PDA

View Full Version : Got Pho?

Ben
10-31-2002, 12:33 PM
It has been a really long time since some beyond peeps have met up for Pho...We should have a Pho day soon.

mwmhong
10-31-2002, 12:38 PM
Yeah, maybe :)

Madspinner
10-31-2002, 12:41 PM
:thumbsup: May I ask what Pho ,Never heard of it before.

Ben
10-31-2002, 12:56 PM
Kenny, where is your kick ass Pho Biography!

RSeXy
10-31-2002, 01:55 PM
OMG! i am craving pho so badly rite now! haha....i'm so hungry! i was supposed to take Sam out for lunch today...but he never picked up his phone! grrr! oh wells, i will have to go out with someone else later on...he's probably doing hw...something that i should be doing!:banghead: :dunno:

kenny
10-31-2002, 03:35 PM
WHAT IS PHO?

1) it is the most bang-for-your-buck meal I can think of. An X-Large bowl of Pho can pretty much make you full for $5.50 usually.
Although Edmonton just rapes you when it come good Viet food..... (remember a couple weeks back Sykes? grrrrrr.)
I heard there are a few good Viet restaurants up there tho. They were closed for the day when Sykes and I went tho.

2) it is a NOODLE SOUP; not just any type of noodles either, Pho noodles are actually 100% rice (not to be mistaken with any affiliation to cars). Most Pho dishes will be made by stewing beef (ribs, flank etc etc.) to extract the necessary flavor which gives Pho its distinctive taste. Pho also may or may not have the added flavour of burned onion; and as well as a mixture of spices to add flavour to it.
There are many varieities of Pho; go to a Pho restaurant and you will be able to see this. Pho is NEVER cooked with duck. If you ever get a Pho Duck -- you're getting shafted b/c someone is pulling a mask over your head and feeding you crap!
It is almost always cooked with Beef and beef derivatives and sometimes even beef tail (anyone who has tried this will agree that the soup base tastes incredibly sweet.) Some varieties of Pho will use chicken.

3) Pho history: it started off in Northern Vietnam and slowly integrated itself into the southern regions.
It is an "anytime of the day meal"; in Vietnam, you will find pho stands everywhere at all times of the day. Pho for breakfast is a common sight.
Pho from the Northern region will almost always comprise purely of beef and beef derivative soup bases.
When you move to the central region of Vietnam, there will be more variety in the meat medium used to cook Pho.
There are also varying varieties in how spicy the Pho will be as well since central region Vietnamese people are known to eat spicy foods (I know... I'm from central VN).
Southern region Pho is a combination of other regions and derives no specialties that can be affixiated with that region itself.

4) How to eat Pho: Use a chopstick and Chinese soup spoon. You will also usually have an assortment of sauces to apply to the dish to give added flavour to it.
Hoisin Sauce: (AKA Black Soya Bean Sauce -- not soya sauce)
a black sauce with thick consistency and a sweet fragrance to it. It adds sweetness to the Pho.
Chili Sauce: (AKA hotsauce) -- adds spice to the dish
Fish Sauce: (AKA Nuoc Mam) a pungent smelling light brown transparent sauce which adds an almost sour-sweet taste to the Pho. Note: Commonly used in most Vietnamese dishes

source: thich

szw
10-31-2002, 05:35 PM
You guys get full of pho? 1/2 an hour later I'm hungry again!

kevie88
10-31-2002, 06:14 PM
I love it for that.. I can get full at lunch, and still go for a good dinner later!

sexualbanana
10-31-2002, 08:47 PM
i want pho.

CRXguy
10-31-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by szw
You guys get full of pho? 1/2 an hour later I'm hungry again!

Yeah man. It fills you up good, but you get hungry again really quick.:D

lammer
11-01-2002, 09:03 AM
mmmmmmmmmmm, pho:thumbsup:

lilboykorea
11-01-2002, 09:26 PM
i eat 2 dishes at a time usually.. 1 pho and 1 bun...:drool:

TheXplosion
11-21-2002, 03:54 PM
Dammm i remeber the first time my friend took me ummmmmmmmm.Damm iam fasting right now, and ive just seen this thread and now iam SOOO hungry:drool: :banghead:

got M
11-21-2002, 03:59 PM
pho ho ho:love:

Ben
11-21-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by TheXplosion
Dammm i remeber the first time my friend took me ummmmmmmmm.Damm iam fasting right now, and ive just seen this thread and now iam SOOO hungry:drool: :banghead:

Your loss...hahah, sorry bud, I understand...

HRD2PLZ
11-21-2002, 09:38 PM
I might be down for some pho...haven't had any in so long.

Dope Dealer
11-21-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
I might be down for some pho...haven't had any in so long.

Only twenty days late Trevor! :)

I haven't tried any yet. :dunno:

HRD2PLZ
11-21-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer

Only twenty days late Trevor! :)

I haven't tried any yet. :dunno:

:rofl: :rofl: I'm such a dumbass! I didn't even look at the date. I just saw it at the top of the forum...:rofl: :rofl:

Its actually pretty good. I've only had it a few times, and only when a few of us from work go for lunch.

van
11-22-2002, 05:14 PM
Nothing beat's home-made Pho :D

redline_13000
11-22-2002, 05:36 PM
i think im gonna go next time and try this stuff out

RSeXy
11-26-2002, 05:59 PM
i had pho today. i've reached my pho threshold. no more pho!

sushi on the otherhand...:confused: :D

Redlyne_mr2
11-26-2002, 06:34 PM
so theres no such thing as pho made with chicken broth? its all beef?:thumbsdow

GTS Jeff
11-26-2002, 08:51 PM
its all MSG so its all good...

hmmmm id be down for a sushi fest..

Ben
11-26-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by defekt1
Nothing beat's home-made Pho :D