PDA

View Full Version : FIA releases new F1 rules and regulations

boi-alien
07-16-2004, 02:37 PM
Taken from www.F1.com

The FIA has today (Friday) provided the Formula One teams with details of a package of measures to reduce the performance of Formula One cars and hence improve safety.

These measures are likely to be imposed by the sport’s governing body if satisfactory proposals have not been agreed by at least eight teams and presented to the FIA before 6 September 2004.

1. Aerodynamics (2005)
Diffuser height limited, front wing raised, rear wing element moved forward and changes to the bodywork immediately in front of the rear wheels. Together, these changes are estimated to reduce downforce on a current car by at least 25%, but reduce drag by less than 4%.

Explanation: lower downforce will reduce speeds, particularly in fast corners, and slightly increase braking distances, while the small reduction in drag will have a minimal effect on straight-line speeds.

2. Tyres (2005)
A driver may choose from two types of tyre, as in 2004. He will then have two sets of his chosen tyre, one for Friday and Saturday practice, the other for qualifying and the race. A damaged tyre can be replaced during the race (taken from the first set), but the car cannot be refuelled at the same time as the damaged tyre is changed.

Explanation: a tyre which must last 350 km rather than 80 km will have less grip, reducing cornering speeds, increasing braking distances and possibly producing less tyre debris or “marbles”.

3. Engine (2005)
One engine to last for two race weekends.

Explanation: both peak and average power will be less than for an engine with a shorter life.

4. Engine (2006)
2.4 litre V8 (90º) with maximum bore diameter, fixed cylinder spacing, minimum crankshaft centre line height, minimum weight and minimum height of centre of gravity. Direct fuel injection, variable geometry inlet systems, variable geometry exhaust systems, variable valve timing and variable valve lift systems all prohibited. Only one spark plug, one coil and one injector per cylinder. Exotic materials banned.

Explanation: a 20% reduction in capacity will produce a corresponding drop in power. Constraints on design and the use of materials will significantly slow the rate of power increase and reduce the scope for using engine design to improve chassis characteristics. Keeping existing cylinder sizes retains many current engine components while keeping engine revs close to current levels.

5. Other engines
During 2006 and 2007, teams which cannot obtain a 2.4 litre engine will be able to use a 3 litre V10 with power restricted by means of a rev limit fixed by the FIA.

Explanation: this will ensure that all teams (including new entrants) have access to a competitive engine, even if supplies of the new 2.4 are initially restricted.

looks like they're really going to limit the speeds of the cars.

benyl
07-16-2004, 02:52 PM
I have always wondered how fast the cars would be if they didn't put all the rules in place. Maybe Schumy won't be as dominant if these new rules indeed level the performance playing field.

BigMass
07-17-2004, 09:26 AM
is it April 1? This has to be a joke. That is the biggest piece of shit in the history of F1. YEAH! F1 is so freakin dangerous. How many people have died in F1 since Sena warranting these changes?

Haha i'm watching CART from now on. Their cars are soon going to destroy F1 cars around road courses. I think Michael is going to run an Enzo in 2006. Its going to destroy the entire field. :rolleyes: Sorry about the rant but im fuming. If anything they should remove rules from F1 not add more.

habsfan
07-17-2004, 10:27 AM
you have got to be kidding me.........wow, this will kill the series :banghead:

SwitchBlade
07-17-2004, 02:17 PM
I think it will make it a little more competitive if find it boring if Ferrari wins or makes top 3 every race

blinkme_210
07-17-2004, 03:17 PM
You think that there are enough rules already....

Team_Mclaren
07-17-2004, 03:41 PM
wow, this is fucking gay!

yes u RACE to the finish, but no u cant go fast.....:dunno:

hyperwhite
07-19-2004, 04:42 PM
i still think they should have a 150 mill spending limit and build whatever the fuck they want. any kinda engine up to 3 liters. that way you'll get 8's to 12's just like in the 90's

civic_stylez
07-19-2004, 06:12 PM
its horseshit imo....now theyll all be in a pack.... thats like saying everyone on beyond has to have the exact same horsepower and identical mods to their cars...F1 is all about innovation and striving for speed...look at the new williams nose on their car and the very narrow nose on the mercedes...now everyone will be identical..is ghey. there has not been a race fatality or severe/life threatening injury in years for F1 so i dont see why it is so necessary.:thumbsdow

JustinL
07-19-2004, 07:44 PM
The rules I'm most upset with are the ones that limit innovation. Restricting all the manufacturers to one type of engine with none of the mentioned systems is going to slow the trickle down of technology to our road going cars.

They have been trying to slow F1 down for years, yet every year new lap records are set... maybe not next year though.

Justin

CKY
07-20-2004, 05:57 AM
i wonder when F1 will be set and done without adding or changing any more rules :rolleyes: