PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light

sexualbanana
10-31-2002, 12:04 AM
I was driving down Macleod tonite and just by erlton my check engine light turns on (right after i see u kenny). i pull into the stampede grounds and check my oil. it's dangerously low, though the oil light didn't come on. after calling the only one of my friends that was relatively available, he decides to be a bitch and not help me out. so i decide to chance it and drive to the 7-11 a few blocks down to get some oil and pray that it fixes the problem. it doesn't, so i have no choice to drive my car home with the check engine light on the entire time hoping that the engine doesn't fuck up.

i checked for leaks and there doesn't appear to be any. any suggestions?

szw
10-31-2002, 12:06 AM
What kind of rims do you have gavin?

sexualbanana
10-31-2002, 12:06 AM
my winters are asa.

szw
10-31-2002, 12:08 AM
I mean in your sig

max_boost
10-31-2002, 12:09 AM
Maybe its just a sensor!

sexualbanana
10-31-2002, 12:09 AM
adr gt sport

Davetronz
10-31-2002, 12:54 AM
some of the cars have a check engine light that needs to be programmed out. I know my dads truck has one. If his oil drops or needs changing the light goes on and remains on until his CPU is flashed or there is a sequence of things to do to make it go out without going to the dealer.

2000impreza
10-31-2002, 12:56 AM
get the code pulled. a check engine light doesn't mean much if you don't know what is causing it.

sexualbanana
10-31-2002, 01:16 AM
found it. cylinder 3 is misfiring.

sexualbanana
10-31-2002, 01:17 AM
so i guess my quesiton now is, is it safe to keep driving it? i have to get to school

buh_buh
10-31-2002, 01:17 AM
time for a motorswap!

ancient
10-31-2002, 01:28 AM
Heck no, do not keep driving if its misfiring....

As buh_buh said, start lookin for a new smart, or if you want to pay some real BLING BLING, you can fix it. :dunno:

sexualbanana
10-31-2002, 01:48 AM
new smart?

ancient
10-31-2002, 02:22 AM
ya im on crack.....

I dunno WHAT that was....... But..... Start looking for a new engine....

sexualbanana
10-31-2002, 03:07 AM
also just to let u know, just before the light came on i noticed my car doing some putting.

James
10-31-2002, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
also just to let u know, just before the light came on i noticed my car doing some putting.

Its a civic Gavin, the "Putting" should be normal:rolleyes: :tongue:

CLiVE
10-31-2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
get the code pulled. a check engine light doesn't mean much if you don't know what is causing it.

Glad to hear you found the problem....

you can pull the codes yourself if you have a multimeter...

stupid check engine lights. Mine came on just after I bought my car thanks to a bad O2 sensor....I just kept resetting it by disconnecting the negative battery terminal now and then..

There is also always the "black electrical tape" mod. A lot of stealth guys do this...lol. Or they remove the bulb from the check engine light....lol.

95TsiAWD
10-31-2002, 10:55 AM
OBDII is the devil. Those misfire CELs can pop up from anything. I usually get one every couple months, this has been for the last 2 years. I just clear the code with my datalogger. Compression is near factory and the car runs 12s on a good day. So don't worry about the CEL.
Clear it out and if it keeps coming back change your plugs/wires. If that doesn't fix it then it's either your cam angle sensor or your crank angle sensor that has gone bad (the sensors pulses will look more like a shark's fin and less like the square wave it should be). Don't start shitting a brick thinking you need a new engine.

sexualbanana
10-31-2002, 12:33 PM
well i checked my plugs and they're completely dry. exhaust color is normal. and i don't see any leaks.

2000impreza
10-31-2002, 12:43 PM
check the wires and the rest of the ignition system.

i find the check engine light completly useless. when something serious goes worng like blown headgasket, low oil pressure, or whatever else the light doesn't come on but when nothing is worng it will start throwing codes like o2 sensor but there is nothing worng with the o2 sensors. from my experience anyways.

Davetronz
10-31-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by 95TsiAWD
Don't start shitting a brick thinking you need a new engine.
:eek: OUCH :rofl:

The Raptor
11-01-2002, 11:24 AM
Another reason is that it is just time for a maintenance check..you know one of those scheduled ones? Mine had come on as well and I took it in to Silverhill and asked, they just said it was a scheduled lighting to tell me that one of those major services was scheduled.. no biggie..

legendboy
11-01-2002, 11:42 AM
haha my maintenance light is on in my car now too hehe. gavin, isn't you car still under warranty?

buh_buh
11-01-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by The Raptor
Another reason is that it is just time for a maintenance check..you know one of those scheduled ones? Mine had come on as well and I took it in to Silverhill and asked, they just said it was a scheduled lighting to tell me that one of those major services was scheduled.. no biggie..
well he got a code saying 3rd cylinder was misfiring.

cocoabrova
11-01-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by The Raptor
Screw the scheduled maintenance, just turn off the light:thumbsup: :rofl: Have you tried to clear the CEL yet Gavin??

sexualbanana
11-02-2002, 02:44 PM
yeah i've cleared it. the light hasnt come back on, and nothing seems to be wrong. though i'm still trying to figure out where my oil went. the plugs were dry, no visible leaks and exhaust isn't black.

the car's like 7 years old so i'm sure it's not on warranty anymore

lsvetc
11-03-2002, 11:37 PM
Humm I heard Honda cars that have the check engine light eventually goes into Limp mode, just wondering if thats true.:dunno:

GTS Jeff
11-03-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by lsvetc
Humm I heard Honda cars that have the check engine light eventually goes into Limp mode, just wondering if thats true.:dunno: whhhaaat?

limp mode is triggered on more serious CELs, and when that happens, chances are something is seriously wrong and hte car shouldnt be driven anyway.

and what do u mean the hondas that have CELs? are u saying that some hondas dont have CELs?

szw
11-04-2002, 12:11 AM
Think he means hondas that have cel *on*

sexualbanana
11-04-2002, 12:22 AM
it's back. since there r no visible leaks, and my plugs are dry, we think it's a cracked head.

turboMiata
11-04-2002, 12:25 AM
i'm still trying to figure out where my oil went. the plugs were dry, no visible leaks and exhaust isn't black.

What color is the exhaust? blue?

have you taken a look at your rad fluid?

when was the last time you added oil?

any black puddles on your garage floor?

On the topic of misfiring, have you checked the plug wires? i just use an ohmmeter to do this.

sexualbanana
11-04-2002, 02:06 AM
plugs are dry. exhaust color is normal. no visible leaks anywhere. we haven't checked the rad fluid yet. but that's the only other logical palce we can think of that the oil's going to.

i got my oil changed 3000 km ago.

turboMiata
11-04-2002, 11:38 AM
Could even be a worn out hose or something. Once I saw a guy wear a hole in his braided oil return line when it was rubbing against a body panel.

Grab a trouble light and just look for dirty black buildup and go from there.

Good luck!

sexualbanana
11-04-2002, 12:32 PM
trouble light?????

Redlyne_mr2
11-04-2002, 12:43 PM
dude sorry to hear youre having all these mad troubz...engine problems lick ass

cocoabrova
11-04-2002, 02:34 PM
trouble light?????
Trouble light: noun; a worklight with a long wire, with a cage surrounding the bulb for protection. Usually in the color orange. Used in the automotive repair industry, as well as other types of repair....:rolleyes: :rofl: Like turboMiata said, check the block and underneath for leaks/seepage. Is the temp. guage reading higher than normal??

turboMiata
11-04-2002, 02:35 PM
trouble light?????

you know, the thing with a light bulb sticking out one end and you plug the other end into a wall socket? it has a mysterious way of "lighting up darkness".

:D :D :D :D

sexualbanana
11-05-2002, 10:49 AM
i hate u. :guns:

Ben
11-05-2002, 11:24 AM
O2 Sensor lights are often programmed to come on every 30000 miles regardless of condition, just because most companies require schedualed maintenance on them.

James
11-05-2002, 03:25 PM
trouble light?????

I was gonna Say something but Cocoabrova and TurboMiata got to it first:rofl:

RGAGT
11-05-2002, 06:15 PM
JUST A FRIENDLY POINT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS NOT RELATED TO THE ENGINE OIL OR COOLANT LEVEL IT IS FOR POLLUTION CONTROLS iE OXYGEN SENSORS, WATER TEMP SENSORS, KNOCK SENSORS ANYTHING RELATED TO EMMISSIONS SOME VEH MOSTLY IMPORTS HAVE AN EMMISSION REMINDER LIGHT THAT COMES ON EVERY 84000KM TO REMIND YOU TO HAVE YOUR EMMISSION SYSTEM CHECK AND OXYGEN SENSORS ARE RECOMMENDED RELACED EVERY 120000KM :D

sexualbanana
11-06-2002, 12:28 PM
a tune up was needed

Kalpha
09-04-2004, 04:40 AM
I know this is an old thread, but...

Hey sexualbanana, so what was the exact problem with your #3 cylinder?

I'm having the exact same problem. YOu could read about it here:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56984
. I have a 2002 honda accord lx sedan and my check engine light turned on, so I went to an auto center and the technician pulled the code and said my #3 cylinder was misfiring so I decided to replace the spark plugs on all four. THe check engine light came on again though after starting hte car up the third time. How did you fix your problem?

Btw, what's the year of your honda civic?