PDA

View Full Version : Lancer users speak out

jhwyung
07-12-2004, 09:43 PM
Hey guys,
thinking of buying a new 2004 Lancer, tell me the pros and cons about ur car, is it good? what's bad? how's maintenence? does it keep up? that sorta stuff...
thanks!

Ichigo
07-13-2004, 08:01 AM
Keep up with what? My bro's been complaining how the car lacks power... As for maintanence the engine bay is pretty simple.. So you can probably pull a do it yourselfer.. is the Evo coming out yet??

Xtrema
07-13-2004, 08:27 AM
Normal Lancer can't keep up with anything else on the road.

Ralliart is better but build quality is bad. And for it's price, I can get the Impreza with about the same performance AND AWD.

With Mitsu going under any minute, unless you're really a fan, I don't see why anyone will buy this crap. Mazda3 GT is way better car for the money.

The only Mitsu worth buying is EVO and it won't get here if Mitsu goes under.

heavyD
07-13-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Ralliart is better but build quality is bad. And for it's price, I can get the Impreza with about the same performance AND AWD.

With Mitsu going under any minute, unless you're really a fan, I don't see why anyone will buy this crap. Mazda3 GT is way better car for the money.

Five minutes gone by and Mitsubishi motors is still in business. Go figure.:werd:

GSR Zero
07-13-2004, 09:47 AM
The one thing my bro doesn't like is the frequency of the suggested maintenance. Most cars now require some type of maintenance every 6-8000 km. His '03 Lancer OZ needs maintenance every 5000km. Adds up on ya.

hatetank
07-13-2004, 09:52 AM
all show, no go.

That.Guy.S30
07-13-2004, 11:54 AM

?? the ralliart is cheaper than an impreza. or at least when i looked at them. the first year they came out they were drit cheap and costed wayyyy less than the impreza. they have MORE power than an impreza rs/ts and performance wise it is BETTER than an impreza stock vs stock.

normal lancers can keep up with cars in its power range ex. civic dx.. etc etc.

heavyD
07-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Lancer Ralliart:

2.4L SOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder MIVEC engine
Horsepower: 162 hp @ 5750 rpm

Lancers with the 2.4L are about as quick as a Celica GTS so they can keep up with most. 2004's are new models so reliability is uncertain. You can expect about industry average.

That.Guy.S30
07-13-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Lancer Ralliart:

2.4L SOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder MIVEC engine
Horsepower: 162 hp @ 5750 rpm

Lancers with the 2.4L are about as quick as a Celica GTS so they can keep up with most. 2004's are new models so reliability is uncertain. You can expect about industry average.

yes. ive done quarter mile against one, where i get the jump and that thing in the end kills me. hahahahaha both cars are stock.

C4S
07-13-2004, 01:12 PM
:) they r not bad ..

however, where is the Lancer EVO VFQ ? that is the kind of car should come to North America ! Quickest 4 doors Object in the world ! :D

ehos
07-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Buy a 2G Eclipse :)

rice_eater
07-13-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by GSR Zero
The one thing my bro doesn't like is the frequency of the suggested maintenance. Most cars now require some type of maintenance every 6-8000 km. His '03 Lancer OZ needs maintenance every 5000km. Adds up on ya.

the oil in those cars must look great after 8k of abuse :rolleyes:

GSR Zero
07-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by rice_eater

the oil in those cars must look great after 8k of abuse :rolleyes:

I don't think it looks that bad. Acura recommends the EL's to have an oil change every 8K ;)

jhwyung
07-13-2004, 05:02 PM
sry, i should of added that I am a graduating student and 4 years of university in Ontario Canada have basically stripped me of any cash (I ate Mac and Cheese for the last month :( ). I'm really just looking for a car that'll get from point A to B.
I too heard about Mitsu going under but considering how big the company is (it's the largest supplier of military hardware to the Japanese Government) and how many different industries it has a hold on dont you think they'll end up getting bought out by a larger company or merge, like Ford did to Mazda and Volvo?
I'm optimistic, I really dont care about passing other cars and whatnot and this is a serious increase in coolness factor since the car that it's replacing is a '93 Plymouth Voyager (no kidding, I drove around that rust bucket for 2 yrs before the emissions gave out) so I really just need a car until I can pay off student debt. And it's quoted to have REALLY cheap insurance rates.

With that taken into consideration, and the only other alternative being the Corolla, I am making a good choice? (Please say yes)

:dunno:

heavyD
07-14-2004, 07:32 AM
Any new car isn't really a bad choice if it suits your needs & preferences as you will have warranty for the first 3-5 years of owning it. I know a few people at work that have bought the 2004 Lancer Ralliart and they love them.

Xtrema
07-14-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs

yes. ive done quarter mile against one, where i get the jump and that thing in the end kills me. hahahahaha both cars are stock.

TS/RS loses a bit of power due to AWD. Remember, despite the Ralliart name, this Lancer is still FWD.

As for price:
Ralliart $22K Advantage: Spoiler/Rims
Impreza TS $23K Advantage: AWD
Mazda 3 GT $21.5K Advnatge: Hot looking inside and out

Redlyne_mr2
07-14-2004, 09:19 AM
The gear boxes in those cars are crap but they are smoothcars on the highway and are something different from a civic. The engine is almost too quiet though, I found it a little tough to revmatch at first.

heavyD
07-14-2004, 11:20 AM

TS/RS loses a bit of power due to AWD. Remember, despite the Ralliart name, this Lancer is still FWD.

As for price:

Is it me or does the Mazda 3 look like a Jetta from some angles? While I find the overall shape appealing (interior looks great), the nose/beak/grill thing kinda looks homely.

That.Guy.S30
07-14-2004, 02:58 PM

As for price:

i think the price went up for the ralliarts last year. i remmebr it was low 20-21 g's. but heres a question, if he has no use for AWD whast the piont of buying a subaru over the other two? i find the ralliart soooo much more fun to drive then my ts.

dude just buy a toyota echo hatch.. those things look hot lol

PhenomSE
07-14-2004, 04:54 PM

:werd: :rofl:

The EquAzn
07-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
The gear boxes in those cars are crap but they are smoothcars on the highway and are something different from a civic. The engine is almost too quiet though, I found it a little tough to revmatch at first.

:werd:
Hey man, I own a 2003 lancer OZ...
To be honest I love my car, but I would have bought somehting different if I had the chance to travel back in time.

Pros
good on gas
nice interior
nice sound system
girls say its a "cute" car

Cons
slow as hell
5K service
clutch seems sensitive (like most mitsus)
all show no go (but I don't race)

If you get a lancer, make sure its the ralli-art
any more questions PM me.

jhwyung
07-14-2004, 06:54 PM
i jus got back from the dealership.
I bought the es with the luxury package and the convience package for $19500 after taxes and such.
It was a steal.
I get it on Saturday.

Be happy for me. I have wheels now.

SOOOOOO LONG PUBLIC TRANSIT

rogue
07-14-2004, 10:14 PM
i am happy for you i just hope you dont regret the purchase after awile. My car is a great car and very zippy mated with a cold air intake and sounds pretty mean but i wish i had got what i really wanted :( :cry: :banghead:

dugrant153
07-15-2004, 12:10 AM
excellent buy :D
tell us about your fun driving experiences, eh?

jak
07-15-2004, 08:45 AM
if you want a cheap car that can get you around try the echo hatch~... its an amazing car... and light on gas~

crazydriver27
07-15-2004, 04:01 PM
get a EVO !!!!

its a monster machine~!!!!

I felt more G force on EVO then the STi

cuz of high turbo boost.

If you want to get EVO! let me know...I will drive it up to Canada~!!! :thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
07-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by crazydriver27
get a EVO !!!!

cuz of high turbo boost.

If you want to get EVO! let me know...I will drive it up to Canada~!!! :thumbsup: BAN

A_3
07-15-2004, 04:51 PM
get a EVO !!!!

cuz of high turbo boost.

If you want to get EVO! let me know...I will drive it up to Canada~!!! :thumbsup:

you=dumb...

anyways Lancers make great cars, they are nothing special but fun to drive around and great on gas... just hope Mitsu doesn't go down... :(

Ridelikeme
07-15-2004, 05:02 PM

i think the price went up for the ralliarts last year. i remmebr it was low 20-21 g's. but heres a question, if he has no use for AWD whast the piont of buying a subaru over the other two? i find the ralliart soooo much more fun to drive then my ts.

:barf:

Originally posted by PhenomSE

:werd: :rofl:

Originally posted by jak
if you want a cheap car that can get you around try the echo hatch~... its an amazing car... and light on gas~

being self own3d

crazydriver27
07-15-2004, 05:13 PM
i brought my BMW from California to Canada last time and registered there..

EVO is not impossible to register in Canada.

If you want to know more on EVO registering in Canada let me know..

My brother has a EVO and I might going to bring it to Canada..

It is a blue...

U can see some pictures at [RIDES] and look for EVO

thanks

Shawn

www.gripforce.com

big_k
07-15-2004, 05:44 PM
I test drove the Ralli-Art and liked it. It with the sun and sound package (sunroof and better stereo) it was a tick under 25K. But it was the last they had, and if i wanted it, they would ship in the '05 in the colour i want and options i want, and give me '04 pricing, and that is pending final test drive aswell. So it was good that way. i thought the car was peppy enough to have some fun in. The gearbox was kinda weird, but got used to it easily. All and all good car for the price.

kevie88
07-15-2004, 07:10 PM
i brought my BMW from California to Canada last time and registered there..

EVO is not impossible to register in Canada.

If you want to know more on EVO registering in Canada let me know..

My brother has a EVO and I might going to bring it to Canada..

It is a blue...

U can see some pictures at [RIDES] and look for EVO

thanks

Shawn

www.gripforce.com

WRONG

Go here:

http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

Scroll down to the Mitsubishi and you'll see a big fat INADMISSIBLE above the Lancer Evo. not gonna happen.

GTS Jeff
07-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Ridelikeme

being self own3d

:barf: echo hatch is a good idea. unfortunately, there are inbreds every now and then that cant appreciate them for what they are.

dugrant153
07-16-2004, 11:07 AM
go test drive the Ralliart. It's quite a fun car.
the tires really suck, though. They're great for all around weather, but when it dries up, you can chirp them really easily.

Ralliart + summer performance tire = :thumbsup:

Sure, it's not an Evo (Although we all wish it was), but insurance and car payments on this car is probably a lot cheaper than an Evo.
I see the Ralliart as a great commuter/autoX car.

nd123
08-08-2004, 03:40 AM
I'm looking at buying a 2004 Lancer... I was going to go for an OZ with ABS but it seems to me that I'd pay more for that than a Ralliart (w/out the sun & sound or anything..). I may have written the prices down wrong, or am I missing something? Does the OZ have something that the Ralliart, for some reason, doesn't?

Also, is there any difference between the LS and OZ other than the OZ name on the wheels (do these wheels actually give the car any advantage over the LS and/or Ralliart wheels?) and the fact that "OZ-Rally" is all over the car?

Sorry, I know I sound clueless (and I am) but I just wanna make sure that if I buy a Lancer I don't end up wasting $ on the wrong model... can anyone help me out here?

dam_guy
08-08-2004, 04:38 AM
i don't think there is any difference between the LS model and OZ Rally model. i believe they both share the same engine and the OZ Rally edition is just a sports package that includes rims and a spoiler...

Rydog
08-12-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by dam_guy
i don't think there is any difference between the LS model and OZ Rally model. i believe they both share the same engine and the OZ Rally edition is just a sports package that includes rims and a spoiler...

bang on. oz edition is just a fancier looking base model with a nicer interior. same engine and all the rest.

I own a Ralliart Lancer and fricken love it. For those that think the gear box is 'weird' it's possibly because you may have never shifted with a short throw (close ratio) gear box. the gear box, seats, and clutch in the Ralliart are all directly from the JDM Evo. certainly not garbage by any means.
The engine is a MIVEC engine, similar to VTEC in that it has variable valve timing, however it is only on the intake rather than both the intake and the exhaust like the newer i-VTEC has (hence the reason the rsx-s is 200hp). the upside tho is that the MIVEC kicks in at 3500rpm (very noticable too!! it feels almost like turbo) where as the vtec kicks in closer to 5k rpm.
Shocks are stiffer, 3 point strut tower bar, stainless exhaust and header style exhaust manifold are some other performance goodies that the Ralliart comes with that the other models don't.
there are others, just can't remember them all. stance is also lowered compared to regular lancers. comes with 16" rims rather than stingy 14's or 15's (oz model), but like dugrant said, the tires suck ass.
anyways, just thought i'd throw in my 2 cents worth since i own one and love it.

by the way, the evo VIIII arrives end of next year, redesigned front bumper will now pass CDN crash standards. MSRP will be about $47K Canadian and will be 'rated' at approximately 297HP.
start saving up boys and girls and watch out STI owners.:guns:

That.Guy.S30
08-12-2004, 12:19 AM
^^ i was goin to post almost the exact same thing about the gearbox. haha where did you hear the evo info from? i saw the evo 10 concept.. looks like shit imo

EK 2.0
08-12-2004, 12:48 AM
is the EVO rumour confirmed now??...if so I will hold off on the STI plans...

Rydog
08-12-2004, 08:54 AM
was told from a VERY reliable source who has asked me not to be named. Next year, approx $47k, approx 297HP.

///M3
08-12-2004, 08:45 PM
Oh shit i hope the Evo comes to canada. And ill be the first to drive it:drool:. gotta love thos PDIs.

heavyD
08-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Rydog
was told from a VERY reliable source who has asked me not to be named. Next year, approx $47k, approx 297HP.

It's true!:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: There is a god! I'm so happy i could cry.:cry: :cry: :cry:

EK 2.0
08-13-2004, 12:51 AM
then I guess I have to hold off on the potential STI plans...

Pihsiak
08-13-2004, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by kevie88

WRONG

Go here:

http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

Scroll down to the Mitsubishi and you'll see a big fat INADMISSIBLE above the Lancer Evo. not gonna happen.

Anyway you can find out if we can Bring in a Scion?
Went thru a phase where I wanted a Xa just for shits and giggle.

Tilly
08-13-2004, 09:45 AM
So, according to that website, a GTR is possible to import? That is, as long as it's registerable in the USA?:

ADMISSIBLE::::
NISSAN/INFINITI ALL 1988 TO 2004 MODELS
EXCEPT THOSE LISTED IN THE
INADMISSIBLE COLUMN

INADMISSIBLE::::
1988 MAXIMA WITH PASSIVE RESTRAINT
SYSTEM
1991 TO 1994 SENTRA WITH PASSIVE
RESTRAINT SYSTEM
1989 TO 1991 240SX WITH PASSIVE
RESTRAINT SYSTEM.
1992 240SX CONVERTIBLE