PDA

View Full Version : Lowering

Weapon_R
06-10-2002, 02:50 PM
I`m thinking of lowering my car, but i'm pretty clueless on how to do it. I want it so that there is barely any gap between the fender and the tire, so what is the best way to measure that? Just using a ruler or what? I've heard that springs settle, so should I get some that are .25" less than what I really need, and then have them settle and come down that extra .25", or should I just get the right size, with the impression that the spring companies have taken this into consideration already?

G
06-10-2002, 02:57 PM
I lowered my prelude 2" with H and R racing springs and it settled quite nicely. I have a one finger gap which is great. Some people lower it 1" but I don't see much difference in a 1" drop. Might as well go another inch it's going to look so much better.

You might want to invest in a camber kit too if you drop it lower than 1.5"

Another thing to consider is the you will eventually need new shocks to go with the springs. The ride is way to bouncy on the factory shocks.

Better yet get some coil overs...:thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
06-10-2002, 03:14 PM
get coilovers, the springs will quickly trash your struts you might as well save up a bit and get it done right.

G
06-10-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
get coilovers, the springs will quickly trash your struts you might as well save up a bit and get it done right.

Sorry for not doing it right :D

H and R racing springs with Koni Yellows out handles most coilovers IMO...if you are not interested in being able to raise and lower your car yourself I don't see the benefit of using coilovers....somebody enlighten me please :)

Redlyne_mr2
06-10-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by GSpot

Sorry for not doing it right :D

H and R racing springs with Koni Yellows out handles most coilovers IMO...if you are not interested in being able to raise and lower your car yourself I don't see the benefit of using coilovers....somebody enlighten me please :)
I thought you were just throwing on the springs, I didn't know you had koni yellows to, sorry dude, so you are doing it right..props to you:thumbsup:

max_boost
06-10-2002, 04:17 PM
Koni Yellow is one of the best struts out there, I highly recommend it.

Weapon_R
06-10-2002, 05:04 PM
Will you need new shocks regardless of how much you lower it? I only am gonna lower it 1.25"-1.50"...will that require shocks such as konis/kyb/tokico? And with an aftermarket shock, is the ride the same as a factory setup? IE-smooth?

legendboy
06-10-2002, 05:12 PM
Get Ground Controls, Lower in summer and raise in winter!! + they use Eibach springs and u can custom pick ur spring rates!!

max_boost
06-10-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Will you need new shocks regardless of how much you lower it? I only am gonna lower it 1.25"-1.50"...will that require shocks such as konis/kyb/tokico? And with an aftermarket shock, is the ride the same as a factory setup? IE-smooth?

When you get an awesome strut/spring combo, the ride will be much more smoother but because you are lower to the ground, you will still feel the bumps a bit.

Ekliptix
06-10-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

If you lower your car and keep the stock shocks/struts, there is less available travel in the shock/strut, so they will wear out faster. Is your car a G2 or G3 Integra? because G2's ride really high, and if you lower in only 1.5", you'll wish later that it was lower. When lowered with stock shocks/struts, I've heard that the ride is bouncy. With performance shocks/struts and springs/coil's your ride should be better then stock suspension.

G
06-10-2002, 05:25 PM
Eventually you will have to replace your factory struts...might as well do it together so you don't have to pay for the install and alignment twice.

legendboy
06-10-2002, 05:30 PM
I'll install them for ya WeaponR...

4wheeldrift
06-10-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
Get Ground Controls, Lower in summer and raise in winter!! + they use Eibach springs and u can custom pick ur spring rates!!

This is exactly why I want GCs. I'm not going to mess with the ride height that much (unless I decide to get the car corner weighted), I just want my choice of spring rate.

spyderman
06-10-2002, 06:15 PM
I have a friend who has a set of H&R springs (2" drop) for sale if you're interested.

legendboy
06-10-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
unless I decide to get the car corner weighted
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think I have 600's up front and 800's in the rear....I'd have to dig up the box to remember for sure...

4wheeldrift
06-10-2002, 07:14 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think I have 600's up front and 800's in the rear....I'd have to dig up the box to remember for sure...

And the car is still understeering?!? Great googly moogly those are stiff springs... Have you tried running the stiffer pair on the front instead?

Weapon_R
06-10-2002, 08:59 PM
I'll install them for ya WeaponR...

How much for installation?

buh_buh
06-10-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by GSpot
Eventually you will have to replace your factory struts...might as well do it together so you don't have to pay for the install and alignment twice.
don't have to pay for install if you DIY.
And if you have no clue what your doing, buy LUDELVR a bowl of pho.:D

Speed_RaSiR
06-11-2002, 04:25 PM
I just got Ground controls installed, thx to WBB6, they're awesome! Nice ride, even nicer around corners.

speedracer
06-11-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

I thought you were just throwing on the springs, I didn't know you had koni yellows to, sorry dude, so you are doing it right..props to you:thumbsup:

Hmmm but I have black Konis :D

REdOX
06-11-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by spyderman
I have a friend who has a set of H&R springs (2" drop) for sale if you're interested.

H&R's rock.. they are so good on my car. The shocks are still holding up since I got them in October last year. Then again it only dropped it 1.5" front and 1.3" rear. Here's some pics if anyone is interested:

Click Here (http://www.telusplanet.net/public/jeffcruz/celica/hrsprings/)

Speed_RaSiR
06-13-2002, 09:41 AM
The GT-S with the action package is amazing! I love that car

REdOX
06-13-2002, 10:51 PM
thanks... but mine isn't the action package. Mine is the TRD Elegant kit :P The action package is the TRD Mechanical kit. The difference is the Mechanical has a different front bumper as mine only has a front lip spoiler.

max_boost
06-13-2002, 11:04 PM
I think I'm going to be picking up some H&R springs for my E46

4wheeldrift
06-14-2002, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by REdOX
thanks... but mine isn't the action package. Mine is the TRD Elegant kit :P The action package is the TRD Mechanical kit. The difference is the Mechanical has a different front bumper as mine only has a front lip spoiler.

The mechanical kit is mostly a bunch of handling goodies isn't it?

REdOX
06-16-2002, 08:25 PM
we're just talking about body kits here.. no suspension upgrades.