PDA

View Full Version : So many MP3s - how to keep track?

DSM Power
10-30-2002, 12:52 PM
So I've managed to fill up quite a few gigs of diskspace with my MP3s, and I've burned a bunch out to CD even... The problem is I'm losing track of which songs are on what CD. :confused:

Does anyone have a good database or tool for keeping track of this stuff? I'd really like one that auto-scans the directory and picks up the ID3 tags, bitrate, etc. but I'll take what I can get. :nut:

Thanks!

5gluder
10-30-2002, 12:57 PM
What i did was go into the file list screen(my computer, cd-drive), used the print screen button and pasted in word, paint etc. Then resized the picture so it's the same size as the cd insert and printed it.

Ben
10-30-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by DSM Power
So I've managed to fill up quite a few gigs of diskspace with my MP3s, and I've burned a bunch out to CD even... The problem is I'm losing track of which songs are on what CD. :confused:

Does anyone have a good database or tool for keeping track of this stuff? I'd really like one that auto-scans the directory and picks up the ID3 tags, bitrate, etc. but I'll take what I can get. :nut:

Thanks!
I have one.

it puts them into a txt doc in this format:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=751

contact me on MSN or ICQ if you would like it.

BTW, thats an old list...I have lots more now

GTS Jeff
10-30-2002, 02:11 PM
i just keep all my mp3s named in a consistent format and i keep them on my hard drive. with 240gigs ill never need to backup my mp3s on cd!

bol
10-30-2002, 02:20 PM
I'm with Jeff Type R... when have a lot of audio it's VERY NICE to have them all named in a consistance scheme with all the ID3 info filled in (at least title, artist and album.)

With Winamp3's massive playlist editor(which sucks for small playlists by the way) it makes managing a lot of data like that easily based on all the ID3 information. If you do it right, it becomes a very easy to use jukebox!

DSM Power
10-31-2002, 12:34 PM
Hmm, thanks for the ideas. I do keep a ton on the disk but if the disk ever dies... :eek: I guess I'll hunt around download.com and see what I can find there. ;)

BTW Benny, nice list. :D

sexualbanana
10-31-2002, 01:40 PM
agreed. i keep all the file names in the same format and then i create different directories for different genres like pop, r&b, rap, techno, that kinda stuff