PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Photographers

Vertigo
07-21-2004, 02:40 PM
Hey guys and gals,

Sorry for the 'lame' post here but my fiancee wanted me to ask if any of the photographers on the board were interested in doing wedding photography for us next June. The location will definitely be in Calgary and we've managed to agree on a price range.:bigpimp:

We'd like to go with a more contemporary theme (ie no limos either, just two Yukons) and want the photos to reflect this image. Traditional-style pics probably won't cut it.

I believe Melinda does some wedding shoots so I'll check out her site...just wondering if anyone else is in the business or can recommend someone? :angel:

Melinda
07-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Yep I do wedding stuff...not alot on my site to reflect that but I do :) Send me an email ([email protected]) and we'll talk about it

Dirty_SOHC
07-21-2004, 03:27 PM
I recomend Melinda for wedding pictures. Seen alot of the work and:thumbsup:

benyl
07-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Dirty_SOHC
I recomend Melinda for wedding pictures. Seen alot of the work and:thumbsup:

Haha, you HAVE to say that! I detect a conflict of interest!

BebeAphrodite
07-21-2004, 04:29 PM
he he he,
I think the resident semi sorta official Beyond photographers (in alphabetical order) are Ben, Benyl, and Melinda.
I've seen them all pump out fantastic work!!!
:thumbsup:
Just go through the gallery and you'll see some amazing photos by all of them. Can't go wrong with any of the three.
BTW, congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Melinda
07-21-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
he he he,
I think the resident semi sorta official Beyond photographers (in alphabetical order) are Ben, Benyl, and Melinda.
Just go through the gallery and you'll see some amazing photos by all of them. Can't go wrong with any of the three.
This is very true, there are some great photographers on the site. Depending on what they're looking for depends on the kind of photographer they'll want.

I've found alot of people seek me out because I am female and therefore can be in the room for the picture opprotunities when all the girls are getting dressed and ready for the big day. For some brides, this is an important part of the day and they like to have it photographed :)

Gonthro
07-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
he he he,

dont forget Graham (Ecliptix) ;)

benyl
07-21-2004, 04:48 PM
By the way, Melinda is a great photographer. I would volunteer, but I do not have the equipment nor the talent/experience to do something as important as a wedding.

Vertigo
07-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Wow, thanks so far everyone! :thumbsup:

I've been on the board lurking for quite a while and the photo threads are my favourite!

Me and the boss will chat it over for a bit and PM a few of you. I think it would be cool to work with someone from the club!

Ekliptix
07-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro

dont forget Graham (Ecliptix) ;)

I get no love. :thumbsup:

Melinda is the most experienced w/ portraits imo, so she's probably a safe bet.:)

Zephyr
07-21-2004, 10:50 PM
no one seems to mention ekliptix lately...and i think he was the first to start using high quality photography equipment

Redlyne_mr2
07-21-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
no one seems to mention ekliptix lately...and i think he was the first to start using high quality photography equipment
He's an extreme mountain super star! I love looking at his skidoo pics. Often Ill use his pics as my desktop to remind me of home and all the good skiing Im missing while I waste my life away in Ontario

max_boost
07-21-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Haha, you HAVE to say that! I detect a conflict of interest! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

On a serious note, Mel probably has the most experience with weddings.

Ekliptix
07-21-2004, 11:27 PM

Mel had her camera before me, plus she's taken Photo Journalism at the U of C (I believe).

I don't think it's important who had equipment first really though.;)

Zephyr
07-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix

Mel had her camera before me, plus she's taken Photo Journalism at the U of C (I believe).

yea mel has some nice stuff. just sayin no one seems to mention u lately lol

BebeAphrodite
07-21-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix

yea mel has some nice stuff. just sayin no one seems to mention u lately lol

Ohh my bad.. I never mentioned you because I typically only go to the photo gallery when someone tells me that there are new pictures up and it's usually started by Melinda, Benyl, and Ben (reverse order).. do you start them? I do remember seeing your photos but not in abundance.. or did I just miss them?
Also, I think it was because I didn't see you at the last VUB in Calgary. I saw Ben, Benyl, and Melinda there.

And Ekliptix too to add to my incomplete list.

Ekliptix
07-21-2004, 11:53 PM
I think all the photo ppl mentioned have pics in this month's "Latest Picture" Thread:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&goto=lastpost&forumid=58

I'm actually kinda pissed because I was going to enter the following photo in a contest, but the original was lost when my 2 week old Hard Drive crashed on Sunday:

:whoringthru:
http://www.snowest.com/fusetalk/attachments/Ladybug%2Ejpg

the photo in my sig is a link to me gallery btw. ;)

Melinda
07-22-2004, 12:30 AM
Wow thank you so much for all the nice comments everyone! So many nice things :) Just a small correction, I took photojournalism at SAIT, U of C doesn't offer the course.

And as long as we are correcting "forgotten photographers" tulit should also be added to the list, though for the most part he is a photo lurker :)

sputnik
07-22-2004, 06:50 AM
IMO

Remember that with wedding photography 50% of it is the ability to come up with nice poses and locations, and making sure you get all of the proper shots. Many amateur photographers miss the subtle stuff like "giving away the bride", "the ring exchange" etc.

Not putting down the Beyond photographers, but just because someone is able to take some amazing photos doesnt mean they are right for shooting weddings. Your best bet when looking for a wedding photographer is to find someone that you get along with on a "social" level and that is very personable. Wedding photography is tedious and people can get impatient really quick if things arent planned well. After you find someone friendly and fun... take a look at the photographers wedding portfolio and make sure they have the same eye for style that you are looking for.

Luckily my fiance is a 3rd year photo major at ACAD. So we will have no shortage of photographers to work with, on both the photojournalism and formal styles. My sister also does weddings in the Winnipeg area (http://www.greeneye.ca) and I have assisted her on a couple of occasions so I know that it takes a special person to be able to shoot weddings. For me, I know that I dont have the patience to shoot them.

EDIT: engrish edit

Ben
07-22-2004, 11:15 AM
I have 2 good friends who have been doing wedding photography for 20+ years each, one resides in Airdrie, the other in Calgary. If you would like their names I'd be happy to pass them your contact info :)