PDA

View Full Version : where to buy dextrose/malto?

EG STyLeZ
07-23-2004, 01:38 AM
Does anyone know where I can buy maltodextrin and dextrose in quantities greater than 500g? I tried GNC and a few health food stores, no dice.

turbo_equiped
07-23-2004, 01:40 AM
hmm they had those at GNC...well you can check out some websites for that. They will ship any quantity you want.

davidI
07-28-2004, 02:04 PM
buy dextrose at wine making shops or superstore has it in their wine making section. I think it's $5 for a kg.

EG STyLeZ
07-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Thanks guys. I found some dextrose at a health food store near chinook last week, and i found some maltodextrin today at a health food store in south centre today :thumbsup:

anyways, has anybody use dextrose and maltodextrin in their post workout protein shakes?

davidI
07-29-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by EG STyLeZ
Thanks guys. I found some dextrose at a health food store near chinook last week, and i found some maltodextrin today at a health food store in south centre today :thumbsup:

anyways, has anybody use dextrose and maltodextrin in their post workout protein shakes?

I use dextrose sometimes. I used to use it in a creatine mix post work out and then have some NLarge2 (it's already calorie dense). It would be very good post work out with a low sugar protein though.

YCB
07-29-2004, 10:07 AM
sangsters in malbrough mall... i got a 5kg bag of dex for 17.99.. but they had to order it.. takes about a week.. me and my buddy split it...

taylert
09-09-2004, 09:02 PM
dextrose is pretty much the same as white sugar... isn't it??

1badPT
09-09-2004, 11:00 PM
its actually purer than white sugar which is why its used in wine/beer making (it ferments completely). My shakes consist of whey powder and nothing else... not the best tasting but my recovery time is awesome. I don't eat refined sugar by itself whenever I can avoid it - too much = diabetes...

rahim
09-13-2004, 02:02 AM
they sell dextrose at safeway 5lbs for $6, its near the wine kits

EG STyLeZ
09-13-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
its actually purer than white sugar which is why its used in wine/beer making (it ferments completely). My shakes consist of whey powder and nothing else... not the best tasting but my recovery time is awesome. I don't eat refined sugar by itself whenever I can avoid it - too much = diabetes...

yeah supplementing sugars like dextrose or maltodextrin is to be avoided, EXCEPT in your post workout protein shakes. it's used there to spike your insulin. like 1badPT said, it's not something you want to play around with because it can lead to diabetes

davidI
09-13-2004, 09:55 PM
*Snipped from Wannabebigforums*
It would seem that the idea originated from studies that were later exploited by muscletech et. al. that in the fist hour or so after a strenuous anaerobic workout that ATP and glycogen synthesis (muscle glycogen and ATP- the fuel for lifting) are at their most efficient levels. THis certainly makes sense as their depletion during a strenulous workout would cause the body to want to refill them. This is not to say that glycogen/atp would not be replenished at other times or by other carbs. However, to take advantage of this narrow window of time, high GI would be required.
Now consider that most people utilize a higher carb low fat diet. Their daily energy intake is constantly regulated by high insulin levels (regardles of GI). Now trying to stimulate insulin spikes on top of your already higher insulin levels is more difficult (thus leading to the need for higher amounts of high gi of carbs). There arises the issue of insulin resistance (similar reasoning to the repeated use of gear and the need for higher levels) when following such a strategy. Keeping in mind that insulin stimulates fat formation, i would conclude that taking high postworkout gi is not very useful. In fact you get very little bang for your fat forming buck.
However, if you follow a lower carb diet, you have much lower insulin levels- your receptors are more open to the effects of insulin. Thus taking in carbs at this point will give a stronger response for your buck. You needn't necessarily use malto, or something as high in gi, or as many carbs to get the similar effect desired above. I have no direct evidence, but i would think it reasonable that you could get similar effects (high glycogen/atp synthesis) later that 1 hour after workout. I would think the above mentioned studies (those exploited by muscletech et al.) were probably performed on high carb dieters. Also, i think that lower carb diets are much more suited for the prevention of type ii diabetes - (insulin resistance).
THe whole point here is that i think high gi carb post workout is not essential, but depends on your overall goals, diet, and strategy.

*Personal note* If you are taking postworkout dextrose you should vary the amounts of sugar according to the intensity fo your workout. If you did an intense day working on legs and some cardio then that will require more dextrose than an arms day. The consumption of ALA's may also help as they supposedly make insulin receptors for sensitive.

rvd
07-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Gonna bump this thread, anyone buy Dextrose locally lately? Safeway stopped carrying it.

Darkane
07-24-2008, 10:02 PM
I use gatorade powder. Sugar/Dex mix.

60G of that, and 60G whey post workout. I never eat high GI carbs any other time. Everything else is 50 and lower.

kutt3r
07-29-2008, 01:39 PM
www.trueprotien.com

:thumbsup: