PDA

View Full Version : Diploma's Back!

A_3
07-24-2004, 08:20 AM
Got Diploma marks back yesterday! What did everyone think, I am quite pleased with my results! Wondering how everyone else did as well, i think we might have got off easy this semester. Also got my official U of C acceptance, starting to look forward to next year... we'll see what I say about that two months from now :D .

pinoyhero
07-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Hey good luck, have you chosen a major yet?

403Gemini
07-24-2004, 11:56 AM
good job bud! :D

kiwi
07-24-2004, 12:07 PM
Congratulations! Despite all the assignments, psycho profs, & frequent all nighters, I think you'll enjoy university! You might miss the old high school days too, & you'll eventually lose contact w/ most of the people from HS, but you'll make tons of new friends :thumbsup:
Good luck & have fun =)

cujo_cjc
07-24-2004, 02:28 PM
my diploma marks were pretty good actually
i did pretty good in chem and ended up with a 90
and then my english killed my mark and dropped it down..but i always think english is tough for exams and ended up with 81

but when did you get your official acceptance for u of c?
i got that scholars advantage for u of c and have pretty much maintained my marks to the same degree
can we check through infonet?

A_3
07-24-2004, 02:35 PM
^Yeah I got early acceptance as well, my marks actually went up from what I said they were at which is a bonus. I got two peices of mail yesterday, one from gov with diploma marks and one from U of C giving the big congrats.

(I didn't find the english too hard, pulled an 88% out on it, 47/50 on the written :D )

Haven't chosen a major yet, going into communications and culture (so pretty much general) because I have NO IDEA what i'm going to end up making a career out of.

cujo_cjc
07-24-2004, 03:18 PM
i'm trying to get into the haskayne school of business

and the course that i'm using for entrance to that program are

math 30 - 94%
math 31 - 95%
chem 30 - 90%
physics 30 - 90%
english 30 - 81%

as you can see..english is gonna be my sore spot :banghead:

do you think i'll have a high enough average to get into business tho? :dunno:

Gainsbarre
07-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by cujo_cjc
i'm trying to get into the haskayne school of business

and the course that i'm using for entrance to that program are

math 30 - 94%
math 31 - 95%
chem 30 - 90%
physics 30 - 90%
english 30 - 81%

as you can see..english is gonna be my sore spot :banghead:

do you think i'll have a high enough average to get into business tho? :dunno:

Actually, with grades like that, you should apply for engineering instead. You'll probably be bored with Haskayne, as the courses (not even the infamous ACCT 317 or FNCE 317) aren't challenging at all. However, there's no doubt that you'll get into the HSB with grades like that...after all, this isn't the Queen's School of Business.

turbo_equiped
07-24-2004, 04:24 PM
I got mine too. Not too good, not too bad. But i havent gotten any "for sure" letter from any university. Like it was conditional till now, no "100%" yet. I should probably be expecting that soon right? Cauz my marks only went up. So the conditonal universities whould be sending the 100% thing?

cujo_cjc
07-24-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre

Actually, with grades like that, you should apply for engineering instead. You'll probably be bored with Haskayne, as the courses (not even the infamous ACCT 317 or FNCE 317) aren't challenging at all. However, there's no doubt that you'll get into the HSB with grades like that...after all, this isn't the Queen's School of Business.

Yea I thought really hard about what I would really enjoy taking more. And ended up putting engineering as my second option. I didn't really feel I would enjoy that course as my dad had taken it before and told me I probably wouldn't like it that much either.

After business tho I plan on either getting an MBA or getting a degree in law also

turbo_equiped
07-24-2004, 04:35 PM
I am getting into Arts and Sciences and taking some realted courses going into Law as well.

BebeAphrodite
07-24-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by A_3
^Yeah I got early acceptance as well, my marks actually went up from what I said they were at which is a bonus. I got two peices of mail yesterday, one from gov with diploma marks and one from U of C giving the big congrats.

(I didn't find the english too hard, pulled an 88% out on it, 47/50 on the written :D )

Haven't chosen a major yet, going into communications and culture (so pretty much general) because I have NO IDEA what i'm going to end up making a career out of.

I'm looking at ur 88% and sorta taking it as a reflection of some of ur other marks
if you've got marks like that don't get into General. It's probably more useless than Social Science and SS is useless. Choose something more specific.

turbo_equiped
07-24-2004, 05:17 PM
^^yea, what she said. If i was you man i would go into medicine. But again if you arent into it, i guess it doesnt matter. Should do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

A_3
07-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Yeah i thought about them all, I have marks for them, that's not a problem (got a 91% on social exam as well :) ) But I honestly don't know what I want to go into. There are so many things that interest me, so I went into general and took classes that deal with each thing i'm interested in. This year is a sorting process for me. Thanks for the advice though, i'll think on it :thumbsup:

cujo_cjc
07-24-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by A_3
Yeah i thought about them all, I have marks for them, that's not a problem (got a 91% on social exam as well :) ) But I honestly don't know what I want to go into. There are so many things that interest me, so I went into general and took classes that deal with each thing i'm interested in. This year is a sorting process for me. Thanks for the advice though, i'll think on it :thumbsup:

yea i was pretty much in the same boat as you
it actually took me a couple months to narrow my choices down
i asked family members what they did and i also asked some of my dad's co-workers what they did and what they thought my best option was

cuz i kno i could probably get into most programs with my marks its just a matter of figuring out what i would like more i guess

BebeAphrodite
07-25-2004, 12:24 AM
Seriously.. if you're going to piss away a year doing nothing in general studies then take a year off...
I've got two bull shit degrees I completely regret doing. I should have gone into another category. I'm basically done my economics degree and I'm still doing my history degree.
What good are these degrees?? Not good at all. I can't do crap with them.
EVERY friend I have seen in General studies have never used their degree and they all regret it. I regret my Social Science degrees but at least the economics is more specific than the general so there is more that I can do with it.
General studies has things such as international relations and communications - what good will that do? Haskayne has more specific courses that can actually be applied to more than anything in general.
I urge you NOT to proceed in general.. take a year off if that's the case and if you choose to go into Haskayne later the GPA required in uni is wayyy higher than it is to enter Haskayne right out a high school.
A 80% and above in high school is a joke and can be accomplished sleeping the classes away.
Most of the time you have to WORK for a B in uni...
Use your HS marks while you can and get into something useful.
Don't be like all those people in General studies/Social Sciences who are there because they had no idea what they wanted to do. It's too late for those who may now know what to do but can't get into the faculty.
I'm serious.. I hope you heed my words and if your average is good enough at least specialize in SOMETHING! Because a whole lot of everything (as general is set up to be) is a whole lot of nothing...
Gets you nowhere.
Took me and friends thousands to figure that out.

D'z Nutz
07-25-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by cujo_cjc
can we check through infonet?

Yeah, you can check Infonet on the status of your application, if you haven't already received notice from them yet. It's actually a very good idea to if you're expecting notice from them. I actually found out I was accepted into U of C through Infonet before I got anything in the mail. For some reason, the mail was getting to me slow and I didn't receive anything in the mail until a couple days after I found out on Infonet. If I recall correctly, if I had just waited for the notice to arrive in the mail, I would've missed the time reserved for me to register for my classes. Fortunately all my friends were getting letters and I got paranoid and was constantly logging into Infonet. So check Infonet, and check it frequently (usually once in the morning and once in the afternoon would be fine). Especially now, since this seems to be the time that the U of C is responding to applications.

CuteAsianAngel makes a good point. Going into General Studies can sometimes be a bad idea. How well you do in high school is a very poor indication of how well you'll do in University. I know tons of people who were 90% average students throughout high school that ended up on academic probation after their first year! Whereas some people (like myself included) drifted through highschool with as little effort as possible do much better in post secondary. Of course, this isn't to say everyone will be like that, but I'm just making a point how well you do in high school doesn't mean anything. Worse thing that could happen by going into General Studies is you could get some really shitty marks before deciding what faculty you go into. As soon as you getting some post secondary marks, that's what they start counting towards your admission into faculty. You'll have much better luck getting into faculty with your high school marks than your post secondary.

Also, some good advice I would give: if your faculty doesn't plan your schedule for you, make your schedule ahead of time!!!! I cannot stress this enough. In fact, make 2 or 3 backup schedules just in case you first choice doesn't work out. You don't have time to make one up on the fly, especially if any of the courses you take are popular ones. I know lots of friends who pretty much decide what sections they want to take the day they're supposed to be registering and quite often they end up with a shitty schedule all semester because they took too long trying to make one up and the classes ended up filling up. Plan a schedule for both semesters too. And when they say your time to register is at certain time, log in at that time, even if it's 8:00am. You'd be surprised at how quickly some of these classes fill up. A class I wanted to take was full by the time my turn to register... and I was scheduled to register on the second day!

sabad66
07-25-2004, 01:32 AM
got mine back and i was sooo mad. i got like 63 on the physics 30! so my final mark ended up being 70%. should i rewrite the exam?

KELSTAR
07-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
Seriously.. if you're going to piss away a year doing nothing in general studies then take a year off...
I've got two bull shit degrees I completely regret doing. I should have gone into another category. I'm basically done my economics degree and I'm still doing my history degree.
What good are these degrees?? Not good at all. I can't do crap with them.
EVERY friend I have seen in General studies have never used their degree and they all regret it. I regret my Social Science degrees but at least the economics is more specific than the general so there is more that I can do with it.
General studies has things such as international relations and communications - what good will that do? Haskayne has more specific courses that can actually be applied to more than anything in general.
I urge you NOT to proceed in general.. take a year off if that's the case and if you choose to go into Haskayne later the GPA required in uni is wayyy higher than it is to enter Haskayne right out a high school.
A 80% and above in high school is a joke and can be accomplished sleeping the classes away.
Most of the time you have to WORK for a B in uni...
Use your HS marks while you can and get into something useful.
Don't be like all those people in General studies/Social Sciences who are there because they had no idea what they wanted to do. It's too late for those who may now know what to do but can't get into the faculty.
I'm serious.. I hope you heed my words and if your average is good enough at least specialize in SOMETHING! Because a whole lot of everything (as general is set up to be) is a whole lot of nothing...
Gets you nowhere.
Took me and friends thousands to figure that out.

I totally disagree with the taking a year off! if you are wanting to go to school, go to school and seriously take some general classes! you can't figure out what you want to do by sitting at home or working in some store! you need to take a few classes and see what you are interested in! I agree with Cute Asian Angel about the wasting money and what not, but if you even take 3 classes in the first semester, you will maintain your full time student status, get a higher priority for registering in your second year and will have completed some options. NO matter what degree you take, you will likely need some SS or humanities options. I don't really think that a general degree is a good way to go, but for the first year just a random sort of classes might be the best way. Tons of people switch their majors after the first or second year, but the classes they took were not a complete waste of time. ELECTIVES are good to have completed so you can concentrate on core classes!

I am not trying to start a fight! I just no way too many people who took a year off (ended up being 3 and still not going back, cause they don't know what they want to do) or people who have switched majors and love their courses now because they played around a bit, took some random courses and fell into a faculty they actually liked!

cujo_cjc
07-27-2004, 12:08 PM
on a side note
i won a lottery system at u of c for the chance to purchase a parking pass at the artparkade :clap:

Gondi Stylez
07-28-2004, 03:07 AM
redid my math 30! got 70! im happy! :thumbsup: now im ready for calc! :thumbsdow hahaha! o well!

but for all u fresh out of HS.. uni is sweet but the work load is crazy and at the end of the day its YOU who will set your life, not ur teachers/parents etc.! now its time to do shit for yourselves w/o any handholding! although that is a general comment cuz there are some HSers who didnt have that!

huss
07-30-2004, 05:22 PM
yup I was happy

Math 30 97
Math 31 94
English 30 80
Physics 30 91
Social 30 83
Chem 30 85

Goin ta Waterloo baby :D
congrats to u all!! and good luck