PDA

View Full Version : Calgary bakery and restaurant fined

rage2
07-13-2004, 12:17 PM
Unsafe food leads to fines

By KEVIN MARTIN, CALGARY SUN

Consumers want food that not only tastes good, but is safe to eat, a Calgary judge said yesterday in fining a Chinatown bakery and two of its directors. "People ought to feel secure when they go to a restaurant that the food is palatable and safe to consume," provincial court Judge William Pepler said.

Diamond Bakery Company, and Henry Chan and Duong Quong Ho each pleaded guilty to three separate charges under the Public Health Act.

The pleas followed similar admissions by Calgary Court Restaurant of violating the provincial statute, but Pepler said he wanted to hear from owner Winnie Wai-Man Chan before levelling any fines.

Prosecutor Rob O'Neill said Diamond Bakery was selling perishable food items -- such as meat-filled buns -- at its 3 Ave. S.E. store at unsafe temperatures.

"They're basically just standing Petri dishes," O'Neill said outside court.

Chan and Ho were each handed fines and surcharges of $2,760, while the bakery must pay $1,380.

In a separate case Calgary Court, on 2 Ave. S.E., admitted four charges under the PHA.

O'Neill told Pepler health inspectors found unsafe conditions in the restaurants including cockroaches in an upstairs storage room and flies in the basement.

rage2
07-13-2004, 12:19 PM
The bakery one isn't bad, I keep my BBQ pork buns at room temperature for up to a week at home. Calgary court is a bit scarier... cockroaches and flies... eww.

hatetank
07-13-2004, 12:36 PM
http://webpages.acs.ttu.edu/dgilfoil/Chewy's%20puking%20still.JPG

That.Guy.S30
07-13-2004, 12:38 PM
^^ hahahaaha

B17a
07-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
^^ hahahaaha

I hope that sate chicken is sitting in properly stored temperatures. Not that it would stop me if it wasn't!

izzoblitzo
07-13-2004, 12:53 PM
Im sure alot of Chinatown establishments are like that. I saw mice in the restaurant under the cultural centre. And I saw this on three different occassions. Im pretty sure the burrow or nest is in the storage closet of the mens washroom.:thumbsup:

girlRACER
07-13-2004, 12:55 PM
Don't most Chinese bakeries keep the meat-filled buns at room temperature?

I thought that Calgary Court was fined b/c the chef jizzed on some old ladies food? I guess that's just an urban myth...like the washrooms.

Weapon_R
07-13-2004, 12:56 PM
Tons of restaurants (i'd say the majority) have a mice problem in the kitchen...

rage2
07-13-2004, 01:04 PM
Yea, but it must be BAD for them to get busted. I've worked restaurants before, and yes they're pretty nasty inside, but to get busted and fined must be pretty damn harsh.

Superesc
07-13-2004, 01:06 PM
ewww... but then I still go to Calgary court :D

boi-alien
07-13-2004, 01:09 PM
for chinese food, the dirtier it is, the better it tastes! :P

Impreza
07-13-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER

I thought that Calgary Court was fined b/c the chef jizzed on some old ladies food? I guess that's just an urban myth...like the washrooms.

I heard about that too!

I also heard that there was mouse crap in this guy's beef brisket..:barf: :barf:

And the washroom there is haunted, I get such an eerie feeling when I go. I haven't gone in years tho....

B17a
07-13-2004, 01:22 PM
When it comes to Chinatown, I'm on a 'don't ask don't tell' policy. I'd rather just not know!:barf:

Strider
07-13-2004, 01:24 PM

:werd: I always eat those buns and have never gotten sick... :confused:

Altezza
07-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Don't worry, there's enough salt and MSG in the food to keep it nice for a long time even at room temp, haha

WBB6
07-13-2004, 01:29 PM
These health inspectors should hit the streets of Hong Kong...:rofl:

lam-boy
07-13-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by boi-alien
for chinese food, the dirtier it is, the better it tastes! :P
can't forget the grease, asian food isn't asian food without the grease.

kiwi
07-13-2004, 03:08 PM
hmm... yummy... :rolleyes:
I don't think anyone here is surprised... :barf:

hee hee hee, what's up with all the haunted stories of chinatown? I've heard so many stories of different places that are haunted, such as the washrooms at Calgary court, the back alley around Dessert House, & also the Sakana Grill building... :nut:

Shaolin
07-13-2004, 03:13 PM
What's the Calgary Court? the only bakery i've ever been to in Chinatown is the one under Happy Valley.. I don't go to Chinatown often, except when I get my haircut at Hair City.. :dunno:

boi-alien
07-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by lam-boy

can't forget the grease, asian food isn't asian food without the grease.
the DIRTY grease!!! :D

That.Guy.S30
07-13-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by B17a

I hope that sate chicken is sitting in properly stored temperatures. Not that it would stop me if it wasn't! \
haha it is stored properly, my dad is a freak at food safety.

girlRACER
07-13-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by kiwi

hee hee hee, what's up with all the haunted stories of chinatown? I've heard so many stories of different places that are haunted, such as the washrooms at Calgary court, the back alley around Dessert House, & also the Sakana Grill building... :nut:

The one about Dessert House is real because I saw a girl whom I knew crying her eyes out once because she saw something.

rage2
07-13-2004, 07:36 PM
The one about Dessert House is real because I saw a girl whom I knew crying her eyes out once because she saw something.
FOB chicks cry over anything :cry: :rofl:

GTS Jeff
07-13-2004, 07:40 PM
haha a lot of my whitey friends get sick after eating out at real chinese restaurants...i think us asians have developed an immunity to the dirtiness.

girlRACER
07-13-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by rage2

FOB chicks cry over anything :cry: :rofl:

:D haha...how'd you know she was a FOB?

GQBalla
07-14-2004, 12:51 AM
ahahah i always eat those buns ive been eating them for 17 years freak taste good and dont get sick or whatever! ahahh i heard there was a ghost in the Ho Won restaurant in the mens washroom whoever goes and eats there next go into the washroom and look into the mirror:drama: ehhh i haven't been there for a while but when i do go and eat there i try not to go to the bathroom ahah anyways wheree else is the ghosts in chinatown anyone wanna share INFO so i dont go into them?

saiyajin
07-14-2004, 01:06 AM
ya man the washrooms in calgary court are so eerie my friend one time told me when he went he heard like an old lady talking outside and when he went out and went upstairs there was no one there :guns:

GQBalla
07-14-2004, 01:12 AM
ohh what tripy shiet!

saiyajin
07-14-2004, 01:17 AM
for sure hahaha it was funny wen he told me hahah hes all like 'holy shiet i ran up so fast i was gonna piss my pants even though i just went' hahaha i laughed so hard :rofl:

Strider
07-14-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
ahahh i heard there was a ghost in the Ho Won restaurant in the mens washroom whoever goes and eats there next go into the washroom and look into the mirror:drama:

gee thanks... now i can't go to the washroom there:cry:

H4LFY2nR
07-14-2004, 02:14 AM
Did someone actually get sick from the buns or was some non-asian trying to be a hero?:drama: I've never, nor has anyone else in my family ever gotten sick from those buns. Thinking about them makes me hungry, now I want some.:banghead:

Ben
07-14-2004, 02:30 AM
Humans, for the most part, don't have a clue. Don't want one, either. They're happy. They think they've got a pretty good bead on things.

These findings dont surprise me at all, but hey, such is life.

lam-boy
07-14-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
haha a lot of my whitey friends get sick after eating out at real chinese restaurants...i think us asians have developed an immunity to the dirtiness.

haha yeah man, we're used to that shit.

nosegrindR
07-15-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by boi-alien

the DIRTY grease!!! :D

and dirty msg!

and calgary court's basement is haunted, so that means the flies are part of the spirit in the basement, dun dun dun!

sexualbanana
07-15-2004, 11:26 PM
Ignorance is bliss boys and girls. :D

GQBalla
07-15-2004, 11:59 PM
isn;t calgary court liek a company that had a buncha restaruants round calgary i dunno im getin confused

saiyajin
07-16-2004, 12:35 AM
ya calgary court, forbidden city, pebble street, and sun chiu kee ...i think...

xDiMSuMx
07-16-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by saiyajin

heard the guy owns the sushi place on 32nd too

saiyajin
07-16-2004, 12:58 AM
u mean misai??

H4LFY2nR
07-16-2004, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Humans, for the most part, don't have a clue. Don't want one, either. They're happy. They think they've got a pretty good bead on things.

These findings dont surprise me at all, but hey, such is life.

Did you watch Men in Black on TV recently, I remember that line.:rofl:

But ya, unless someone actually gets sick then why risk messing up the food, and even then :whocares: . Personally I like the buns at room temp or a little warm, but now will all the bakeries have to refrigerate them?:thumbsdow

kiwi
07-16-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by saiyajin

& he recently opened one in Vancouver too!!!

bigboom
07-16-2004, 11:18 AM
meh ill still eat the buns from diamond bakery, ive been eating them for 24 years and havent got sick so far :dunno:

*knock on wood*

CKY
07-21-2004, 08:35 PM
i love diamond bakery, i only buy stuff from them, dragon island? (the bakery in new asia), and TnT.

and does anyone ever notice that only white ppl talk about getting food poisoning while us asia very seldomly does?