PDA

View Full Version : fuel management

civic_rida
07-24-2004, 01:08 PM
I think im gonna try to turbo the celica.

The first area of concern is fuel.

Im not gonna boost anymore than 6psi . Some guys on celica boards say you can get away with stock injectors and fuel pump.

What do you guys think of greddy e-manage?

rage2
07-24-2004, 02:18 PM
E-manage is not a fully tunable solution. It's a piggyback like the S-AFC. You'll have to work around ANY limitations of the stock ECU, such as error codes if MAP/MAF signal is too low/high, limp home modes, etc.

Get a real EMS for it, such us the Hydra EMS if you wanna go turbo reliably.

http://www.hydra-ems.com/

civic_rida
07-24-2004, 02:37 PM
is that 1350 canadian or u.s.

2000impreza
07-24-2004, 03:26 PM
hydra is in USD. you still need a few additional sensors and solenoids to make full use of the hydra.. your looking at about $1600-1700US siad and done.

civic_rida
07-24-2004, 03:33 PM
hahah way to much . Dont got that kinda funds.

rage2
07-24-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida
hahah way to much . Dont got that kinda funds.
Then don't turbo it. I'm not being sarcastic either.

Turboing a non turbo factory car using piggyback stuff is stupid. Sooner or later, something will break because the fuel/timing parameters under boost can not be perfected with piggyback stuff.

If you don't have that kinda funds, stick with show parts, they don't break things. I'm sure a new motor will cost more than what Hydra-EMS will cost you.

civic_rida
07-24-2004, 09:52 PM
Hydra-EMS is kinda expensive. I rather get the apexi pfc cheaper and its standalone too.

rage2
07-24-2004, 10:32 PM
Apex-i PFC will work fine. It's a few hundred bucks cheaper. Make sure u get one that's unlocked... some of them are locked and can only change parameters within a small window.

civic_rida
07-24-2004, 10:39 PM
i was gonna get a pfc cause of the gains people with ceilca's are gettin all motor with this mod.

Do you need a datalogit to tune it?

Also some come with base maps

rage2
07-24-2004, 10:48 PM
It comes with a handheld tuner for tuning. No laptop required. Make sure you get the english version though haha, programming in Japanese ain't easy. And the unlocked version that allows full tuning of everything.

As for people getting big gains, like any other standalone, being able to tune your car to the edge (stock tunes or chips designed for the masses are far from ideal), you'll make more power safely.

civic_rida
07-25-2004, 12:05 AM
lets just say stock celicas at sea level make 154whp and these cars are pushin low 180s with intake exhaust and pfc.

Ichigo
07-25-2004, 12:26 AM
sorry to jump into this.. But what about a car that's already turboed? After you upgrade the turbo and injectors would you reccomend to get a standalone or a reprogram your ecu?

rage2
07-25-2004, 01:06 AM
depends on the car...

Any OBD1 honda can get a reprogram the ECU... which really becomes as functional as a standalone.

IMO, the first mod should be ECU/standalone before doing anything. I'm a huge believer in having full control of my engine tune.

WGR4Pussies
07-25-2004, 05:17 AM
some one should take obd1 obd0 honda ecus, and market them as a standalone for other cars, i think i might do that. o shit, better delete this before anyone reads it.

tsi_neal
07-25-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Ichigo
sorry to jump into this.. But what about a car that's already turboed? After you upgrade the turbo and injectors would you reccomend to get a standalone or a reprogram your ecu?

When youre starting out with a factory turbo'd car a piggyback it more functional than on a custom turbo setup as the ECU already has boost maps and full functionality for a turbo.
is it as good? hells no, but it can get you by. Personally id look to get a chip burned with your injector size programmed in and then the piggyback is only making very minor corrections.

Alpine Autowerks
07-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by tsi_neal
When youre starting out with a factory turbo'd car a piggyback it more functional than on a custom turbo setup as the ECU already has boost maps and full functionality for a turbo.

stock efi is a emmision control device meant to:
1) feed the catalysts with an ideal A/F ratio for the cats NOT the engine !
2) keep the cats from overheating
3) get the cats lit as fast as possible.
4) minimize NOX - which is harder to reduce than it is to oxidize HC + CO
5) provide some degree of drivability & economy and lower warranty claims while doing 1-4

a piggyback is a workaround solution when stock EFI has the driver as a tertiary concern.