( good thing it didnt blow up )
So my buddie pulls up we put snow on it, it goes away!
He says to me, Oh it was a Fire, I saw sparks coming from your car for like 3 blocks back...I thought you were doing that on purpose... sorry...
:thumbsdow