PDA

View Full Version : What would you like Race City to change to benefit sport compacts?

rage2
07-21-2004, 10:15 AM
Stuff like battery relocation / cutoff rules, car registered under parent's names, etc. I'm working on a proposal with Race city to help them with a better image towards sport compacts. Can't guarantee anything, but I would like to bring every issue you guys have to the table.

If you were at the v8less challenge event last saturday, you would know that the tech process was AWESOME as compared to friday nights. Which means they ARE willing to work with the sport compact community to get them out on the track. My 944, which is not registered under my name, was able to run without anyone raising a stink. I know the battery relocation cutoff rule was not in place either. And nobody bitched about my SLK being a convertible and setting a 13.5s cap on it.

So if you guys want something to change, post it here.

Allow tshirts to be worn while racing (no problems during v8less)
Improved system for permission to run cars not registered to drivers
AutoX Fees. $15 for tech, $10 for autox and/or $10 for drag. $55 for autox only too much

Gonthro
07-21-2004, 10:23 AM
for private events the insurance is diffrent, that probably why they were a little more lean with the rules for you guys... but its good to hear there were no hassles.

Redlyne_mr2
07-21-2004, 10:27 AM
-No insurance required for track only vehicles
-Allow tshirts to be worn while racing (no problems during v8less)
-No Helmets required for drag if you run slower than 17 second 1/4 mile times

Thanks rage

Gonthro
07-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
-No insurance required for track only vehicles
-Allow tshirts to be worn while racing (no problems during v8less)
-No Helmets required for drag if you run slower than 17 second 1/4 mile times

Thanks rage

thier insurance would NEVER allow anyone participating in any event as a driver to NOT wear a helmet, i dont know why you would not want to wear one anyways.

and no insurance is required for track only vehicles, the reason they require it on friday nights is for proof that the vehicle is street legal, since 99% of insurance companies wont cover you when you are on the track.

Redlyne_mr2
07-21-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Gonthro
thier insurance would NEVER allow anyone participating in any event as a driver to NOT wear a helmet, i dont know why you would not want to wear one anyways.

Why would you say that? I have been to quite a few tracks that don't even require helmets for road course:eek: Requiring a helmet for a driver racing a car with a 70mph trap speed is just retarded

rage2
07-21-2004, 10:37 AM
Actually, I believe NHRA rules don't require a helmet until 13.99 or something. At mission, guys were running 14's with no helmet according to kenny. So it might be just a race city policy. I might be wrong on this one though.

Regardless, helmets is not a big deal IMO. They have them for rent there anyways.

and no insurance is required for track only vehicles, the reason they require it on friday nights is for proof that the vehicle is street legal, since 99% of insurance companies wont cover you when you are on the track.
When I spoke with race city reps, cars trailered in do not require insurance and are allowed to run on friday nights. Nothing to do with street legal, they just want to prove that the car is registered and insured to whoever is driving, and they know that no insurance coverage. It's a flawed system, and I found a loophole too. Numbers are assigned to DRIVERS not CARS. So if you have a permission slip to run a car, you will get a number. With that number, you can bring ANY car without permission because you've run before.

fcuk_it
07-21-2004, 10:39 AM
they should have security in the parking lots so goofs in cavaliers can't become the fwd drift kings they wish they could be...:thumbsup:

JAYMEZ
07-21-2004, 10:40 AM
Proposal sounds good! maybe more ppl will come to Secret street instead of the damn street races!

Boosted_TL
07-21-2004, 10:43 AM
They do !! Its just hard to keep track !! There are so many Cavaliers

LOL

cycosis
07-21-2004, 11:08 AM
ya allowing people to race their cars, that are not registered to them would be HUGE, that would almost kill the street racing population.

Z_Fan
07-21-2004, 11:19 AM
Well...

I think that with respect to 'kids' taking their parents car and being denied...this is just pushing them to race elsewhere. If the parents actually approve, there should be some avenue to get them at least doing it in a safer/controlled manner. So....

It should be an identical process to that of 'company' cars. The company must write a letter acknowledging the cars participation at Secret Streets. Parents should have the same ability. The only thing I would worry about is kids forging this letter. So perhaps an in-person visit by the parent (one-time) to get their kid & car combination on a list of sorts.

Oh - and a big one is 'additional' fee for Auto-Cross. This is a big time piss off. I think they should charge $15 for tech (which is a joke anyhow) -> and then $10 for drag *OR* $10 for Auto-Cross. As opposed to 'on top off'. (So still $25) Unless you want to do both. But I think it's brutal having to pay $40 to do Auto-Cross only. That's not going to draw the crowds out if you know what I mean.

As for helmets. Race City would be NUTS to let anyone on their track without one. Helmets should be mandatory on a race track. At all times IMO. Purely safety issue here, and common sense. You have to remember there are two cars going down the strip, and at any time shit can happen. People die and/or are seriously injured all the time in vehicles travelling far slower than what 'slow' cars do at Race City. I recognize that the chance is unlikely, but the more cars that make passes, the closer you get to the 'one' incident that is just waiting to occur. Now obviously you're going to find a lot more people who've never needed a helmet. So support is obviously easy to acquire for going topless. <grin> However, I think if you polled only the people who NEEDED a helmet at some point in their lives, they'd be able to give you the straight goods on this issue.

OMFG - UPS is here! Sweet...

benyl
07-21-2004, 11:35 AM
The helmet issue sounds to me like riding a bike without leathers on a 35 degree day. You can go without, but one day you just might need it.

cycosis
07-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by benyl
The helmet issue sounds to me like riding a bike without leathers on a 35 degree day. You can go without, but one day you just might need it.
of course all of the rules are pre-cautions

better safe than sorry i say
if you really dont want to race with a helmet, i think your retarded. safety is #1 i dont know why some people would save the $5 helmet rental fee, especially if it has the chance to save your life

EK 2.0
07-21-2004, 11:54 AM
Although the insurance and registration woes dont affect me...Cyclone is under my name...

the helmet thing should be optional until 13.5 or something...

and t-shirts GOD yes, let us wear those, it does get hot in those cars...and I gutted my A/C...

and if it is a track only vehicle...towed in...no insurnce should be required...I have a few friends who would race if that rule was not in place...

girlRACER
07-21-2004, 12:14 PM
Allow passengers on AutoX

benyl
07-21-2004, 12:15 PM
what do you have to wear if you can't wear t-shirts? Full body armour?

90_Shelby
07-21-2004, 12:17 PM
Have you guys seen what the NHRA rules are regarding helmets? Last time I checked you didn't have to wear one unless you are faster than 14's....... The helmet rule is a Race City only rule. That goes for shorts and T-shirts aswell.

Another complaint to Race City would be the garbage in the pits. I was disgusted to see the amount of garbage by the Oval as I pulled into the pits and that is a horrible first sight for some of our guests from Edmonton. I don't care if it blew in from the dump or whatever the excuse may be. Clean it up.

Gonthro
07-21-2004, 12:18 PM
it jsut has to be longs sleeves... just get a light long sleeved shirt, thats what i use for oval racing... and a 30 lap oval race is much warmer and longer than a (hopefully less than) 20 second drag run, or under a moniute for an auto-x run

also, there is not NHRA anymore (not sure if its just RCS or everywhere), it is not the IHRA

ryder_23
07-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
Well...

I think that with respect to 'kids' taking their parents car and being denied...this is just pushing them to race elsewhere. If the parents actually approve, there should be some avenue to get them at least doing it in a safer/controlled manner. So....

OMFG - UPS is here! Sweet...

LOL, be prepared to be raped :poosie:

I agree with the insurance/registration name matching issue...

I'm not 100% sure with their current policy, but atleast if your last name matchs registration/insurance you should be able to go without a permission slip, but i believe this policy is good, to prevent people with say, stolen cars, to go out and race there... :dunno:

What does the Long sleeves benefit..?

EK 2.0
07-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by benyl
what do you have to wear if you can't wear t-shirts? Full body armour?

long sleeved shorts and pants...plus they razzed me and gave me guff one time for sandals...you have to wear shoes...that was a while ago...I am not sure if thats the same anymore...:dunno:

Gonthro
07-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

long sleeved shorts and pants...plus they razzed me and gave me guff one time for sandals...you have to wear shoes...that was a while ago...I am not sure if thats the same anymore...:dunno:

yeha,that has been a rule forever, all competitiors must have long sleeves, full length pants and close toed shoes, and all people in a hot pit must have (at least) a t-shirt, full lenght pants and closed toed shoes.

Idratherbsidewayz
07-21-2004, 03:50 PM
And how about they clear the gravel off the autox track...

rage2
07-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz
And how about they clear the gravel off the autox track...
I need that to get sideways, sorry! :D

Redlyne_mr2
07-21-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER
Allow passengers on AutoX
They do during Friday night autox's just not during v8less because it was sort of a competition. :)

If drifting is going to become a regular thing at race city theyre going to have to change their rules about tires. Maybe they were cool about worn tires when they teched the drifters at v8less, that Im not sure about, but it might be nice to put that in the rule book

bighead2267
07-22-2004, 09:39 PM
i think they shouldn't charge vistor for friday night, b'coz alot of ppl don't want to pay to watch for the first time. i'm sure if they can attract more ppl to go in and watch, there will be more car to join instead of joining the street race. personally, i know alot of ppl scare to go into race city for their first time............

Redlyne_mr2
07-22-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by bighead2267
i think they shouldn't charge vistor for friday night, b'coz alot of ppl don't want to pay to watch for the first time. i'm sure if they can attract more ppl to go in and watch, there will be more car to join instead of joining the street race. personally, i know alot of ppl scare to go into race city for their first time............
They need to cover their operating expenses and make a little bit of money somehow:)

fast95pony
07-22-2004, 09:55 PM
Friday nights AutoX is way too expensive.If I'm only autoxing ,why should I pay for drag racing ??
And why must my windows be closed during autoxing ??

I much prefer the CSCC's Solo 2 events . T-shirts/shorts allowed,windows open. Much more comfortable.

fast95pony
07-22-2004, 09:57 PM
. personally, i know alot of ppl scare to go into race city for their first time............

What are they scared of ??

illeagle
07-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Is there a windshield crack rule? My Mazda has a good crack going accross the windsheild. if there is a rule on that, see if you can change it.. thx,,

bighead2267
07-23-2004, 09:16 AM
well, they've to cover their expensve, but for a long term, it can bring in more ppl eventually. or else, charge $5 for a car instead of $5 per person..............

Z_Fan
07-23-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by ryder_23

LOL, be prepared to be raped :poosie:

Ugh! It was very expensive. Hell, I didn't need that 1.2k anyhow. Duty. GST. Brokerage fees. GST. OMFG!

DSM Power
07-25-2004, 04:45 PM
In terms of rules changes I really don't think any are needed. People seem to bring up the battery relocation rule and yet how many of you really have this problem? :rolleyes: :dunno: I don't think the rules around ownership should be relaxed at all.

I wouldn't mind having a t-shirt, but pants and shoes are no big deal. I totally agree with the need for a helmet regardless of how fast/slow your car is.

Err, so basically the only thing I can add here is that the price of Auto-X is too high. :poosie:

rage2
07-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by DSM Power
I don't think the rules around ownership should be relaxed at all.
A lot of under 25 folks get their cars under their parents name to qualify for occasional driver status. These folks get affected.

My 944 is under my parents company name, the original purpose of the vehicle when we first purchased it was for advertising/marketing purposes.

But I can get away with running ANY car because I already have a number from my AMG, which is under my name. Numbers are assigned to drivers, not cars. I can also remove the plates and say the car was trailered in. That will also be allowed to run. Nice little loophole ;).

The system shouldn't be relaxed to allow anyone to bring any car, it should be changed to close this loophole, and yet allow the 2 above examples to run if permission from the registered owner/company is provided. Today, if you bring a permission slip, you won't be allowed to run that night. Race city staff will call the owners to verify later in the week, sometimes they forget... a process that takes 2-3 weeks. Most people don't even bother going back.

Oh, and next year, you have to repeat the process all over again because everyone gets assigned new numbers.

Ben
07-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Bud Park > Race City

Bud Park keeps the Fun involved. Race City makes everything such a formality.

Idratherbsidewayz
07-25-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Bud Park &gt; Race City

Bud Park keeps the Fun involved. Race City makes everything such a formality.

Its more of an informal place though. It doesn't have autox or solo2...

88CRX
07-25-2004, 05:36 PM
I cant believe people are complaining about paying $5 to watch...... thats pretty dam cheap for a night of entertainment. :dunno:

Battery cut off :thumbsdow

bighead2267
07-25-2004, 07:43 PM
well, if they've in before, it's worth that $5. but alot of ppl don't even know what they looks like. may be alot of ppl expect it's like a party in fast and furtrious..........who knows:burnout:

googe
07-25-2004, 08:02 PM
well, if they've in before, it's worth that $5. but alot of ppl don't even know what they looks like. may be alot of ppl expect it's like a party in fast and furtrious..........who knows:burnout:

no one wants those types there anyways so it doesnt matter then ;)

Seanith
07-26-2004, 04:39 PM
I agree on the whole auto x should be$10, and drag $10. Paying for drag when you only want to auto x is rediculous..

and who the hell is complaining about $5 to watch? How cheap are YOU? :thumbsdow

Ben
07-26-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

Its more of an informal place though. It doesn't have autox or solo2...

Thats new this year, race city has ALWAYS been a tight ass compared to bud park.

bighead2267
07-26-2004, 09:50 PM
fine, forget about what i said.........:dunno: