PDA

View Full Version : 91 corolla mods

smoothessence
07-21-2004, 03:02 PM
I've got a 1991 corolla fwd and I'm wondering what kinda engine can be put into it instead of the sohc 1.6 in there right now

GTS Jeff
07-21-2004, 03:40 PM
pretty standard upgrades would be either a gze, 20v, or smallport. these are all variations of the same 4ag block which was designed to fit in your car like poo in a toilet.

smoothessence
07-21-2004, 04:10 PM
oh serious? is there any shops in calgary that have done this swap that I can get it done?

GTS Jeff
07-21-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by smoothessence
oh serious? is there any shops in calgary that have done this swap that I can get it done? whoa dude, i just listed 3 different engines...theyre all pretty different so u should research them before u look for a shop!

smoothessence
07-21-2004, 09:44 PM
I know of these engines quite extensively and have een researching them for a ae86 body style engine swap and I dind't know that you could swap it into the fwd platworm until you brought it to my attention. Thanks man.
But again. Is there anybody who has done this swap here? The only ones I've found were in australia.

bmax
07-21-2004, 10:24 PM
I,m not sure if what i'm gonna say is possible or easy but maybe you could go with the gt-s of a celica and turbo it like the 4wd celica. Then again I said that as an idea. Really not sure if its worth the money, hp or whatever.

GTS Jeff
07-21-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by bmax
I,m not sure if what i'm gonna say is possible or easy but maybe you could go with the gt-s of a celica and turbo it like the 4wd celica. Then again I said that as an idea. Really not sure if its worth the money, hp or whatever. cool idea, but expensive.

just about any shop here will do an engine swap, some are better than others. ask around. u wont find any really honest opinions on beyond cuz the mods dont allow much shop bashing.

three.eighteen.
07-21-2004, 10:46 PM
technically the gze and 20v are only available in "transverse" variants, any time you see one in an ae86 its slightly modified to fit

smoothessence
07-21-2004, 11:48 PM
very good. thanks

EricEric
07-22-2004, 12:09 AM
haha, i dont think u should do anything to your car, the 4af or 4afe u have right now is not a sohc(unless u have a 4ac, but thats not possible), its a gear coupled twin cam, haha plus the car is only worth 1000 and 20v gonna cost u like 1600+300, doesnt make much sense does it? one of my cars is that same as yours, i drive it as is, and hope it will last forever, chassis is weak, doesnt handle, limited to how big wheels u can put on it, trany cant take big power, its front drive = dont do anything

I've got a 1991 corolla fwd and I'm wondering what kinda engine can be put into it instead of the sohc 1.6 in there right now

GTS Jeff
07-22-2004, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by EricEric
haha, i dont think u should do anything to your car, the 4af or 4afe u have right now is not a sohc(unless u have a 4ac, but thats not possible), its a gear coupled twin cam, haha plus the car is only worth 1000 and 20v gonna cost u like 1600+300, doesnt make much sense does it? one of my cars is that same as yours, i drive it as is, and hope it will last forever, chassis is weak, doesnt handle, limited to how big wheels u can put on it, trany cant take big power, its front drive = dont do anything

there are plenty of capable modded ae92s out there. everything uve listed applies to ae86s too, except that the 86 is rwd. its basically a toyota civic, but not quite as ghey.

EricEric
07-22-2004, 07:43 PM
i still think he should leave it as is
unless u got money to burn or spare engines lying around
in that case then i ll do whatever u want for you to your 92
one question is it a couple? or a sedan?

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
there are plenty of capable modded ae92s out there. everything uve listed applies to ae86s too, except that the 86 is rwd. its basically a toyota civic, but not quite as ghey.

smoothessence
07-22-2004, 09:49 PM
it's not like it's an assload of money and the thing is that from what I've heard, that engine is a good one and it's got a nice daily driving amount of power for the corolla. it's a sedan by the way.

GTS Jeff
07-23-2004, 12:08 AM
it's not like it's an assload of money and the thing is that from what I've heard, that engine is a good one and it's got a nice daily driving amount of power for the corolla. it's a sedan by the way. oh haha its a sedan? i retract all my statements then!

EricEric
07-24-2004, 05:11 PM
so u dont think a few grand is a assload of money? (for a tight proper install), hehe, sedan....

EK 2.0
07-24-2004, 09:10 PM
look, you can swap in the 4A-GE, 4A-GZE, build a custom turbo set-up...for more work and/or money, you can go ahead with a 3S-GTE swap...but that is entirely up to you...

It's your ride, if you can justify spending whatever it may take to get a one of a kind Rolla, then power to you, DO NOT listen to EricEric, cause he seems to have a bad attitude...you can make the AE92 Sedan handle amazingly well using a lot of the GT-S components...research is your friend

Club 4AG has a few links to sites as well check them out...

smoothessence
07-26-2004, 10:55 AM
thanks cyclone. I know that this corolla isn't the best handeling thing out there but this thing isn't gonna be autox'd or taken to the track at all so I don't think there's a need for any poor corolla sedan bashing. I'm thinking with some springs and some bars and rods and shit to add some more structural ridgidity, it'll be perfect for the street.

btw is that your talon in the sig?

EK 2.0
07-26-2004, 11:03 AM
yes it is...

and the reason I am supporting you...Is I used to own a 90 Corolla Sedan...which I had serious suspension mods to...and it cornered amazingly well...I had even swapped on teh rear dics from a AE GT-S as well...it was a great lil car to boot around in...

EricEric
07-26-2004, 05:49 PM
i have a sedan too, but i choose to leave it stock, why not just start with a coupe? they dont cost alot and there are lots of them? instead fitting coupe parts onto a sedan? if u are set on moddding the sedan then, i think a 7afte would be cool, 1.8 7afe block(find some 8.5 pistons), quite a few have boosted this motor, i have seen manifolds on ebay a few times, use a fe head instead of a ge head for more low end torque, decent power gains can be achived, if all motor do up a 4age, big camms 304 or 288 and high lift(8.3 u can get away with stock spring/bucket), high comp(11:1-12:1ish), carbs or itb, new bolts/bearing all around, take up to 9ish grand... i dont like gze, limted to how much boost u can build, u can only put it at different places of the power band with pullies, and harder to set up, get a lsd from a mr2 also

EricEric
07-26-2004, 05:50 PM
an all track set up from a wagon would be cool too

smoothessence
07-26-2004, 11:41 PM
it needs to be usable and we have the car already and we know it pretty well and how it's been treated and we like it. That's the only reason for wanting to keep it. My bro likes the fact that he can have a nice sleeper-ish corolla.

Keekee
07-30-2004, 08:13 PM
I know some people that can swap the motor in. Its a real easy swap if you stick with the 4a block. honestly I wouldn't go with the 7a to actually get it running strong you would have to do a lot of work. If you want easy good power then go with the gze that will be great for daily driving. The gze only came in the transverse style it was never made for rwd. IF you go with a 20v I know someone who is selling a blacktop with harness ( think ) but I know he's got the motor and I know that its a really really strong motor and is good for daily driving. If you want it to handle good you just have to buy the proper stuff.

EricEric
07-31-2004, 02:50 AM
what are u talking about a 7a block is decent, just the head doesnt flow, but that wont matter any ways cuz u cant rev it like a 4age anyways, and with a small turbo on a 7a or 4afe gives alot of drivable low end torque. all the blocks are the same/similar for the late model 4age or 20v or gze (7 rib), it was only the early 4ac or early 4age that had the smaller pins and crank, but then less mass means u can rev it better, which doesnt make it weaker, it all comes down to what do u want to do, and what do u consider streetable, for decent drop in power just do a 20v(stocker, no modded), the motor are always newer then a gze which are also mroe complicated to setup...

Originally posted by Keekee
I know some people that can swap the motor in. Its a real easy swap if you stick with the 4a block. honestly I wouldn't go with the 7a to actually get it running strong you would have to do a lot of work. If you want easy good power then go with the gze that will be great for daily driving. The gze only came in the transverse style it was never made for rwd. IF you go with a 20v I know someone who is selling a blacktop with harness ( think ) but I know he's got the motor and I know that its a really really strong motor and is good for daily driving. If you want it to handle good you just have to buy the proper stuff.

EricEric
07-31-2004, 02:53 AM
i have another question its a auto or manual?

it needs to be usable and we have the car already and we know it pretty well and how it's been treated and we like it. That's the only reason for wanting to keep it. My bro likes the fact that he can have a nice sleeper-ish corolla.

Keekee
07-31-2004, 12:14 PM
well I was saying that for less work its just a lot easier to do a strait swap but I don't really care what you do doesn't make a difference to me

smoothessence
08-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by EricEric
i have another question its a auto or manual?
Ya it's a manual