PDA

View Full Version : Studying help (need badly)

crx62
07-12-2004, 02:24 PM
Ok i am in summer school doing chem 30 I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A TUTOR i need some tips on studying and on how to reatin and recall information.

My brain seems like it is coated with pam or something, i am not retaining anything, and the class is almost half over it ends on july 30th and my diploma is on aug 10th.

please advise me on some tips on how to study for chem.

Weapon_R
07-12-2004, 02:50 PM
There was a thread like this a few weeks ago.

The most effective way to study is repetition. No other method has been proven to be any more effective.

crx62
07-12-2004, 03:03 PM
what do u mean by repetition? writing out, reading?

Dont forget my course is only a month long i dont have alot of time, plus i am already failing the course i have 33% but it probably dropped after this test i just did:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Krayzie
07-12-2004, 03:58 PM
hey man
not to be rude or anything
but i think you should drop the class rite away
your diploma is worth 50% of your mark and if your current mark stays you will be going into the diploma with a 16.5%, so you would have to Ace the diploma to get 67%..
as for studying...Weapon_R is rite...that thread has everything you need

max_boost
07-12-2004, 04:00 PM
I don't get you kids, why bother going to school if you aren't going to try? I know you busy with STampede and work and everything else going on, but you are better off gambling that tuition money than failing a course! My two cents......

Studying and learning is something you should do from day 1, like weaponR said, review that shit until you can recite it. :D

crx62
07-12-2004, 04:02 PM
yo we only finished 1 out of 4 units so far, i still have a very good chance to get a 65%+ if i study my ass off and manage to retain it all. then i will ace the course, i can do it.

I will not be beaten by this course i am going to beat the crap out of it.

Gainsbarre
07-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Is the first unit for Chem 30 still energetics? If it is then you might be screwed. I found it to be the easiest unit by far...the third unit (Acid-Base) nearly killed me back when I took it in 2001. Now I realized I just wasted my time taking chem 20/30 & bio 20/30 in high school...got into the U of C without presenting any of those grades for admission.

If you have a textbook then read over it and WRITE the key points/ideas on a separate sheet of paper. Study off of those (not the textbook) to prepare for the exam.

crx62
07-12-2004, 04:14 PM
yeah the units go in order

1.energy
2.rates
3.acid/bases
4.oxidation and reduction.

sync
07-12-2004, 07:17 PM
chem licks ass.

however, here's my study tips:

1. write everything down. i don't care if you just copy the main points right out of the text, just write it down.

1a. write it down again. and then again.

2. talk to yourself outloud. no, really, it works. study "outloud"

3. study in 30 minute chunks, taking a 5 minute break every 25 minutes. do as many 30 minute chunks as you can without wasting your time. there is a point where you're just simply not going to retain any more information with any kind of permanence.

4. reward yourself for good habits.

good luck.

and if things haven't changed since i went to school and you're 18 with a diploma already, then this exam can count for 100% of your final mark.

i went into the math 30 final with 45% and got 84% on the final and 84 was my final mark.

but things may have changed.

booboo7
07-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Writing things down and reading them over and over again work really well if you have to memorize the textbook. When I was in chem30, all of the exams were mostly problem solving type questions. I barely even bothered to read the textbook and just did as many problems as necessary to understand how to do each of the different types. I assume different schools/teachers are different. You should make sure to find out what types of questions are on the exam and decide the best way to study based on that.

xrayvsn
07-12-2004, 09:55 PM
For the diploma, do as many old exams as possible. They have a question bank, and similar questions get asked every year. They usually change the numbers, so don't get caught staright memorizing the questions.

It is more to learn how to go about answering each type of question. Exams like the diplomas are purely pattern recognition. The best way to study for them is to do old exams. Trying to rote memorize the testbook is boring, and wastes your time.

Learning for the sake of learning, and learning to do well on a multiple choice exam are not always the same thing. There are a lot of tricks to writing an exam, and even if you think you know your stuff, there will be question types that you will have trouble with unless you've seen that type of question before.

crx62
07-13-2004, 12:00 AM
cool thanks guys

kiwi
07-13-2004, 03:15 PM
I don't really remember what was taught in Chem30, but your best way to study for it is by doing tons & tons of problems!
I'm sure your teacher does example problems in class, so make sure you understand the notes & those examples...

Also, you could purchase The Key or whatever it's called from Chapters or something... if you don't have the patience or concentration to read the whole textbook, then The Key might be able to sum everything up for you in a simpler way...

Good luck!

Chester
07-14-2004, 10:11 PM
chem is easy. Just read notes and do problems. I did that for one night and manage a 78 on the diploma.

car
07-15-2004, 01:16 AM
studying should be fairly easy, since ur at 33%, ur probably not aiming anywhere higher than 60, just rewrite others peoples notes, and hopefully have them explain it to u while ur copying
good luck:thumbsup:

car
07-15-2004, 01:23 AM
wait a minute...
haha, i just realized im taking that same course in summer school now too. so far we've done reaction kinetics and rates,
i say for rates, get as many worksheets as u can, im sure ur teacher has tons. once u've seen all the types of questions, its all just punching stuff into the calculator

hondarunner
07-15-2004, 01:43 AM
I disagree with everybody who say repition is the only way to learn. I finished taking chem 30 in the first semester this year and finished with a 96%, and i never sat down once to memorize. The key thing is to learn the theories (like truly understand) and find out how to apply it to different situations.
One trick i can give you with stoichiometry is to make sure all your units cancell. If you dont know what you are doing, you can stil do it right if you know what you want to end up with and make sure your units cancell properly.

crx62
07-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by car
studying should be fairly easy, since ur at 33%, ur probably not aiming anywhere higher than 60, just rewrite others peoples notes, and hopefully have them explain it to u while ur copying
good luck:thumbsup:

yo i am aiming very high, but i just for some reason not understanding this stupid course, i know it is not hard, but i dont seem to be getting it fast enough!:cry: :cry: :cry:

car
07-18-2004, 11:40 PM
well its good to aim high, have u taken physics? i found that really helped me to understand reaction kinetics