PDA

View Full Version : Problems with car rental... advice?

Boostn
07-12-2004, 01:35 AM
I just returned a car I rented from one of the Budget locations in Calgary. The attendant noticed a small quarter sized paint chip in the front bumper and forced me to sign out an accident report. They basically accused me of causing this minor damage which I had not. When I picked up the vehicle the lot boy did not do a walk around of the car with me. They just gave me the keys and told me I was good to go. Are they not responsible to initiate this walk around of the vehicle? I didn't notice the problem until I got the car home. At that point I didn't think a paint chip would be a problem, certainly not constitute filling out an accident report for sure. They were being a bit over picky if you ask me. Luckily I did have the ldw extra insurance on the vehicle but if a claim was made by Budget, would that show up on my records as a claim??? I don't want my insurance rates to increase over something I didn't do. I plan to speak with a manager first thing in the morning. Any advice or info appreciated! Thanks.

DarkDream
07-12-2004, 02:02 AM
I think it will go on record of it as a claim if it goes through.....

but when you got the car there was something you needed to sign for...... they do a walk around with you and check off any damages and then they get you to sign it....... ask them for the sheet..... hehehe yeah i rented a car once and i and i chipped the paint off the side skirt.... hehe just made it nice and smooth so its not noticable.......

unless they didn't do a walk through instead they got you to sign a paper stating that they did...... did you read all the paperwork before you signed when you rented the car???

Xtrema
07-12-2004, 07:46 AM
Always double check the report and the actual car before putting it in drive. Save you this sort of trouble later on.

Shaolin
07-12-2004, 07:51 AM
it depends how anal the agent was.. I used to work for Budget as a CSR about 7 years ago.. if you signed the walkaround sheet and that chip wasn't there before then well there's really not much you can do. But it doesn't sound like you did a walkaround with them so you should be ok..

m10-power
07-12-2004, 11:15 AM
What was the deductable?
I rent vehicles all the time, first thing you shouldn't have sign anything, and I don't understand how any one could force you to sign something...best bet is to refuse and request the manager call you. Most likely it will just get forgotten about.

As for those walk around sheets they are a joke, push comes to shove I would doubt it would mean anything in court, especially over a paint chip.