PDA

View Full Version : 2002-3 Jetta TDI?

Barking_Spidre
07-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Hey, this my first post. I'm 18 from Airdrie, if anyone cares. ;)

I've been looking into 2002/2003 Jetta TDI's, the main attraction to them is the gas mileage, and the speed of them. I've heard from my friends that they are pretty quick little cars, but I'm skeptical because my friends aren't exactly mechanics haha.

They drive a 96? Ford probe, a 92 Talon TSI AWD, and a 95 Talon TSI AWD.

Could a stock Jetta TDI beat my friend's talons? Not that it matters, It'd just be cool to know.

Also, what are popular mods for TDI's? I've read alot about an UPsolute? Chip or something along those lines, and What about turbo timers and stuff like that?

Hope to get some replies, Thanks Alot guys!

joegrang
07-18-2004, 07:03 PM
I test drove a 2004 tdi 3 weeks ago... It is definitely very fast.. I was really inpressed.. The shift tronic was an absolute blast to drive but the response is still nothing like a standard.. ac was good interior was mediocre.. broke the sun visor trying to fold it down.. but either than than a very fun car to drive.. sticks to the road well with minimal body roll for a car in that class... only thing that concerns me is vw's engine track record.. how are TDI's are they reliable? If ur friends haven't done any really modding to their cars u could most likely take the probe, maybe the 92 tsi most likely not the 95 though

hjr
07-19-2004, 12:52 AM
the 2004 tdi has an upgraded fuel system compaired to the 2003 and earlier. 10 more hp (from 90 to 100) and a fair chunk more torque (from 210NM to 240NM). You are correct about the upsolute chip. they are regarded as the better chip available at this time. the upsolute.com has a database of the gains on each engine (1.9 tdi 90 & 1.9 PD tdi 100/240).

as for the cars being "fast", to be frank, no they are not. My mother has a 04 tdi wagon and its not a fast car. it could perhaps beat a probe but not a talon tsi. that said they are peppy and reasonably quick, and pretty good milage as well.

for more info try this site and forum: http://www.tdiclub.com/

Forcefed
07-19-2004, 01:57 AM
Great cars! If you want one let me know! My dad is selling his 03 TDI Golf. It's chip'd and other then that stock, it also has 3 years left on warenty. If interested hit me a Pm

CalgaryB5
07-19-2004, 02:54 AM
I have a 00 Jetta GL TDI Auto w/Upsolute. Hold 18psi and spike 26psi. The car is not bad but only high maintenance cost should be expected in the long run for a European car. Resource on the net about modifying and maintenance should go to www.tdiclub.com. There is a local Upsolute chip tuner in Calgary, his name is Mr. Simon L. Visit the local newer dub club for more info, www.newveedub.com .

If you are modifying the car to beat everyone else then that is a different story. A budget of something around $1200 can get your 90hp car into 170hp and 325 torque. More info in the KERMaTDi http://www.kermatdi.com/

Best wishes

hjr. Is your Mom¡¦s TDI chipped?

hjr
07-19-2004, 12:12 PM
nope, the upsolute chip for the PD TDI' engines isnt available here yet. I talked with simon back in jan when we got the car and just last month again and they still arnt ready to do installs on the cars.

Barking_Spidre
07-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Sweet,

Thanks for all the info, it might still be another month till I can get one, So I'll have to get back to ya once I get it....

Anyone got any good deals on an Amp? I got a brand new Kenwood deck mpv-8025 (cost me $500) and I'm gonna get 2 Type r 12".

Thanks anyways :D

Wish me luck ;)