PDA

View Full Version : And Fuji said it couldn't be done.

benyl
07-24-2004, 02:34 AM
Stock STi's can run sub 14 in Calgary...

Need I say more?

I can taste the 100mph barrier... time for some bolt-ons...

EK 2.0
07-24-2004, 02:43 AM
Good Job Benyl...amazing for first runs at the track...

gpomp
07-24-2004, 02:48 AM
1.9 60' :eek:

wtf did you race? a stock civic?

benyl
07-24-2004, 02:52 AM
They lined me up with a stock accord 4 banger... it even had a for sale sign on it... hahaha

EK 2.0
07-24-2004, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by gpomp

"That's the beauty of AWD"

googe
07-24-2004, 03:24 AM
about time someone shut fuji up ;)

wheres buddy running his mouth about putting his srt4 *cough* "against any impreza or lancer"?

this can be improved too, 1.6-1.7 60ft times are fairly common among those good at launching :D

ive heard it helps to put the dccd in full open...what did you set it to?

good job :thumbsup:

benyl
07-24-2004, 07:13 AM
Yeah, I had a 60ft run at 1.81, but somehow that translated to a 13.9@97.

DCCD was set to Auto. Every run except for the last one (where I feathered the clutch a lot more) I had quite a bit of wheel spin. Next time, I am going to try some different DCCD setting. From what I have read, Auto is supposed to be the best anyway.

rage2
07-24-2004, 08:31 AM
13.6! Sweet!

NickGT
07-24-2004, 09:32 AM
Wowzahs! :clap: Sweet ride man, congrats! :thumbsup:

habsfan
07-24-2004, 09:36 AM
next goal: 100mph :thumbsup:

Ekliptix
07-24-2004, 09:45 AM
Dude, that 60' is .006 seconds faster then my Mustang on Drag Radials!!!

If you and I ever race, it better be from a roll. :burnout:

I just calculated your 0-60mph time:

5.03 seconds.

http://www.teamnabr.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=8

1-Bar
07-24-2004, 09:52 AM
It was fun seeing your car at the track....Nice times Rookie :thumbsup:

turboMiata
07-24-2004, 10:06 AM
Very nice, benyl :thumbsup:

cujo_cjc
07-24-2004, 11:43 AM
wow..nice run man
btw..i love your car, that color is the best one for an sti! :thumbsup:

Fuji
07-24-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by googe
about time someone shut fuji up ;)

wheres buddy running his mouth about putting his srt4 *cough* "against any impreza or lancer"?

this can be improved too, 1.6-1.7 60ft times are fairly common among those good at launching :D

ive heard it helps to put the dccd in full open...what did you set it to?

good job :thumbsup:

I said it hasn't been done :)

Congrats Bernard, I dunno how you did it, but i have seen modded ones only hit 14.3

Googe: I haven't seen you run 13s with your 380+HP with bolt ons bolt on monster;)

rage2
07-24-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Fuji
Congrats Bernard, I dunno how you did it, but i have seen modded ones only hit 14.3
It's all about the launch. I watched his first 4 runs, he just got better and better off the line. On his 4th run there was still a small bog off the line, so I knew it'd run faster than the 13.8 that I saw. Helps that the air got colder later into the night, and a bit more slippery, good for AWD!

Fuji
07-24-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by rage2

It's all about the launch. I watched his first 4 runs, he just got better and better off the line. On his 4th run there was still a small bog off the line, so I knew it'd run faster than the 13.8 that I saw. Helps that the air got colder later into the night, and a bit more slippery, good for AWD!

Well I know that but i watched my frind launch it and it was good. he even had 1.9 60fts

RiceCake
07-24-2004, 01:44 PM
Damn Benyl:thumbsup: I need to work on launching... my 60 ft times are the shitz...:(

googe
07-24-2004, 02:32 PM

I said it hasn't been done :)

Googe: I haven't seen you run 13s with your 380+HP with bolt ons bolt on monster;)

You havent seen me run anything ;) I have no doubts I can run 12s though, at least in edmonton. Seen it done with less mods than I have.

380 is a *little* optimistic though, I'll have to steal HOKs hydra first :D That should put me around 400!

Well I know that but i watched my frind launch it and it was good. he even had 1.9 60fts

I told you like three times why he was so slow, ask mark and he will explain it :)

Btw, if ekliptix 5.03 0-60 sec time is accurate, and you go by Subaru's time of 4.6, you can get another .4 seconds off that? Thatd sit you at like 13.2 for that run if you had a perfect launch? Pretty good!

CRXguy
07-24-2004, 03:56 PM
good job benyl! :thumbsup:

rage2
07-24-2004, 04:01 PM
Btw, if ekliptix 5.03 0-60 sec time is accurate, and you go by Subaru's time of 4.6, you can get another .4 seconds off that? Thatd sit you at like 13.2 for that run if you had a perfect launch? Pretty good!
Don't forget we're at 3700ft elevation, so benyl may be getting pretty darn close to an ideal launch.

[email protected] translates to [email protected].

Not sure if the factors work for 0-60, if it doesn, 5.03 translates to 4.80s.

Fuji
07-24-2004, 04:14 PM

You havent seen me run anything ;) I have no doubts I can run 12s though, at least in edmonton. Seen it done with less mods than I have.

380 is a *little* optimistic though, I'll have to steal HOKs hydra first :D That should put me around 400!

I'll rent you my hydra hahaha

So whats the hold up get to race city and get going and prove me wrong even further. :burnout:

googe
07-24-2004, 04:18 PM

Don't forget we're at 3700ft elevation, so benyl may be getting pretty darn close to an ideal launch.

[email protected] translates to [email protected].

Not sure if the factors work for 0-60, if it doesn, 5.03 translates to 4.80s.

Good point, I guess the low 0-60s would of course require optimal power too. Even then, I dunno how accurate the conversion to 4.8 is, but if it were, you might even be able to get another 2 tenths?

In any case, awesome run, especially for first time out :D

Ekliptix
07-24-2004, 04:28 PM
I thought the wastegate kept boost at the same value relative to local air pressure. No more boost would be seen on the gauge at sea level I think.

max_boost
07-24-2004, 04:57 PM
Holy shit, looks like I bought the wrong car:rofl:

Congrats and it was your very first time at the track too!!!:eek: :thumbsup:

rage2
07-24-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
I thought the wastegate kept boost at the same value relative to local air pressure. No more boost would be seen on the gauge at sea level I think.
It totally depends on the car. Not many stock cars use relative pressure. AFAIK, STi and WRX both reference ambient for boost control.

googe
07-24-2004, 06:33 PM

It totally depends on the car. Not many stock cars use relative pressure. AFAIK, STi and WRX both reference ambient for boost control.

WRX and STI both use relative pressure as boost.

googe
07-24-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Holy shit, looks like I bought the wrong car:rofl:

Congrats and it was your very first time at the track too!!!:eek: :thumbsup:

Does that mean you got your S2000?

max_boost
07-24-2004, 08:01 PM

Does that mean you got your S2000? Not yet! The STi would sure make a great family car though:D

JCX
07-24-2004, 08:18 PM

He's out spending his extra $20,000 dollars. Let's not turn this into a nutswinging competition.

Good job Benyl, congrats. :clap: :thumbsup:

googe
07-24-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by JCX

He's out spending his extra $20,000 dollars. Let's not turn this into a nutswinging competition.

Haha, wasnt my intention. My point wasnt that the STI is better, just that he was soooo sure SRT4s could take STIs at the strip, and here we have about a 1 second difference ;) No hard feelings, all in good fun. I still think SRT4s are awesome.

JCX
07-24-2004, 08:31 PM

Haha, wasnt my intention. My point wasnt that the STI is better, just that he was soooo sure SRT4s could take STIs at the strip, and here we have about a 1 second difference ;) No hard feelings, all in good fun. I still think SRT4s are awesome.

No worries. We have a few guys breaking into the 13's now in the SRT-4's. It'll be nice to get the out on the same night for some head to head. ;)

How was the track last night for prep?

Benyl's car is a 2K5 right? Those are supposed to have a bit more power aren't they? Anyhoo, good time for him. :devil: :D

googe
07-24-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by JCX

No worries. We have a few guys breaking into the 13's now in the SRT-4's. It'll be nice to get the out on the same night for some head to head. ;)

Benyl's car is a 2K5 right? Those are supposed to have a bit more power aren't they? Anyhoo, good time for him. :devil: :D

Yeah, you dodge guys still have made more power on the stock block. STI record is currently 504whp. We are catching up! :D

2k5 has no more power, very minor changes. Supposed to crisp up handling a little bit, as well as some appearance/interior changes.

B18C
07-25-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by JCX

13's in Calgary?

ACX
07-25-2004, 10:38 AM
First off Benyl Sincerest congrats. Great times. Nice to see them running like I did when I was in California.

Speaking of which.

Originally posted by B18C

13's in Calgary?

It was at Bud park in edmonton.

13.6X
13.7X

"Buddy" trapped at 104, so if the 60 foot comes under 2.2X I hope there is room for more...

:rofl:

benyl
07-25-2004, 12:29 PM
Wow, thanks guys. Beginner's luck I suppose. AWD is a big help too!

2005 have a new front diff and a yaw sensor... but those are only good for AutoX.

Because of the close ratio gearbox in this car, to get to 60 mph, you have to shift twice. I think with a slightly taller second gear, 0-60 times would be much fast on this car... maybe low 4 second area.

To get me down the track faster and possibly over 100 mph, I need to learn to shift faster.

I had a 13.7s run with a faster 60 foot than this one. I might have been a bit lazy with one shift and thus the slower time.

I have to get used to the light tree, I alway felt like my reaction times were slow... almost like I waited for the green before mashing the pedal.

Also, I am going to try to 'not' go through the water and get a little less wheelspin at the start. Only thing is that I am afraid if I hook up too good, I will break something. Damn AWD! haha

googe
07-25-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Wow, thanks guys. Beginner's luck I suppose. AWD is a big help too!

2005 have a new front diff and a yaw sensor... but those are only good for AutoX.

Because of the close ratio gearbox in this car, to get to 60 mph, you have to shift twice. I think with a slightly taller second gear, 0-60 times would be much fast on this car... maybe low 4 second area.

To get me down the track faster and possibly over 100 mph, I need to learn to shift faster.

I had a 13.7s run with a faster 60 foot than this one. I might have been a bit lazy with one shift and thus the slower time.

I have to get used to the light tree, I alway felt like my reaction times were slow... almost like I waited for the green before mashing the pedal.

Also, I am going to try to 'not' go through the water and get a little less wheelspin at the start. Only thing is that I am afraid if I hook up too good, I will break something. Damn AWD! haha

Keep those tire pressures up! Alot of people have been snapping rear axles by softening them a bit.

Yeah, the STI's gearing really foils all the common power benchmarks. 0-60 is botched by the rev limiter of 2nd gear at 57mph, and the 1/4 mile has the rev limiter in 4th gear coming in near the end of the track.

BTW, I never found out the point of the new yaw sensor. It doesnt have yaw control still, so does it serve a purpose?

benyl
07-25-2004, 12:59 PM
Aparently it is the difference between EBD and sport EBD.

With the '04, if you are in a corner, EBD with generally cross link the brakes front to rear. If you are in a corner braking hard, this will have the tendancy to straighten you out. With sport EBD and the yaw sensor in the '05, the brake with link on the same side. This will help you maintain or even tighten the in the corner as you are braking hard.

Ben
07-25-2004, 01:12 PM
Thats sick!

Awesome run man! So thats wlat it looks like when a car exactly 2 seconds faster than your pulls away from ya at a light :nut:

Ashkente
07-25-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by gpomp

Stock 90 Accord (pretty much, CAI, new springs/shocks)

rage2
07-29-2004, 12:22 AM
WRX and STI both use relative pressure as boost.
hehe noticed my post I made a typo... I said relative and ambient, I meant relative and absolute :).

Anyways, did some research, and it seems the STi does reference boost relative to ambient pressure. It uses MAF for air metering, which means you can turn up the boost by ~2psi to get sea level performance... well, almost sea level performance... sea level cars will still spool up quicker and have more low end torque, shouldn't matter on the drag strip if you can launch good.

2000impreza
07-29-2004, 12:28 AM
sti uses both MAF and MAP. with everything left untouched except raising the boost 2psi, it may throw the ecu settings off.

googe
07-29-2004, 12:42 AM

hehe noticed my post I made a typo... I said relative and ambient, I meant relative and absolute :).

Anyways, did some research, and it seems the STi does reference boost relative to ambient pressure. It uses MAF for air metering, which means you can turn up the boost by ~2psi to get sea level performance... well, almost sea level performance... sea level cars will still spool up quicker and have more low end torque, shouldn't matter on the drag strip if you can launch good.

yeah i was wondering why you said that, i edited that post like 3 times trying to figure out wtf you meant and explain it :)

you should be able to get close to sea level performance as you say (although we have unfavorable humidity levels up here on most days, so have to watch that too) by doing that, but in addition to quicker spool up and more torque, youll also be making the turbo work harder, pushing it farther out of its optimal efficiency range.

another thing is that the STI wont hit full boost in the first few gears, so by adding another 2 psi, its going to be even longer before you hit full boost. that would be the big thing preventing you from simply turning it up to compensate i think.

googe
07-29-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
sti uses both MAF and MAP. with everything left untouched except raising the boost 2psi, it may throw the ecu settings off.

the sti doesnt use speed density at all, i believe the map sensor is just used for determining boost, as the ecu retains values for manifold absolute pressure and manifold relative pressure. relative pressure is obtained by using the value returned by the map sensor. so, turning up the boost by 2 psi should be fine.

benyl
07-29-2004, 01:25 AM
Ok, so which boost controller shall I get?

rage2
07-29-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
At our elevation, it'll think the car's at sea level by adding 2-3psi.