PDA

View Full Version : Ok Wtf...VIN Question

dkny_stylez
07-13-2004, 05:48 PM
cops called my house, stating they had my car and were going to seize it, I was like wtf I'm looking at it right now...Long story short, cops thought I had stolen the car and changed the VIN #(they thought i was the bad guy here), after about an hr ordeal, i proved them wrong. What happened was, they had picked up the exact same car, and it had the same VIN, so obviously someone copied my VIN onto theirs! Turns out that it was a stolen vehicle.....So how does one obtain that?, do they have my personal info, my name, where I live etc?...Or can they just search on the net or something for the same year/make//model/color of a car and find a vin to use, type it out, print it and place it over the original, therefore just having a VIN, and no personal info leading to the owner of the actual VIN?

ryder_23
07-13-2004, 06:20 PM
Maybe if you know someone in the registries you could have access to it? :dunno: as for copying the vin, they might have seen your car, lookd / wrote down the vin, and that was it....

OK_Computer
07-13-2004, 09:47 PM
some people are good with a tiny chisel and hammer? lol, that sux though, waste of time

dkny_stylez
07-16-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by OK_Computer
some people are good with a tiny chisel and hammer? lol, that sux though, waste of time

what are you talking about?, mine was not removed, they copied and printed it

QuasarCav
07-16-2004, 10:33 AM
It's pretty hard to copy a vin to look stock.

There are at least 4 spererate stampings on parts of the car.

Cops would check all places before they accuse you of car theft.

you could make a generic VIN buy getting some info of the car.

b16Ateg
07-16-2004, 10:36 AM
the exact thing happened with my dad and his 96 lude.. the insurance company wouldn't let him renue is insurance.. and they said that he sold it to some chick in edmonton.. but then all it in all my dad proved that he still had the car with the paperwork that he got when he first bought it and blah blah blah.. the chicks car was stolen with the same vin # and paint job.. they changed..

dkny_stylez
07-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
It's pretty hard to copy a vin to look stock.

There are at least 4 spererate stampings on parts of the car.

Cops would check all places before they accuse you of car theft.

you could make a generic VIN buy getting some info of the car.

they did think that I was the thief, haha