PDA

View Full Version : Driving in hot weather.

leutyc
07-12-2004, 11:21 PM
I am going to be doing highway driveing in the next week. and i don'thave A/C so the windows will be down. Does it help to have the heater on like the floor or windshild to cool the engine? Or is it just best to leave the fan on high?

StupidWade
07-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Keep an eye on the temperature gauge.

If the gauge starts getting into the red zone, turn on the heater full blast but find a garage ASAP. The heater will only delay the overheating problem for a few extra minutes.

If the gauge stays out of the red zone, everything is A-OK.

(Check your coolant level before you leave, of course. No sense begging for trouble.)

Seanith
07-12-2004, 11:31 PM
If your concerned about the engine overheating, might as well put the heat on and face the vents out of the windows..

illeagle
07-12-2004, 11:35 PM
make sure you have a cooler temp thermostat installed before you leave.. Oil change or top up of fluids, and plenty of washer fluid. If your really worried, bring some tools, a new thermostat, and coolant, leave it in the trunk ;)

ryder_23
07-12-2004, 11:37 PM
If your driving on the highway, i shouldnt see you really havin an over heating problem, unless your car is notorious for doing so... as for driving with the windows down...just remember, after driving at 110km/h + with the windows down for so long, dont be upset when you cant hear for 24hrs, when i did that on way back from BC, i couldnt hear anything for a day, just ringing the whole time...:thumbsup:

ZorroAMG
07-13-2004, 01:55 AM
Your car shouldn't overheat on the highway, otherwise it's not road worthy and should not be taken on the trip. The engine will be in high gear, lower revs and have sufficient airflow to cool it....

Good luck, drive safe..

GTS Jeff
07-13-2004, 01:58 AM
u guys, its a jbody!!!

anyway, if your cooling system leaks, bring a tank of water with u.

GQBalla
07-13-2004, 02:01 AM
or juss use your tool:rolleyes: .........................go to the washroom ! ahahh jk yeah bring bottle of water

GQBalla
07-13-2004, 02:01 AM
sorry for double post but would goin to the washroom actually work??

Natalie
07-13-2004, 03:06 AM
Hi ALL
i'm new here
Does anybody heard about problems with the Mazda 3 aircondition system.
i have a new one, and it doesnt seem to manage the high tempratures here.....

please let me know if u have the same problem...:burnout:

Rockski
07-13-2004, 07:19 AM
the ride should be fine and go without a hitch, but for safty sake check all your fluids, have a good drive

leutyc
07-13-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Your car shouldn't overheat on the highway, otherwise it's not road worthy and should not be taken on the trip. The engine will be in high gear, lower revs and have sufficient airflow to cool it....

Good luck, drive safe..

Well i have owned the car a year and it has NEVER even come close to over heating, i just thought it might be a little easyer on the Engine if that little heat was being removed, Is there anyway to tell if the temp gauge in the car works or not. Cause i know it will warm up a little, but after driving rush hour stop and go in hot weather it seems not to move and i am just not sure if it works 100%. I will go check all the levels now.

Thanks

QuasarCav
07-13-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by leutyc

Well i have owned the car a year and it has NEVER even come close to over heating, i just thought it might be a little easyer on the Engine if that little heat was being removed, Is there anyway to tell if the temp gauge in the car works or not. Cause i know it will warm up a little, but after driving rush hour stop and go in hot weather it seems not to move and i am just not sure if it works 100%. I will go check all the levels now.

Thanks

do you have the 3.1 or 2.2?

I put a lower temp thermostat in mine for the summer and it runs alot cooler.

Just dont buy a 160 buy a 180.

leutyc
07-13-2004, 09:22 AM
3.1, go big or go home.

QuasarCav
07-13-2004, 10:01 AM
3.1, go big or go home.

OKay, Just make sure you have airflow. these things hardly ever overheat. My temp gauge sits above the quarter mark most of the time.

rc2002
07-13-2004, 10:04 AM
Air conditioning actually creates a lot of heat in your engine bay. Your engine would be better off without it anyway. As Zorro said, at highway speeds there's tons of air flow to flush the heat away. You should be fine.

leutyc
07-13-2004, 10:35 AM
Well thanks guys all so much, this has all put my mind at ease, i had a picture in my head of me and my car on the side of the road. I know my car can trake alot but was not sure if it could take this, now it is up to me, can i drive 7 hours in +30 weather without cruz to BC.

O and is it bad if i was to wear ear plugs or at least one in my left ear so the wind does not effect it as much?

fast95pony
07-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Uhh..this weather is not hot . 35C and up is hot.....

If your car can't handle 20C-25C , something is very wrong.

fast95pony
07-13-2004, 01:34 PM

O and is it bad if i was to wear ear plugs or at least one in my left ear so the wind does not effect it as much?

You should get some nose pinchers too. All that fresh air being forced in your car and up your nostrils might cause you to actually say something intelligent !

Just too funny ...:rofl:

rice_eater
07-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Well thanks guys all so much, this has all put my mind at ease, i had a picture in my head of me and my car on the side of the road. I know my car can trake alot but was not sure if it could take this, now it is up to me, can i drive 7 hours in +30 weather without cruz to BC.

dude i drove my neon on the way back from kingston last summer for 30 hours pretty much straight (stopped for gas and piss breaks only), through the scorching summer heat and i had no problem. if a neon can make it... you'll be fine as long as your fluid isnt half gone

As for the earplugs, i suggest Safeway bright orange plugs...very easy to spot by the other drivers so they can get a good laugh

leutyc
07-13-2004, 09:05 PM
thanks....

Assholes. LOL

But ya fluids are good, car is almost packed, all i have to do it get up put ice in the cooler and leave thanks all for your help.

bighead2267
07-13-2004, 09:16 PM
just wondering, if u really concern about over heat, why not get the coolant flush and let the ppl check out is there any leak or what so over,,,,,i knwo it's kinda late to tell u, but hope this help as well

leutyc
07-13-2004, 09:19 PM
i am not worryed at all, i was just wondering if it would be easyer on the engine in genral if the heater was on, but its point less. like my car runs and is perfect, so i thought i could help the engine by running the heater.

ryder_23
07-13-2004, 11:45 PM
^
you should be fine....i've done the bc trip several times, and it was around 42degrees in kelowna and we got stuck in traffic :thumbsdow and temp gauge didnt move.... and yes i'd recommend ear pluggs, but not that big of a deal... i'm just stating from personal experience after a 740km drive with the window down, i was pretty deaf for a day or two, from my left ear :thumbsup:

finboy
07-14-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
u guys, its a jbody!!!

:thumbsup: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: