PDA

View Full Version : Performance mod's for a 91 Toyota Celica GT-S

beyondpinoy
07-17-2004, 02:37 AM
hey guys,

i just bought a 91 Toyota Celica last week, and i'm very happy with the car :D , but ive already got the need to tweak my car and get the most preformance. right now everything is stock on the car.. what kind of preformance mod can i do for my car? *ie: cold air intake, turbo, suspension* or is there any place i can find out information about tweaking my car for more preformance?

Kartelli
07-19-2004, 09:48 AM
save up for forced induction....

These celica's have good potential for bolton turbo applications.

Alot of the celica family parts are interchangable (st185)

beyondpinoy
07-19-2004, 01:42 PM
i'm sort of a newb at this stuff? this is my frist car, and i'm really starting to get into this tuning your car stuff? but i know close to nothing., just basic stuff. bolton turbo applications? forced induction.. explan ?? and around how much would all this stuff cost? and st185????

CelicaST-162
07-20-2004, 03:45 PM
By ST-185, he means Celica All trac turbo.....your engine you have now is a 5S-FE....the all trac has a 3S-GTE. Try doing a search if you want more information because it has been discussed before, or pm me!

Vic

Redlyne_mr2
07-22-2004, 09:14 PM
As mentioned save your money and buy a 3sgte engine then do the swap. It isnt that hard if you have some mechanical knowledge

beyondpinoy
07-23-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
As mentioned save your money and buy a 3sgte engine then do the swap. It isnt that hard if you have some mechanical knowledge

i was reading, and it cost about 5000$ acording to a site i read to do the swap.. is that true?

schmooot
07-23-2004, 04:49 PM
thats about right, you'll need the engine, wiring harness, ecu, and intercooler, as well as a couple other parts and pieces. the motor mounts will bolt right up and I'm not sure but I think the starter has to be relocated to the other side of your tranny but your stock tranny will bolt up to the bellhousing of the GTE. I would suggest a front clip, that way you will have everything you need for the swap, and good luck finding one.

iceburns288
07-23-2004, 08:19 PM
Okay, I know nothing of Celicas, but I'm assuming a good turbo job can be done for 3-5k, with the turbo setup putting out more than the 3S-GTE engine. Of course, I don't know how much the 5S puts out, nor do I know about a 3S. I'm just wondering, out of curiosity, if it would be cheaper/more effecient to just bolt-on to the orignal engine...:dunno:

3S-GTE
07-24-2004, 11:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by beyondpinoy

i was reading, and it cost about 5000$ acording to a site i read to do the swap.. is that true? [/QUOT

I have another engine if ever u wanna go for a swap its from a 91t 140 K:D

3S-GTE
07-24-2004, 11:51 PM
and if u want some hook ups pm i know a good mechanic his been doing my swap 2 times now

Redlyne_mr2
07-25-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by beyondpinoy

i was reading, and it cost about 5000$ acording to a site i read to do the swap.. is that true?
Thats a bit high, a friend of mine payed 2200 for a jdm front clip off a gt4. He did get a good price however you can buy 3sgte's like the one 3sgte has for sale out of an mr2 for pretty cheap. The best thing to do is do some research, contact some jdm importers and setup a budget.

davidI
07-25-2004, 12:54 AM
5S-FE engines are not good for bolt on forced induction. As mentioned, swap in a 3S-GTE. The easiest swap is from a USDM or JDM All-Trac. The wiring harness just has to be extended 32 inches from the JDM. Apparently the MR2 swap is a bit more complicated because some of the sensors use different connectors or something. The stock tranny will bolt up using a clutch disk from the 5S-FE and pressure plate from a 3S-GTE. I'm workin on a 92 GTS right now, they're model is the ST184. As mentioned, the ST185 is the turbo'd all trac. Remember that for the swap you'll also need an All Trac hood or maybe switch to a front mount intercooler. There are 3 generations of 3S-GTE engine and the best one to use is from the ST185 because it is the most readily available. The ST165 uses a water/air intercooler and apparently is a bit more problematic of a swap. The ST205 engine has more horsepower but are rare and expensive.

three.eighteen.
07-25-2004, 07:14 PM
his car is a gts, he has a 3sge...5sfe is in the gt models

davidI
07-25-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

ugh, I have a gts. And it's a 5sfe.

beyondpinoy
07-25-2004, 11:56 PM

where did you hear this? i thought my engine is a 5sfe? ionno i'm hoping its a 3sge, that way i can just add a turbo :D

Redlyne_mr2
07-26-2004, 12:01 AM
Stick with your BMW's:)

CelicaST-162
07-27-2004, 10:34 PM
5th Gen GTS, 5S-FE. 5th gen GT, 3S-FE...i think:D

davidI
07-27-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162
5th Gen GTS, 5S-FE. 5th gen GT, 3S-FE...i think:D

5TH GENERATION
1990-1993 ENGINES!!!
GTS - 5SFE
GT - 5SFE
ST - 4AFE
GT4 / All Trac - 3SGTE

All of you guys posting all this 3S crap are confusing 5th gens with 4th gens. The 3S-FE came in 4th gen Celicas and 87-91 Camrys. The 3S-GE came in 86-89 (4th gen) GTS models.

A lot of people swap in 3S-GE and 3S-GTE engines because all 'S' series mounts are the same.

The people who drive ST's are shit out of luck because the mounts don't line up.

Instead of guessing and telling people the wrong shit look into it! :thumbsup:

beyondpinoy
07-30-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by davidI

A lot of people swap in 3S-GE and 3S-GTE engines because all 'S' series mounts are the same.

The people who drive ST's are shit out of luck because the mounts don't line up.

Instead of guessing and telling people the wrong shit look into it! :thumbsup:

thx for clearing tht stuff up, i was reading on the internet, and i was almost positive i had a 5sfe

notpatrickduffy
08-02-2004, 06:28 PM
So... say someone had an 88 Celica GT-S, would that mean that person has a good engine?

davidI
08-02-2004, 10:06 PM

The 3S-GE came in 86-89 (4th gen) GTS models.

I don't own a 4th gen and don't know much about them but I'm 99% sure it's a 3S-GE as stated above. It's a good engine. You can swap in a turbo from the 3S-GTE with little difficulty and it becomes a GREAT engine. :)

beyondpinoy
08-05-2004, 02:00 AM
is there anything i can do with the 5sfe engine right now? can i stick a turbo on the current engine? i don't want to spend a fortune on the car, cuz i simply can't afford it..

i just want the most out of my car right now

davidI
08-05-2004, 06:19 PM
Most will agree that the 5S-FE is a waste of time. I have an unused ANSA axle-back exhaust I would sell you for $200 though if that is the route you want. I decided a while ago that I want to save up for a 3S-GTE swap and custom 3" header back exhaust. Some people have turbo'd to make a 5S-FTE but it isn't reliable. One guy is making 10 pounds of boost now I think but even he has said it is probably worth doin a swap.

beyondpinoy
08-05-2004, 11:26 PM
so basically for the swap all you need is the following?

complete engine with turbo, all sensors, ecu, and the all track drive transmission, and a new heaader back exhaust ?

beyondpinoy
08-05-2004, 11:33 PM
hwo can you tell the difference between a 5S-FE and a 3S-GE??? cuz i remember on my car, the previous owner did a engine swap, cuz the original engine died, and maybe she swapped the engine with a 3S-GE ....

if yes, would it be easier to just add a turbo on that engine?

CelicaST-162
08-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Sorry for the misinformation! Beyondpinoy, the 3S-GE will say Twin Cam 2000 on the Valve Cover, and T-VIS on the intake manifold. The 5S-FE will say 2200 on the valve cover. If you look on the 3SGE timing cover, it will also say 3S-GE on it.

davidI
08-06-2004, 02:41 PM
so basically for the swap all you need is the following?

complete engine with turbo, all sensors, ecu, and the all track drive transmission, and a new heaader back exhaust ?

You don't need or want the all-trac tranny. You can mate your stock tranny up using a 5S-FE clutch and 3S-GTE pressure plate. It is best to buy a full clip because you may need all sorts of things. turbo, intercooler, wire harness, ecu, ignitor, ignitor coil, probably want to upgrade your fuel pump etc.

beyondpinoy
08-07-2004, 04:32 PM

You don't need or want the all-trac tranny. You can mate your stock tranny up using a 5S-FE clutch and 3S-GTE pressure plate. It is best to buy a full clip because you may need all sorts of things. turbo, intercooler, wire harness, ecu, ignitor, ignitor coil, probably want to upgrade your fuel pump etc.

how much is that going to cost me? sounds expensive..

davidI
08-08-2004, 01:04 PM
you'll have to call around looking for the clip. My guess is between $2500 - $4000. Try Jdmsource, one of our sites sponsors.

beyondpinoy
08-22-2004, 06:32 PM
is it possible to just put a turbo on a stock 5S-FE engine? wouldn't it be cheaper?

down at cardomain, the guy says he did it on his 5S-FE engine.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/218779

GTRJDM
10-03-2004, 12:01 AM
Most of you people dont know what you are talking about The 5th Genaration DID have the 3sge engine in it. it was the second genaration 3sge and it produced 165hp usa and the JDM because of the better ECU computer and higher octane full could produce 175-80 hp stock Its quite possible you have this engine. 4 genaration celicas had the 3sge engine too but it was the first model WITH TVIS intergreated into the engine the second genaration 3sge which was put into some models of the 5 genaration celica (89-94) (yes 89 was when it was first made (near the end of the year when they just stop production for the 4 genaration celica) anyway this engine does not have T-VIS because a better and newer fuel system was made which flowed better bla bla........... i just bought a sencond genaration 3sge for my first gen engine today because of this (it bolts right up with out too much hassel)

Turboing The 3sge engine can be done but you have to remember this the 3stge (any genaration) had small extras that the 3sge dident have or need because it wasent being boosted (turboed) for example the 3stge has oil squinters which help to keep the engine cooler under high pressure boost where as the 3sge DOES NOT have theses oilsquinters but saying this alot of people say you cant turbo the 3sge that well but it probley can be done just remember to run low boost at first
Here,s a site which will make you happy its the 1st genaration 3sge motor and it has 500hp so if this can do it your sencond genaration 3sge could probley handle boost if you do the setup probley http://www.turbocelica.8m.com/index.html

Gearbox
if you go for the swap your 3sge gearbox will have some issues with the starter motor there are a few ways to fix this one you can mount the starter motor on the other side of your gearbox (were it is on the gt4 gearbox) by modifieing the gearbox bell houseing (drilling etc)
two you could get a 3sfe gearbox this will bolt up to the 3sgte engine and should RUN ok up to about the 220 hp mark after this i would recommend getting a gaerbox of of a toyota cameray v6 or the alltrac gt4 gearbox its self (im not sure if the 5sfe gearbox works also ??)
thirdly you could use the fourwheel drive gearbox and block of the rearwheel sharft (but doing this im not sure if you would only ve useing 50% power ?? you could ask somebody but)
or you could convert your st182 st183 st184 to fourwheel drive......

sweet as hope this helps ask more questions of you want aye
p.s for the best infomation check out theses sites

http://www.celica.net click forms then click fifth genaration celica
also this may help http://www.4gcelica.net

http://www.turbocelica.8m.com/index.html

RoachDawg
10-03-2004, 01:33 PM
all this talk about all of these motors I am currently running the 3S-FE and I am having TONS of Problems finding aftermarket parts for it. Can someone please point me in the right direction??? that would be great thanks

Roach Dawg

davidI
10-03-2004, 02:30 PM
the second genaration 3sge which was put into some models of the 5 genaration celica (89-94)

What model of the 5th gen was it put into? 5th gens only range from 90-93 as well although perhaps the 2nd gen 3S-GE was used over those years.

GT-FOUR
10-07-2004, 09:45 AM
The 3SGE was never put in USDM or Canada spec 5th gen Celicas.

It WAS however installed on Euro and JDM spec 5th gens.

In fact, Toyota still produces the 3SGE today and it is used on some JDM cars.

GTRJDM
02-21-2005, 05:05 AM
Yes that is true 5 genaration celicas which is the moddle we are talking about 90-93 or watever its called 5 grnaration was baged all kinds of names gt-s gt st gt-r sx Zr gt4 alltrac and in them were diffrent types of motors from the 4afe 4age 3sfe to the powerbangers 3sge and the 3stge. depending on were u live in the world u would hav diffrent motors the model numbers of theses car were st-18x 1 2 3 4 5.

As for the 3sfe its not a ture twincam unlike the 3sge 3sgte motors are. The 3sfe has one main cam and one slave cam making it twin cam however not a ture performance twincam engine. so mods are limited to this engine your best bet is to find a 3sge motor and do the swap if you want performance look for a JDM 3sge-lu or a 3sgte motor as JDM hav more power than USA motors hoever if u live in usa a 3sge USA motor will hav to do. (or 3stge).

Hope this helps like i said for infomation try http://www.celica.net or http://www.4gcelica.net

cheers :)

heavyD
02-22-2005, 08:54 AM
hey guys,

i just bought a 91 Toyota Celica last week, and i'm very happy with the car :D , but ive already got the need to tweak my car and get the most preformance. right now everything is stock on the car.. what kind of preformance mod can i do for my car? *ie: cold air intake, turbo, suspension* or is there any place i can find out information about tweaking my car for more preformance?

Back to the original subject. To do the swap with a clip will cost as much or more than the car is worth so take that into consideration as that will be money you will not get back when you sell the car. If the stock engine has high mileage, turbocharging it will most likely necessitate a savings fund for a new engine or rebuild job.

Just buy yourself some springs, shocks, & wheels as there isn't any performance potential in non-turbo trim Celicas.

calgarygts
02-28-2005, 12:02 PM
I agree with HeavyD here, don't go from never having touched a car to doing a full swap. Get some stuff like a cold air intake, exhaust, springs, wheels/tires and learn from there. I bet you'll find that if you put those in yourself and keep reading about the car you will be in a much better position to make a decision on your own. To make this car fast you will need a lot of knowledge or a good mechanic to do everything for you. I say take your time and learn.

Here's some sites you can start looking at for more info:

www.toyotacelicaonline.com
www.celica.net
www.celispeed.com
www.toyotacelicas.com

There's even one in alberta:

albertacelicas.org

Godfuader
02-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by GT-FOUR
The 3SGE was never put in USDM or Canada spec 5th gen Celicas.

It WAS however installed on Euro and JDM spec 5th gens.

In fact, Toyota still produces the 3SGE today and it is used on some JDM cars.

Thats what i thought too. The GT-R and 4WS celica, to the best of my knowledge, never made it to North America. The Gen5 Celicas only came in ST, GT, GT-S, and All-trac (North American market) :dunno:

GTRJDM
04-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Back to the original subject. To do the swap with a clip will cost as much or more than the car is worth so take that into consideration as that will be money you will not get back when you sell the car. If the stock engine has high mileage, turbocharging it will most likely necessitate a savings fund for a new engine or rebuild job.

Just buy yourself some springs, shocks, & wheels as there isn't any performance potential in non-turbo trim Celicas.

HeveyD you suck and have no idea what your talking about and insult TOYOTA!!! THE 3SGE MOTOR (in any genaration) has HUGE PERMORMANCE and HUGE Potential the 3sge is a bigger verson of the 4age now that motor is great but what makes a 3sge better is its 2 liter. Dont insult 3sge has they are one of toyotas best N/A motors and have huge potential so if you have a 3sge and wanna n/a your car with mods on the motor etc THIS IS THE MOTOR YOU USE.

I have a First gen 3sge with 270HP they are stock 160Hp all I have is after market racing cams (desiged and sold for this motor because its a performance motor!!) high raised pistions to raise the compression of this motor even thought its allready quite high , full port and pollish lighter parts excrators or racing header as you americans call it. big ezzaust and some other mods..

So next time you say something stupid about no turbo celicas under stand that a 3sge motor has huge N/A portention and is totaly if you want to worth doing up.\

I bet your onr of the people that would just slap a turbo on a car and leave it at that............. easy quick fit of power haha
if sorry but that fucks me off lol

GTRJDM
04-19-2005, 10:04 PM
by the way my 3sge is a jdm motor meaning its for the japan market with 160 hp stock (1gen) and gen 1 usa 3sge has 135hp due to emision laws

Godfuader
04-21-2005, 10:22 AM
The ST205 engine has more horsepower but are rare and expensive.

I've been looking for a ST-205 for some time now. Shits way too hard to find in North America. Asked around in local mod shops and they have yet to come across one. Anyone know places that can order JDM engines for Toyota? (full clip preferably)

paulsaddress5
04-21-2005, 11:43 AM
whats the deal with the third generation celicas, good, bad, etc. i can get a good deal on one with low km, no rust.

heavyD
04-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by GTRJDM
HeveyD you suck and have no idea what your talking about and insult TOYOTA!!! THE 3SGE MOTOR (in any genaration) has HUGE PERMORMANCE and HUGE Potential the 3sge is a bigger verson of the 4age now that motor is great but what makes a 3sge better is its 2 liter. Dont insult 3sge has they are one of toyotas best N/A motors and have huge potential so if you have a 3sge and wanna n/a your car with mods on the motor etc THIS IS THE MOTOR YOU USE.

I have a First gen 3sge with 270HP they are stock 160Hp all I have is after market racing cams (desiged and sold for this motor because its a performance motor!!) high raised pistions to raise the compression of this motor even thought its allready quite high , full port and pollish lighter parts excrators or racing header as you americans call it. big ezzaust and some other mods..

So next time you say something stupid about no turbo celicas under stand that a 3sge motor has huge N/A portention and is totaly if you want to worth doing up.\

I bet your onr of the people that would just slap a turbo on a car and leave it at that............. easy quick fit of power haha
if sorry but that fucks me off lol

Where do these guys come from?:english:

GTRJDM
04-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Look Hevey D just because you have no idea what you were talking about when you stated that non turbo celicas are not worth modding. You obesley have no idea what your talking about and just wrote that thinking ohh non turbo must be low.

Well................ there is a N/A motor which was put into celicas and has huge potential called a 3SGE now this motor came in gen 1 gen 2 gen 3 gen 4 and i think there a gen 5 in japan. (unsure of this however)

Anyway this motor in any gen is powerfull and has huge potentional as an N/A motor. Like I said ive got mine running and 270hp with a rebuild and I could go rurther if i want to however I will for a n/a engine this is fine.

But nect time you surgest that non turbo celicas or mr2s for that matter are not worth engine modding think again

If you have any of theses engine in you toyota celica etc then your engine is probley worth modding (most of them anyway)

4age 4agze (any genarations) 3SGE (good motor) 3sgte(same as 3sge but turboed and with engine cooling improvments due to turbo) anygen of the 3s engine is good.

as for the 6 genaration celicas which were the st202 st205 etc

they came with to my knowleged in my conuntry (newzealand) with the third genaration 3sge motor and the 205 had the third genaration 3sgte motor in it theses are both good motors but the turbo one has more power however the n/a 3sge in this car can reach 300hp N/A with some mods probley even more if you were seriouse.

Anyway for example the third genaration 3sge motor has more HP than the first genaration 3sgte

hope this helps and pleasew ask me anymore question if you need them. :guns:

GTRJDM
04-21-2005, 06:21 PM
The Third genaration celica is the early 80s model before the more powerfull and commmon 4 genaration celica

from what i no there a good car and if you have the time to do them up look pritty nice too.

they from my knowlege had a 6 cyclinder engine in them.

getting pritty old now but from waht i herd were cool cars

Godfuader
04-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by paulsaddress5
whats the deal with the third generation celicas, good, bad, etc. i can get a good deal on one with low km, no rust.

This was the last of the RWD Celica. Amazing car with the 22RE engine. lots of fun too. my buddy has had 3 of them with absolutely no problems including an absolutely pristine condition '84 (no rust, no leaks). They go pretty cheap nowadays, but good luck finding one without rust. :thumbsup:

paulsaddress5
04-23-2005, 10:29 AM
how do these 22re's respond to boost?

calgarygts
04-26-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by GTRJDM
Look Hevey D just because you have no idea what you were talking about when you stated that non turbo celicas are not worth modding. You obesley have no idea what your talking about and just wrote that thinking ohh non turbo must be low.

Well................ there is a N/A motor which was put into celicas and has huge potential called a 3SGE now this motor came in gen 1 gen 2 gen 3 gen 4 and i think there a gen 5 in japan. (unsure of this however)

Anyway this motor in any gen is powerfull and has huge potentional as an N/A motor. Like I said ive got mine running and 270hp with a rebuild and I could go rurther if i want to however I will for a n/a engine this is fine.

But nect time you surgest that non turbo celicas or mr2s for that matter are not worth engine modding think again

If you have any of theses engine in you toyota celica etc then your engine is probley worth modding (most of them anyway)

4age 4agze (any genarations) 3SGE (good motor) 3sgte(same as 3sge but turboed and with engine cooling improvments due to turbo) anygen of the 3s engine is good.

as for the 6 genaration celicas which were the st202 st205 etc

they came with to my knowleged in my conuntry (newzealand) with the third genaration 3sge motor and the 205 had the third genaration 3sgte motor in it theses are both good motors but the turbo one has more power however the n/a 3sge in this car can reach 300hp N/A with some mods probley even more if you were seriouse.

Anyway for example the third genaration 3sge motor has more HP than the first genaration 3sgte

hope this helps and pleasew ask me anymore question if you need them. :guns:

you're the smartest man alive (I feel bad using the word 'man' here).

Godfuader
04-26-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by paulsaddress5
how do these 22re's respond to boost?

Apparently, quite well. There is a company in the states with 3-4 stage kits for the 22RE to make it a 22RE/T (Turbo) My buddy has a nice running condition 22RE off a '84Celica GT for cheap if you want it to play around with. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Found some Websites for 22RE/T Turbo kits

http://toyotaperformance.com/turbo.htm

http://toyotaperformance.com/pro_turbo.htm