PDA

View Full Version : Golf Clubs

VanDriver
07-25-2004, 01:17 AM
I'm not sure if this question goes into this forum but here goes.
Since it's summer time and I have nothing better to do with my time, I wanted to take up some golfing. May be boring to watch but gets fresh air when played. better then jus sitting on my ass at home. So my question is, since iam new to golf what brand of clubs are good quality and good bang for the buck. also, something that i can play with on the greens without the high class ppls pointing and laughing ahhaha so any info. would help.

itsnotaDUB
07-25-2004, 11:12 AM
dont cheap out on clubs at all, to me clubs are like tools get the good ones now and learn with them it will be easyer in the long run. but it really is all preferance. go to a store and just talk to a guy there

itsalebaron
07-25-2004, 11:27 AM
Dont worry about brand so much .. people aren't going to laugh at you. Go to golf town and hit some balls with different irons, you will soon see you definately do NOT need a $1400 set (don't go the other end of the spectrum either and get a Canadian Tire set!). I would suggest Wilson Fat shafts, VERY easy to hit, and VERY forgiving .. and they are pretty cheap. As far as woods go its pretty much a personal preference try out a bunch in your price range and see what feels the best!!!

Be patient and you will be hooked after a few days out and some practice.:thumbsup:

itsalebaron
07-25-2004, 11:28 AM
opps I just meant to edit my post above

eckostyle
07-25-2004, 02:18 PM
the wilsons are a great deal... i recently bought some callaway x14's for only 500 bucks ... keep those clubs in mind as well ... go to golf town or nevada bobs and ask to try out some clubs. definately spend between 200 to 500 if u wanna stick with golf. good luck !

Phats
07-25-2004, 02:23 PM
it really depends on what feels good in your hands, for a newbie I would suggest looking around at some used golf places. That way you won't spend a fortune and you can still get some pretty good clubs. Remember, there is no best brand or type, different clubs work better or worse for different people so try a bunch out.

hondarunner
07-25-2004, 02:27 PM
Now dont laugh at me but i got my set of clubs from sears for 200 bux. They are spalding selects and i dont think i have actually hit a better feeling club. The problem with golf is that everybody's swing is different making it difficult to find out whats best.
But like everybody above me said, just go and try out a whole bunch of clubs.

dezmarez
07-25-2004, 05:46 PM
hippo clubs r good and r cheap....and no one has heard of them...john daly uses them :D:D and they are like 200 bucks for an iron set

Wildcat
07-25-2004, 05:55 PM
your just starting man so dont go all out, golf is a frustrating game, alot of ppl just say "to hell with it" :D . I golf because of its benefits as a buisness tool in the future, its good to keep up a good golf game to entertain clients.

A_3
07-25-2004, 05:55 PM
Don't make any rash decisions. The sales people at Nevada Bob's and Golf Town don't know shit. All they want to do is sell you on a set of clubs as quickly as possible. Do your research, find out what's good and what suits you. I would suggest taking one or two lessons at any golf course across the city. Dig the golf pro's mind for any information about clubs. He may be a little bias about which company to choose (probably lightly sponsored by some rep or another). My suggestion to you is go used. Buy a good set of clubs that may be a couple years old. Make sure you go cavity back as oppose to a forged/blade (more of a players club) club. Look at a set of 2-3 year old Callaway Big Bertha's, Clevland tour actions, or even some Adams clubs. There are of course many many others. See if a golf course will sell you a set of there rentals for a bargain basement price at the end of the season. Try ebay and Mcowens for clubs and just do your research Nevada Bob's and Golf Town are good places to buy clubs but make sure you know what you are getting into. Good luck and enjoy the game, once you get over the initial bumps it's a hell of a time. :thumbsup:

VanDriver
07-25-2004, 08:04 PM
hey thanks for everyones 2cents. i guess ill go look around and try a few and see what i like. maybe start watching the golf channel more on 47, go to the mini golf putting range and go to the driving range b4 i high the greens hahaha thanks

Pacman
07-25-2004, 08:49 PM
I agree with getting a set of used, brand name clubs....it's the best bang for your buck!!

having said that, Golf town has the Callaway X-14 on sale for $599, and Adams Tight Lies GT irons for $299. Those are basically "used" prices for new clubs.

VanDriver
07-26-2004, 02:46 PM
hey thanks paceman,
well i went to just the nearest golf center to me and it was nevada bobs jus to test out some clubs. I notice i like the callaways that you talking about. but there the callaway x-14 where selling for $1400 for set and bag. there was also a guy in the bargainfinder that selling that set for roughly around the same price. so at golf town what dose the $599 set include?

Thanks everyone

Pacman
07-26-2004, 04:44 PM
I just got home from Golf Town, as I was picking up some balls.

THey have the Callaway Irons for $599.....just the irons, no bag or anythingthing else thrown in. They only have 2 or 3 sets left.
It's just a standard 8 piece set (3-pw). I think the regular price on them is around $1100 or so.

I guess the advantage of getting them from golf town instead of from the bargain finder, is that you will get a full warranty, and be able to choose between the stiff or regular flex shaft.

VanDriver
07-27-2004, 04:05 PM
i was going to crappy tires for some air filters and decided to go to the golf section. I know there stuff dosent come close to compare to stuff at golf town or nevada's or any other golf specailty stores out there. but since this is prob jus a summer hobby i saw i set at crap tires for 269.99.
Link:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374303516386&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443211657&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395348027&bmUID=1090965558499&assortment=primary

tell me what you guys think. knowing myself i dont usaully stick to one hobby for to long so i thought i spend the minimum i can before they just end up in the basement. just like my 1800 go-kart and my 1100 hpi r/c.

Pacman
07-27-2004, 04:30 PM
You are probably better off picking up this set of Rams from SportChek for $250. Comes with everying including a stand bag

It comes with everything you will need. A couple of my buddies bought these sets to learn with, and it's actually not too bad.

http://www.sportchek.ca/product_description.jhtml?id=prod2810095&fromSpecificCategory=true

DUBBED
07-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by VanDriver
also, something that i can play with on the greens without the high class ppls pointing and laughing ahhaha so any info. would help.

I'm more likely to point and laugh at a beginner with a nice set than a beginner with a bad set.

Go on Ebay and buy a six iron, then go get a lesson and practice with that six iron. When you're ready for a set of clubs buy what you think is best for you. If you want to get real good, buy a set of clubs with a smaller face. Then you'll have to learn to hit a club which is harder to hit well and will improve faster. If you just plan on playing for shits and giggles buy a set of Nike Slingshots and be a bad golfer for the rest of your life.

DUBBED
07-27-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by hondarunner
Now dont laugh at me but i got my set of clubs from sears for 200 bux. They are spalding selects and i dont think i have actually hit a better feeling club.

Obviously you've never hit the sweet spot on a forged blade, or you're just looking for the wrong type of feel.

Pacman
07-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED

I'm more likely to point and laugh at a beginner with a nice set than a beginner with a bad set.

Go on Ebay and buy a six iron, then go get a lesson and practice with that six iron. When you're ready for a set of clubs buy what you think is best for you. If you want to get real good, buy a set of clubs with a smaller face. Then you'll have to learn to hit a club which is harder to hit well and will improve faster. If you just plan on playing for shits and giggles buy a set of Nike Slingshots and be a bad golfer for the rest of your life.

Good Advice......and screw E-Bay...I have a Ping I3 6 iron sitting in my basement that you can have for free. PM me if you want it.

VanDriver
07-27-2004, 08:00 PM
wow everyone has such great opinions. thanks for all. and thanks Pacman for the wonderful offer but ill pass.

maybe ill get something cheap. i live on a 4 acre lot and my parents told me to get out and do something so i thought about golf. i brought 1000 used golf balls at a garage sale for cheap so i thought i'll have some fun with it.

hahaha maybe ill just get a driver and test my driving skills and see how far i can get the thing before pulling my back muscles.

thanks but if anyone else knows any other club sets for
$0-$450 with bag and all that stuff then i would greatly appreciate if you'll post a link.

Thanks to everyone.

VanDriver
07-29-2004, 09:33 PM
i had another question that I wanted to find out. each driver i see has a cc value. now is the higher the cc value on the driver better or is it just personal pref?
what does the cc value mean? say for example a 315cc compare to a 410cc?

thanks any comments will help

Pacman
07-29-2004, 09:52 PM
cc is the volume of the head.

The trend these days is to get one that's as big as possible. I think most of them are in the 440 to 460cc range these days....and made of titanium.

I still prefer to use my Callaway Steelhead III metal driver, which is only 250cc's (puny by todays standards)

DUBBED
07-30-2004, 10:18 PM
^^^ I read an article that proved drivers over 330cc's reduce the player's ability to create club head speed.

dezmarez
07-31-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Pacman
You are probably better off picking up this set of Rams from SportChek for $250. Comes with everying including a stand bag

It comes with everything you will need. A couple of my buddies bought these sets to learn with, and it's actually not too bad.

http://www.sportchek.ca/product_description.jhtml?id=prod2810095&fromSpecificCategory=true

that is a good idea
that set is awesome