PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Hoods

Blue Devil 2
10-31-2002, 03:38 PM
What company makes the best quality? and also, do hood pins serve a purpose?

max_boost
10-31-2002, 03:40 PM
Fiber Images are really good so I hear.....

Hood Pins, aren't they there just to release your hood without going into the car and releasing it?:dunno:

I saw it on the fast and the furious!:rofl:

Blue Devil 2
10-31-2002, 03:42 PM
hahaha if you saw it on fast and furious it must be true!!:D

shadowz
10-31-2002, 04:08 PM
Yes Fiber Images makes good quality hoods, but so does VIS and it costs less than FI mine fits awesome and the weave is very good too, hood pins are a saftey thing just in case the hood lifts up and smacks into your window, since some hoods tend to lift at high speeds or some hoods just dont come with latches

B17a
10-31-2002, 04:16 PM
A little naive here, but what's the deal with CF hoods?:dunno:

got M
10-31-2002, 06:24 PM
my hood lifts up an inch or so at "highway" speeds kida scary.
IMO, hood pins are there to serve a pupose, though i think they take away from the clean lines of a car.

dj_honda
10-31-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by B17a
A little naive here, but what's the deal with CF hoods?:dunno:

they are strong and really light, and they look amazing

szw
10-31-2002, 10:26 PM
They are not that light. The weight savings are pretty marginal (20lbs?)

If you are buying it to save weight you have a stripped/full race car.

Otherwise its just for looks, which is OK too. I think they look awesome.

Hood pins are essential...you don't know how well the latches are made. Don't risk losing your hood and shattering it and/or your windshield. Also very dangerous at high speeds if it decides to fly off.

Also the hoods you buy are not real carbon fiber, they are fiberglass underlay with carbonfiber sheets glassed onto the top layers. Its not bad, still pretty strong, but not as strong as PURE carbonfiber which would cost thousands of dollars.

I read in a magazine a good review of Fiberimages, where they were invited to the factory and actually ran over their hood with a car and stayed intact.

D'z Nutz
11-01-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by szw
Also the hoods you buy are not real carbon fiber, they are fiberglass underlay with carbonfiber sheets glassed onto the top layers. Its not bad, still pretty strong, but not as strong as PURE carbonfiber which would cost thousands of dollars.

I read somewhere that real carbon fiber is 3 times stronger than steel and 1/2 the weight, but don't quote me on that exactly. Can anyone verify? :dunno:

buh_buh
11-01-2002, 12:09 AM
if your looking for a high quality CF hood, Fibre Images and VIS probably makes the best ones like shadowz said. But I've heard Fibre Images hoods are actually a little lighter than VIS, but VIS hoods aren't as expensive. And as far as hood pins go, some CF hoods don't have a safety latch on them, so hood pins may actually be required. But if you have one that has a safety latch, it may be wise to get hood pins anyways. IMO I don't really like the hood pins because I think it ruins the clean lines of the car also. Mine does flap around at high speeds, but I've gone up to 200km/h (on the track), and its still attached to my car *knock on wood*

shadowz
11-01-2002, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I read somewhere that real carbon fiber is 3 times stronger than steel and 1/2 the weight, but don't quote me on that exactly. Can anyone verify? :dunno:

I hear it can be very dangerous to have a genuine carbon hood on a car even the ones we have no since they do not crumple there is a risk of it slicing through the top of your car

buh_buh
11-01-2002, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by szw
I read in a magazine a good review of Fiberimages, where they were invited to the factory and actually ran over their hood with a car and stayed intact.
that video is on the Fibre Images website.

kenny
11-01-2002, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by shadowz

I hear it can be very dangerous to have a genuine carbon hood on a car even the ones we have no since they do not crumple there is a risk of it slicing through the top of your car

Solution: Carbon Fibre A pillars!

eur0
11-01-2002, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by kenny

haha very good idea, shit, smart guy :thumbsup:

buh_buh
11-01-2002, 03:34 AM

ok while your at it why don't you get a carbon fibre windshield in case the hood flies through the windshield and decapitates you.

kenny
11-01-2002, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh

ok while your at it why don't you get a carbon fibre windshield in case the hood flies through the windshield and decapitates you.

Cuz the CF A pillars should be able to hold it back! hahah

shadowz
11-01-2002, 04:41 AM

Cuz the CF A pillars should be able to hold it back! hahah

LOL

Illusionsir
11-01-2002, 05:12 AM
Some people also use the hood pins just because the aftermarket
hood didnt come with a latch!!

at least thats my excuse!

Mikko
11-01-2002, 08:11 PM
The average hoods do weigh a lot, and removing 9kg from that particular location would still be a pretty good idea. That weight is quite a bit above the center of gravity, and it's in the (probably) already front heavy end..

But as a single upgrade it's pretty pointless. The tyres deserve far more attention than some hood.