PDA

View Full Version : Checked your air filter ??

fast95pony
07-26-2004, 05:13 PM
I'm going for an oil change tomorrow at the dealer (free change)
so I checked the K&N filter since they make a big deal about it :rolleyes: . Anyways it was pretty dirty.Lots of bugs and flies and crap.

When was the last times you checked yours ??

Seanith
07-26-2004, 05:52 PM
The last time i checked mine to clean it, the middle part came off (crappy ractive filter) and it had to be replaced lol..

powerslave
07-26-2004, 06:00 PM
Haha, funny this topic came up because just yesterday I took my cone filter out to inspect it for the first time since I bought it. The filter itself wasn't as dirty as i expected since it has a plastic protective shield surrounding the filter itself.

T5_X
07-26-2004, 10:24 PM
Last week. I drive on a lot of dusty dirt/gravel roads so mine needs frequent cleaning.

RiceCake
07-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Mine's easily accessible and visible to inspect cleasiness...

I usually have 2 filters, 1 that I use on a continuous basis and then swap when it gets dirty so I don't need to clean it in a rush :)

4DoorGTZ
07-27-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by RiceCake
I usually have 2 filters, 1 that I use on a continuous basis and then swap when it gets dirty so I don't need to clean it in a rush :)

Thats a damn good idea... just like I keep a spare alternator (dont ask)

topher91
07-27-2004, 09:42 AM
I checked mine on the weekend just recently......been wanting to
upgrade to K&N. :dunno: How much for a replacement air filter for my b16??

ThE tV 8 mE
07-27-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by topher91
I checked mine on the weekend just recently......been wanting to
upgrade to K&N. :dunno: How much for a replacement air filter for my b16??

The filter for the stock engine shouldn't be too much, but if you want a new intake..you'r looking between $100-$300

rice_eater
07-27-2004, 10:40 AM
i clean in spring, end of summer, half way through winter and spring again...low CAI get dirty

fast95pony
07-27-2004, 02:51 PM
Hmmm..I drove the car to a store and back last night without the filter.I wasn't quite dry.The felt like it gained 20 hp ! The panel filter must be quite restrictive,even though it's a K&N . I put it back in this morning,and noticed the difference. I would like to put in a bigger intake and filter,but that would knock me out of Stock for Solo 2. I might take it out for a run at Solo 2 to see if there's any gain though..

Ben
07-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
Hmmm..I drove the car to a store and back last night without the filter.I wasn't quite dry.The felt like it gained 20 hp ! The panel filter must be quite restrictive,even though it's a K&N . I put it back in this morning,and noticed the difference. I would like to put in a bigger intake and filter,but that would knock me out of Stock for Solo 2. I might take it out for a run at Solo 2 to see if there's any gain though..

I would put a sheet of bug screen over the filter opening if you do run the solo without the filter. Last thing you need is a rock or other foreign objects to take a tour through your supercharged air pump.

I keep spares of everything now.

tranny, alternator, water and oil pumps, steering wheels, bulbs, heater cores, headlights, haha, could almost build another car.

QuasarCav
07-27-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony

is this with the stang' or the focus?

fast95pony
07-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Sorry..Focus . The parking lot in Red Deer is quite clean,but a good idea , Ben :thumbsup:

I don't quite think the Stang would qualify for "Stock" anymore...:D

EK 2.0
07-27-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Ben

I would put a sheet of bug screen over the filter opening if you do run the solo without the filter. Last thing you need is a rock or other foreign objects to take a tour through your supercharged air pump.

I keep spares of everything now.

tranny, alternator, water and oil pumps, steering wheels, bulbs, heater cores, headlights, haha, could almost build another car.

Gee Ben, you sound almost like a DSMer...:rofl: