PDA

View Full Version : idividual throttle bodies

boi-alien
10-31-2002, 01:21 PM
what are your thoughts on these? i was thinking of getting ITB and then turbocharging, is it worth the cost? or am i better off just getting a bigger throttle body, and intake manifold?

Davan
10-31-2002, 01:24 PM
I don't know any real life numbers on gains, but I know of a guy who is running individual tb's on a neon. Not sure what his results are yet...

http://pub55.ezboard.com/fisefffrm4.showMessage?topicID=162.topic

:)

Ekliptix
10-31-2002, 01:26 PM
I know it can be good on na engines, but not sure about turbo.

ls/vtec-crx
10-31-2002, 03:48 PM
yeah i don't think you can run Individual Throttle Bodies with a turbo. It's basically meant for NA motors. You should just go with a JG Edelbrock manifold and throttle body. I 've also found out a price for the individual throttle bodies. it's about $2400 us.

cocoabrova
10-31-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by ls/vtec-crx
yeah i don't think you can run Individual Throttle Bodies with a turbo
Actually in the latest SS mag, there's an old school Celica with ITB's and a turbo. Looks pretty :bigpimp: Guys are running turbos even with the single downdraft/dual sidedraft carbs:thumbsup: Hey Al, what brand is that $2400 US for?? Is that how much the TODA ITB's would be??:drool: :drool:

turboMiata
10-31-2002, 05:40 PM
NA only.

Here's a picture of a really cool IRTB setup on a NA6CE miata:

http://members.aol.com/solomiata//IRTBprogress1-121299.jpg

http://members.aol.com/solomiata/IRTB.jpg

ls/vtec-crx
10-31-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova

Actually in the latest SS mag, there's an old school Celica with ITB's and a turbo. Looks pretty :bigpimp: Guys are running turbos even with the single downdraft/dual sidedraft carbs:thumbsup: Hey Al, what brand is that $2400 US for?? Is that how much the TODA ITB's would be??:drool: :drool:

yes it was for the toda.

dj_honda
10-31-2002, 06:34 PM
yea i think individual throttle bodies are usually if u are gonna go N/A, not sure about the benifits with tubo....but they sure as hell look amazing....expecially the ones on a sr20det or a 4age..:drool:

three.eighteen.
10-31-2002, 07:29 PM
what kind of perf gains come from itb and the right equipment with them (ie ecu mods)?...i asked this on the dtmpower boards about my little 4cyl and most replies were "get boost"

boi-alien
10-31-2002, 09:22 PM
i know that it's possible to run ITBs on a turbo car. here's an example.

http://www.race101.com/images_02/battle_9_02/highres/DSC02558.JPG

just wondering if it's worth it for all the trouble or not..

jrez
01-03-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by ls/vtec-crx
yeah i don't think you can run Individual Throttle Bodies with a turbo. It's basically meant for NA motors. You should just go with a JG Edelbrock manifold and throttle body. I 've also found out a price for the individual throttle bodies. it's about $2400 us.

Why do you think you cant use ITB's with a turbo engine?, and were did you get the idea "It's basically meant for NA motors"?
They have, and do, work great in either type of engine. Sounds more like you " don't know" instead of you " dont think" .

:dunno:

rice_eater
01-03-2004, 12:23 AM
isn't is a BItch to tune and get it to run properly if you DIY, and really expensive to get someone else to do it for you? i think that's the main reasons why so few people do it...as for gains...just think about how much air you could fit through, and not only that, but it goes evenly through all cylinders

thich
01-03-2004, 12:49 AM
just a lot more parts to work with

it's not that it can't be done though; the GTiR SR20 has itbs as mentioned

rage2
01-03-2004, 01:00 AM
It works fine in a turbo setup. Here's a 944 Turbo ITB intake manifold :
http://www.jmengines.com/images/barrel_1.jpg

GTS Jeff
01-03-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by boi-alien
i know that it's possible to run ITBs on a turbo car. here's an example.

http://www.race101.com/images_02/battle_9_02/highres/DSC02558.JPG

just wondering if it's worth it for all the trouble or not.. well itbs are there for better airflow (basically having the flow of carbs but with the pros of efi), so wouldnt having that huge thing there kinda negate the purpose of itbs?

Primer_Drift
01-03-2004, 03:07 AM
I'm not sure putting 3 extra (on a 4cyl) TB's on any engine gives it better airflow, I'd think it would flow slightly less in cfm, due to the extra restriction of the butterfly valves. I'd speculate the reason they use them is for more even flow through each runner with less air starvation to the runner farthest from the intake.. thereby maximizing air/fuel delivery.
Just a thought..

rage2
01-03-2004, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
I'm not sure putting 3 extra (on a 4cyl) TB's on any engine gives it better airflow, I'd think it would flow slightly less in cfm, due to the extra restriction of the butterfly valves. I'd speculate the reason they use them is for more even flow through each runner with less air starvation to the runner farthest from the intake.. thereby maximizing air/fuel delivery.
Just a thought..
There is no restriction. It's a barrel valve, so it's a smooth port for air to flow through at WOT. Also, even though each throttle body is smaller, it's still flow way more than a single throttle body. Take the max CFM for a single one and multiply it by 4. It'll be way better than a single large.

Another advantage is super quick throttle response. With very little air volume between the throttle body and the intake valves, there's zero lag, instant throttle response.

jrez
01-04-2004, 12:41 AM
Agree with you rage2. You only have to look at what the racing world(auto & bikes) has been doing in the past 30+ years, to know that there are serious gains in airflow and response to be had with the use of ITB's. The Porsche 917,all 1200+ turboed hp of it, was ITB, 956 twin turbo Gruppe C was ITB, ANY superbike in recent history, off shore racing boats, etc. The list is very long cause they work.

* the closer you mount them to the intake valve, the better the response. :thumbsup:

lude_conduct
01-04-2004, 10:47 PM
As well, ITB offer very precise throttle modulation and a unique sound. With an agressive cam package and good tuning, I've heard of gains anywhere between 10-40whp depending on the engine and tune of it.
IMO, it's kind of redundent to put them on a turbocharged car unless you have cash to blow.

rage2
01-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by lude_conduct
IMO, it's kind of redundent to put them on a turbocharged car unless you have cash to blow.
Or rules regulating boost pressure :).