PDA

View Full Version : Removing the A/C from a G2 teg

freakin
07-20-2004, 04:55 PM
Just wondering what's involved in taking the air conditioning out of my 92 integra. I never use it, so I figure I can save some weight and pull one of those belts off of the crank. I realize I need to get the system drained first, but is it just a compressor, condensor and a couple of lines that I need to take out? Any idea of how much weight I'd actually take off of the car? Is this even worth doing considering that everything is working just fine?

FiveFreshFish
07-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Keep it for the sake of your passengers and for resale value.

powerslave
07-20-2004, 10:00 PM
Hey Matt, check this out
http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17635
I'm sure there's more on G2IC.

sabad66
07-20-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Keep it for the sake of your passengers and for resale value.
:werd: i would do absolutely ANYTHING to have a/c in my 91 civic. how can you not use it during the hot weather lately too?

freakin
07-21-2004, 07:54 AM
^^^ I'd rather just keep the windows open. You'd be surprised how much power that little compressor robs when the A/C is on. I honestly never use it. I don't drive during the day, unless it's a weekend, so I'm normally not stuck in traffic. I think the only time I've used it, other than periodically turning it on at least once a month to keep everything lubricated, was last summer when I went to BC for a couple days.

I completely forgot about G2IC.....I need to start going there more often. Thanks Phil.

Moonracer
07-21-2004, 08:02 AM
I'm with ya freakin, I don't want my a/c either. I'm waiting til I get a new engine before I get rid of it, like you are now. :D

freakin
07-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Moonracer
I'm with ya freakin, I don't want my a/c either. I'm waiting til I get a new engine before I get rid of it, like you are now. :D

Exactly....now (er, soon ;)) is the time to do it, while the engine bay is empty.

Moonracer
07-21-2004, 08:11 AM
:thumbsup:

B17a
07-21-2004, 08:16 AM
How much weight will that save? Sounds like a lot of work for possible not much benefit.

freakin
07-21-2004, 08:22 AM
^^^ That's what I'd like to know....that compressor is one heavy SOB, plus all the lines etc....I'm still debating if it's worth it or not. I can't find any concrete numbers on G2IC on weight. This is how I'm looking at it:
I'm not using it, the motor's going to be out anyhow, why not just take it out? It's just dead weight to me.

I've even had an offer to buy the system already. :thumbsup:

Moonracer
07-21-2004, 09:15 AM
If I had to make a guess I'd say around 20lbs or so if everything was removed. :dunno:

freakin
07-21-2004, 10:07 AM
damn, do you think that's all? I was figuring on 100+ lbs. Either way...that's not a whole lot.

Moonracer
07-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Yeah well if you don't even use it then why have it on there, just something else to go wrong imo. 100lbs....no way it's that much however I am guessing. I'd go as far as 30lbs but it will be interesting to find out. :nut:

civicsi
07-21-2004, 01:09 PM
before i installed AC into my civic (should be close to the integ), with all bolts and lines its a whopping 35 pounds.... :whocares:
its a nice feature to have whether you use it or not, its not that heavy. If you feel that its robbing power from you, then cut the belt off, takes 30 seconds....... putting a new belt on will take a lil longer.

freakin
07-22-2004, 08:04 AM
I think the A/C is going to stay in. Everything works, and it doesn't weigh all the much. Might as well keep it for those 2-3 times a year that I use it.

Punk
07-25-2004, 06:31 PM
:) If you really want to take it out here's what you do....\
The compressor is heavy, but not too heavy for you to be able to take out on your own. First thing, find any of the many pressure releif valves on the hoses.CAUTION:BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH FREON!!! It is pressureized and can freeze on contact. Find something to hold the valve open(it's like a tire valve). Relieve all the valves. Once preassure is gone it's just a matter of loosening the bellt, disconnecting the hoses, and sensor wires, and yank it out. Took it out of my Omni, it's easy.(Then again, my freon was already leaked out). It saves about 5 horsepower or less, and not much weight difference.:banghead:

freakin
07-26-2004, 12:40 PM
I've already decided that I'm not going to remove it. But the questions I had were more Integra specific. There are some parts under the dash and through the firewall that I was more concerned about. No need to worry about that anymore. It's easier to just keep it. Thanks for the help though (even though it's a little on the irresponsible side;)).