PDA

View Full Version : New To Alberta What can I expect to pay for Car Insurance

BennyT
07-18-2004, 05:05 PM
Hey new to the province and new to this board..........

Gotta question,

I currently own a 2000 Grand Am GT (91 000 kms) and will have to soon insure my vehicle here to Alberta (Edmonton).

I am 24 years old, and have had one speeding ticket about a year ago, and one at fault 4 years ago.

What might I expect to pay for insurance here?

Reason I ask is I know its going to be a lot more than I am used to paying as I moved here from Winnipeg.

Anyways I appreciate any feedback you can give.

Thx
Benny

Kraut
07-18-2004, 11:20 PM
get a letter from your insurance in MB regarding your history there that can help you here to get a better rate.
kraut

C4S
07-19-2004, 09:30 AM
New to ALberta ?

good luck for our stupid auto insurance !

Still, try Monnex first ! if they take you, you can save a fortune ! If not .. then try out your luck !

Good that you drive a domestic car, ( I assume it is stock) because many insurance companies, they won't even offer new policy to heavy modded cars ! :dunno: :(

BennyT
07-19-2004, 08:14 PM
yeah things are not looking good, im gonna write it off and buy a mountain bike or something, it costs more to ensure a car out here then to pay a mortgage:eek:

turbo_equiped
07-19-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by BennyT
yeah things are not looking good, im gonna write it off and buy a mountain bike or something, it costs more to ensure a car out here then to pay a mortgage:eek:

ahahah
thats a good idea man, it will keep you healthy too.
lol

Strider
07-19-2004, 09:28 PM
www.kanetix.com might give you some idea of what your rates will be... but shop around and you can beat the quotes you'll get from that site.

a lot of members here, including me, recommend Meloche Monnex... give them a try

crx62
07-19-2004, 09:36 PM
if you ever have an accident expect to pay thru ur ass

PGTze
07-19-2004, 09:56 PM
too much, you will be shocked at your rate whatever it is :thumbsdow

spike98
07-19-2004, 10:31 PM
The formula for paying albertan insurance is:

(angle at bend over^insurance brokers shoe size)/(age-size of anus)=price of insurance

Usually this calculation will give you a unusually high number, this is normal. If you get a small number by chance reduce the size of anus used in the equation, its too big! :barf:

All joking aside you will be paying higher because you accedient is sooner than 6 years. You will probably want full coverage which will be unregulated unlike PL and PD. So expect to pay roughly $4000 per year.

ryder_23
07-19-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Strider

a lot of members here, including me, recommend Meloche Monnex... give them a try

:werd:

i have been with them with my own plan for the last 3 years, and to insure my prelude, from my camry, it was only 105$more per year, not bad considering i'm 19....i think i pay around 2300$/yr pl/pd with theft, and limited glass, 250 deductable...not sure if thats a good price, but better than some quotes i got at over 5000$

Khyron
07-19-2004, 10:54 PM
:whipped:

BennyT
07-19-2004, 11:07 PM
I've heard that if a woman insures a vehicle it is a little cheaper....any thruth to this crazy myth.

BTW the more I read the bigger the load is getting in my pants.....incase anybody cares I am used to paying 1600 per year on my insurance (MB).

So looks like I'm making left turns all day with my eyes closed :D
gotta get my licks in on my 100 deductible before the end of August

boostfed
07-19-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by BennyT
I've heard that if a woman insures a vehicle it is a little cheaper....any thruth to this crazy myth.

BTW the more I read the bigger the load is getting in my pants.....incase anybody cares I am used to paying 1600 per year on my insurance (MB).

So looks like I'm making left turns all day with my eyes closed :D
gotta get my licks in on my 100 deductible before the end of August

Women are deemed lower risk drivers so they pay less money for insurance given an equal record to a man.

The only question that needs to be asked when getting insurance on a car in Alberta. Do you take it with KY or astroglide?