PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance Question

rayjui
07-18-2004, 10:45 PM
My car was parked in front of my house last Friday. When I was about to drive it for dinner on that day, I found there was a big scrach on the hood. And not far from my car I found an ax with my car paint on it. Because the road was in construction, I believe the ax is belonged to those workers. I'll call City of Calgary to make a claim on this. Hopefully I can get them to pay for this.

But the worse case is: I'll have to pay that by myslef. If that's the case, do you guys think I should conact my insurance company and get them to pay that for me (I got full coverage on my car)? Many people told me that my insurance fee will increase next year if I make a claim like this (even if this is not my fault). Is that true? What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help!!!

sabad66
07-18-2004, 11:19 PM
i dont know how much your deductible is, but wouldnt the deductible be more than what it costs to repair a scratch?

rayjui
07-19-2004, 12:31 AM
My deductable is $500. In fact, my hood has to be repainted (due to that deep scratch) and the plastic thing under the windshield (i don't know what's that called) is broken too. I guess the cost to fix everything is between $500 and $1000.

So do you guys think it's worth to make a claim to my insurance company? I need to make sure that my insurance fee won't go up next year!!!

fast95pony
07-19-2004, 12:47 AM
Difficult to say,but insurance companies are out to screw everyone,so it will probably go up.

sillyd
07-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Do not make an insurance claim unless you absolutely have to. One claim may not do anything to your rates, but it will always be on your file and the more you have = bad.

If it's a big problem go through insurance, but not worth it to save a few hundred $ IMO.

rayjui
07-19-2004, 03:56 PM
I see. Thank you guys for the help. I guess I'll just pay it myself.