PDA

View Full Version : favourite race car driver

hyperwhite
07-25-2004, 05:40 PM
I was just wondering who everyones favourite driver is. Mine is either Ron Fellows or Jacques Villeneuve

dezmarez
07-25-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by hyperwhite
I was just wondering who everyones favourite driver is. Mine is either Ron Fellows or Jacques Villeneuve

YAAYYY canadian drivers haha
umm favourite would have to be.......jeff gordan haha or tony stewart

1badPT
07-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Villeneuve, Schumacher(as a driver, off track he's an ass), or Hakkinen

RSRT-4
07-25-2004, 05:58 PM
villienuve (sp) , Dale JR , Tony stewar, Ron Fellows Montoya

hjr
07-25-2004, 09:51 PM
Ari Vatanen,
http://verano-bih.com/sport/slike/g205_1.jpg

markko martin
http://www.vueltaxvuelta.com/fotos/ar/2004/3/13/Markko-Martin.jpg

jackie stewart,
http://www.f1-grandprix.com/photos/stewart_72.jpg

Hiroshi Masuoka
http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,156344,00.jpg

Gonthro
07-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Martin

EK 2.0
07-25-2004, 10:39 PM
Mika Hakkinen, Colin McCrae, Alex Zanardi, Alain Prost...

come to think of it, all my fave drivers have been in BRUTAL crashes and come back to drive...

I am sorry to any NASCAR, or BUSCH fans, but I dont like any of the drivers from those series...

1badPT
07-25-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
I am sorry to any NASCAR, or BUSCH fans, but I dont like any of the drivers from those series...

Hard to be awe struck about a driver who's thought process goes something like:

Turn left
Speed up
Slow Down
Turn left
Speed up

Rinse and repeat ad nauseum. :whipped: :whipped: :bullshit:

Gonthro
07-26-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by 1badPT

Hard to be awe struck about a driver who's thought process goes something like:

Turn left
Speed up
Slow Down
Turn left
Speed up

Rinse and repeat ad nauseum. :whipped: :whipped: :bullshit:

another one that is clueless to the amount of work and thinking is involved in racing on the oval, yet you probably love drag racing.

and FYI nascar is not only oval racing, they have some roadcourse tracks too.

fast95pony
07-26-2004, 08:19 AM
Mine are :

Greg Moore , R.I.P. :(

Markko Martin

Boris Said

J. Villeneuve

JustinL
07-26-2004, 09:16 AM
I'm surprised how many Villeneuve fans there are! The guy is a bad driver.

Myself, I'm a fan of M. Shumacher and Alain Prost.

Justin

hyperwhite
07-26-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by JustinL
I'm surprised how many Villeneuve fans there are! The guy is a bad driver.

Myself, I'm a fan of M. Shumacher and Alain Prost.

Justin

ya villeneuve sucks so much. i mean come on, anyone can win an F1 championship right :rolleyes:

i'm also a big jenson button and alex tagliani fan

rage2
07-26-2004, 09:56 AM
Gilles Villeneuve
Ayrton Senna da Silva

JustinL
07-26-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by hyperwhite

ya villeneuve sucks so much. i mean come on, anyone can win an F1 championship right :rolleyes:

i'm also a big jenson button and alex tagliani fan

I don't dispute the fact that he was good for 2 seasons... but he hasn't won a race since then. In fact he has only been on the podium 3 times since winning the championship (1997). He's also not even racing this year. It's fine for people to be fans, I'm just not one of them.

I will admit that he hasn't really been given a chance to shine because he's been driving JUNK since his championship.

rage2
07-26-2004, 10:27 AM
I don't dispute the fact that he was good for 2 seasons... but he hasn't won a race since then. In fact he has only been on the podium 3 times since winning the championship (1997). He's also not even racing this year. It's fine for people to be fans, I'm just not one of them.

I will admit that he hasn't really been given a chance to shine because he's been driving JUNK since his championship.
Being able to podium in that old BAR was enough to be a pretty darn good driver! :rofl:.

It's too bad he didn't get a contract extension with BAR this year. Imagine him in a competitive car. Rumors of Jacques going to Williams next year will be interesting. I'd like to see our only Canadian F1 driver (even tho he lives in Monaco and doesn't really care for Canada much) do well.

JustinL
07-26-2004, 10:52 AM
I wish I could be a fan of Jacques... but it's hard to cheer for someone who never finishes, and when he does finish it's at the back of the pack. Like you said Rage, he doesn't even live in Canada anymore, yet he races under our flag.

He's also pulled some exceptionally boneheaded moves that just stick with me. Like trying to pass three cars on the inside of a braking zone and ending up just plowing the other car off the track (and incidently killing a track Marshall)

1badPT
07-26-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Gonthro

another one that is clueless to the amount of work and thinking is involved in racing on the oval, yet you probably love drag racing.

and FYI nascar is not only oval racing, they have some roadcourse tracks too.
Don't take me so seriously :nut:

I don't like watching Nascar though because regardless of how much is involved, all you get to see is Turn left, speed up, slow down :tongue: The road courses are a bit more interesting to me but why watch a sport that has interesting as the exception instead of the norm?

EK 2.0
07-26-2004, 11:15 AM
To me personally a driver not only has to be great in the car...but off the track as well...If they are great to interview, and towards fans, they that is to me what makes a great driver...Being a fan of Auto Racing for as long as I can remember...You constantly see post race interview where some drivers place themselves above all others in the room...*cough* Schuey *cough*...I had the great oppurtunity of metting Alex Zanardi (my fave driver in the world BTW) before Indy in Van a few years back, and to this day, I am yet to have a cooler expirience with a celebrity...

He was humble, so down to earth, and willing to take the time out for the people who support him...he even gave me a Barilla hat and had himself and Jimmy Vasser sign it...i was totally blown away...

KoukiS14
07-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Keiichi Tsuchiya is my favorite driver. Even though he has retired from professional racing. He's done it all, from JGTC to Le Mans to Drifting.

Team_Mclaren
07-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Mika Hakkinen
Ayrton Senna

EK 2.0
07-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
Mika Hakkinen

as you have Kimi in your sig?...tsk, tsk, tsk...just kidding...

Team_Mclaren
07-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

as you have Kimi in your sig?...tsk, tsk, tsk...just kidding...

his not great enough to be my favourite race car driver yet, wait till he wins the champ!!

well, u can say that his my favourite "currectly active" race car driver!!:thumbsup:

-- Kimi Raikkonen

Skylinelover
07-26-2004, 02:06 PM
Dale JR and Jeff Gordon

hjr
07-26-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Skylinelover
Dale JR and Jeff Gordon haha, nice. your a skyline lover yet you dont bother with the jgtc? why isnt your name "tube frame'd v8 engin'd exactly the same'd but for the stickers'd lover"

EK 2.0
07-26-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Skylinelover
Dale JR and Jeff Gordon

Originally posted by hjr
haha, nice. your a skyline lover yet you dont bother with the jgtc? why isnt your name "tube frame'd v8 engin'd exactly the same'd but for the stickers'd lover"

well he DOES live in Okotoks...:rofl:

bart
07-26-2004, 02:19 PM
colin mcrae, because he goes all out, and if works out, he wins, if it doesnt, ooooooooo time for a new car. lol

Gonthro
07-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by hjr
haha, nice. your a skyline lover yet you dont bother with the jgtc? why isnt your name "tube frame'd v8 engin'd exactly the same'd but for the stickers'd lover"

you dont like real racing??

racing has nothing to do with the car, its about the drivers ability, idealy in a racing class all cars should be identical, that is the true test of driving ability, anybody can drive a fast car, its HOW you drive it that matters.

hjr
07-26-2004, 02:34 PM
haha, im bugging him for posting 2 nascar stars. thats all. everyone can like who they want to like. take a crack at my picks. im sure there is something about driving through a desert at high speed for weeks that is lame.

as for nascar, i dont like it. i never said i dont like real racing, thats why im interested in rally and f1 and le mans and speed touring and dakar and cart and dtm and jgtc and pikes peak and etc etc etc. just cause i dont have the same interests as you doesnt make me wrong, or you for that matter. i just dont like circle track racing (of any kind, be it nascar to sprint. its not for me)

finally, pro racing has everything to do with the car, i dont know where you got the idea that it didnt! a great driver can make up for a lesser machine (jackie stewart w/ the tyrell) but it only goes so far. look at Jacques with bar. he was a great driver but the car sucked and it may have killed his career. even in nascar, the suspension and engine tuning that the teams do make worlds of difference. it is a misconception that nascar cars are all the same. technically the parts are, but the setups never are identical. and its even more important in nascar because hundreths of a second count in qualifying, and there is very little manuvering of the car relative to other motorsports, so set up needs to be optimised more so than dakar or rally or le mans.

iceburns288
07-26-2004, 02:38 PM
I love JGTC... can't wait to watch my first race when it comes. Are there any satellite channels that you think would cover it in America?

EK 2.0
07-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Speed for sure will

Z_Fan
07-26-2004, 02:52 PM
I met Jimmy Vasser and Greg Moore in Laguna Seca in 1997. (As well as many other drivers). But Moore and Vasser stuck out in my mind as two very nice people...Vasser won that race BTW. He was racing with Target under Chip at the time...Zanardi was awesome to watch too, and very nice guy...

As for Jacque, he's a driver who I think 'sold out'. Decided money was more important than wins and at the time he couldn't get 'both'. Which is fine. He'd be winning if he would have been in a decent car...

Favourite drivers...hmmm...

Aryton Senna
Mario Andretti
Gil DeFerran
Dario Franchitti
Greg Moore
Alex Zanardi

There are so many good drivers...it's hard to pick! Oh, and I also like Roberto Moreno just for being able to compete with the kids and still whoop their ass at twice the age...
:thumbsup:

1badPT
07-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
As for Jacque, he's a driver who I think 'sold out'. Decided money was more important than wins and at the time he couldn't get 'both'. Which is fine. He'd be winning if he would have been in a decent car...

That's not it at all, when he raced with Williams, he had a great car - all he had to do was show up and race. He was expected to win and although it was great when he did, it wasn't that much of a surprise either.

With BAR he had a way more active role - plus there's the challenge of taking a "nothing" team and turning it into something. He's a two time champ so he's been the best driver - he's got nothing more to prove that way. BAR was more of a test of his ability to run a team instead of just a car.

Now if it wasn't for that Honda engine... :banghead: :banghead:

:tongue:

Z_Fan
07-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT

That's not it at all, when he raced with Williams, he had a great car - all he had to do was show up and race. He was expected to win and although it was great when he did, it wasn't that much of a surprise either.

With BAR he had a way more active role - plus there's the challenge of taking a "nothing" team and turning it into something. He's a two time champ so he's been the best driver - he's got nothing more to prove that way. BAR was more of a test of his ability to run a team instead of just a car.

Now if it wasn't for that Honda engine... :banghead: :banghead:

:tongue:
I guess you could equate Jacques championship to the same thing as all Michaels then? Just show up, and you've got the best car, so you win? Which is almost true...now isn't it. Shame we'll never know how good each driver really is in F1. I think the world agrees it is the car that wins. Because when Michaels car sucked early in development, he didn't win. It's sad that it's not even a combination of excellent driver, excellent car. It's been proven in F1 that 'average' driver in 'excellent' car can win races...

Anyhow, about Jacques...

I'm sure he wanted a challenge. And a more active role. He got both. So he got what he wanted. But let us face the facts that his salary was the single largest expenditure for BAR for years. So I call that selling out. I mean I guess only Jacque can fully understand his choices. I was disappointed when he went to F1 in the first place! (Just the decision/timing in general) But he wanted to follow his father I believe. I was horrified when BAR happened. Still haunts me...not that BAR wasn't an interesting experiment. It has proven interesting to watch BAR. But...It was that it cost Jacque some of his best years of driving. The world missed out...

In any case, I absolutely love Jacques driving ability. I still believe he is one of the best drivers of the day. And that's why it is such a shame to have watched him waste away what could have been awesome years as a driver. He was too young to take an active role in team building. Christ, he's STILL too young! My opinion is he should have enjoyed being a driver for a lot more years, and by that I mean - 'driver first' - driver exclusively. Let someone else deal with team building and car development. It's a shame we'll never know how many championships he could have won with his talent had he made some different choices. I say give him an excellent car, and he'll win again...

And yeah, damn the engine! Damn the engine!!

Alpine Autowerks
07-26-2004, 11:43 PM
Prost, Villeneuve (both), Mark Donahue. Derek Bell.

Like trying to pass three cars on the inside of a braking zone and ending up just plowing the other car off the track (and incidently killing a track Marshall)

the marshal was killed by a lose wheel caused by RS rear ending him just like RS rear ended every other driver on the track. no skill fugger should be banned.

Moonracer
07-27-2004, 12:15 AM
Mario Andretti :burnout:

Ayrton Senna :burnout:

hyperwhite
07-27-2004, 09:31 AM
it would have been nice to see jacques in a #27 Ferrari, but shumacher would never let that happen.

A2VR6
07-29-2004, 12:54 AM
Im a fan of:
Senna
Sato (poor guy has no luck)
Alonso

calgarys13
07-29-2004, 01:37 AM
its all about raikkonen...goi kimi

That.Guy.S30
07-29-2004, 01:55 AM
i duno if wrc drivers count but petter solberg and "the legend" tommi makinen(sp) are my fav to watch

DEATH2000
08-20-2004, 11:02 AM
My favorite drivers are Sterling Marlin from NASCAR and Kimi Raikkonen from Formula 1