PDA

View Full Version : My poor civic got clipped today

illeagle
07-26-2004, 10:53 PM
Well, on my way home, no traffic. I'm on 17th ave SE, turning north onto 28th st SE. I'm in the turning lane, and there's a Blue dodge lancer stopped in the middle of the intersection to the right of me. I think it's stalled (car looks like garbage) so i follow traffic making the left turn, Out of the corner of my eye i see the car move, then i hear, and feel her hit my car. She so shocked she stops in the middle of oncomming traffic. So i get out and tell her to follow me to the parking lot. She goes over the curb, drives on the grass then back onto the road, cutting off all the cars behind me.

Then in the parking lot, her husband (passenger) is getting agressive with me, telling me it's MY fault. I say whatever, and call the cops. While on the phone, i decide to just get her info and go on with my busy day. They give me expired insurance (april1st) To a mini-van, the guy is trying to convince me his car is a plymouth voyager mini-van!! None of them have any type of licence, insurance, OR registration. Cops come along, *I* feel as though i'm at fault, then crash bandicoot gets off with 2 tickets, and drives away..

If that was me at fault, my car would be impounded, and I'd be walking with 2 court apperence summons, instead of 2 yellow tickets... anyways, here's the damage, I have to fix. All i have is PLPD, and my insurance adjuster said since the accused car has no insurance, MY insurance will have to fix the damage, and MY insurance will go up... Q: how the hell do i get money out of these people for the damages if they don't have insurance? If the don't have insurance, the cop should have gave a pink ticket, but instead he warned them to get valid papers..F*CK!

illeagle
07-26-2004, 10:54 PM

illeagle
07-26-2004, 10:55 PM
it sucks, because now there's alot of rattling, and The fact i JUST fixed the rust and painted that 1/4 panel really pisses me off..

Team_Mclaren
07-26-2004, 11:02 PM
:eek: :eek: that sucks!!! i never got to see it after u fixed it too!!!

WGR4Pussies
07-26-2004, 11:04 PM
lmao, dude, call the police again and say they were driving with no insurance. Thats gona cost you alot of money to fix. you cann probly pull/pound the dent out.

illeagle
07-26-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by WGR4Pussies
lmao, dude, call the police again and say they were driving with no insurance. Thats gona cost you alot of money to fix. you cann probly pull/pound the dent out.

I know it's kind of a long story to read, but like i said, the police WERE called, and DID show up. They just cut the other driver ALOT of slack.

Fixing the damage is easy, i work in a bodyshop, Just the fact that I have to pay for the repairs, Just because that bitch diden't have insurance is garbage..

finboy
07-26-2004, 11:13 PM
FUCK man that sucks, lawyer up and get any money they have :dunno:

atleast it didn't happen to the mazdaspeed.

illeagle
07-26-2004, 11:16 PM
pay for my damages AND my lawyer?

finboy
07-26-2004, 11:19 PM
*consult* with the lawyer to explore your options ;)

too bad, that was one of my favorite civics, i'm thinking you should start driving a suburban with your luck man :D

WGR4Pussies
07-26-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by illeagle

I know it's kind of a long story to read, but like i said, the police WERE called, and DID show up. They just cut the other driver ALOT of slack.

Fixing the damage is easy, i work in a bodyshop, Just the fact that I have to pay for the repairs, Just because that bitch diden't have insurance is garbage..

I read your post, I'm just saying you need to call the police again and say you got into an accident with someone who had no insurance and you'd like to report them.

listen, forget what I just said, get intouch with the people who hit you and tell them they have 2 choices, they can either pay for your repairs, or, you are gona report them for not having insurance at the time. the cost to fix your car should be cheaper then a no insurance ticket.

mx73someday
07-27-2004, 12:24 AM
I have a really hard time believing that they didn't have insurance and got away with it after being in an accident. Isn't no-insurance a $3000 fine, even without being in an accident!???

I would definitely get in touch with the officer and/or his/her supervisor. I was under the impression that there are no excuses for driving without insurance and that's a free invitation for the $3000 fine and a tow.

Can the cop let them go without insurance? That doesn't sound right. Has anyone else got away with driving with no insurance?

finboy
07-27-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by mx73someday
I have a really hard time believing that they didn't have insurance and got away with it after being in an accident. Isn't no-insurance a $3000 fine, even without being in an accident!???

I would definitely get in touch with the officer and/or his/her supervisor. I was under the impression that there are no excuses for driving without insurance and that's a free invitation for the $3000 fine and a tow.

Can the cop let them go without insurance? That doesn't sound right. Has anyone else got away with driving with no insurance?

they could have told the cop that they didn't have the papers with them, and gotten 2 failure to produce tickets.

1badPT
07-27-2004, 12:31 AM
I'd get a copy of the police report and press charges. The cop has the discretion to let a person off any ticket, but if you have proof that they don't have insurance, him deciding not to charge them for it doesn't take away your right to press charges for the exact same thing.

I hate to agree with "Mr a hand full of quarters makes a good wheel spacer" but his advice might be the best thing you can do because if you press charges, you still won't get anything out of it and they'll be put in a high risk auto insurance market (facilty insurance).

Chances are they'll never pay a cent of Facility Insurance if they can't afford normal insurance rates on their beater. See if they'll cut a deal with you and if they don't, press charges :dunno:

CRXguy
07-27-2004, 02:42 AM
sorry to hear man. i saw you on 52nd St about 45mins before you posted this.

Gonthro
07-27-2004, 08:00 AM
GET A LAWYER... seriously man, thats the only way you'll get yer car fixed, i swear people with no insurance are better off than people with insurance sometimes, they get away with too much shit, get a lawyer.

1-Bar
07-27-2004, 09:36 AM
werd...I say consult w/ a lawyer and get this shiet straightend out man. I hope things work out for you...GL :thumbsup:

WGR4Pussies
07-27-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT

I hate to agree with "Mr a hand full of quarters makes a good wheel spacer" but his advice might be the best thing you can do....

lol, come on man, I never said quarters were good wheel spacers.

illeagle
07-28-2004, 12:55 AM
^^haha^^

well, The black book value of my civic is $2,175. The damage was estimated at $1,600:eek: At A-1 haha, what a joke,

Today, i also switched ins/reg papers, to the Mazda, was that a bad move on my part? Does it matter that the civic is no longer insured as of today? , anyone recomend a certain lawyer?

As for the other people driving away without insurance papers... They kept saying they don't understand, she coulden't see me, it should be MY fault, and said they have the new papers at home. The cop gave them a ticket for unsafe left turn, and driving without valid insurance papers. Both tickets were yellow. I guess the cop cut them a break 'cause it was raining and there was 2 baby's in the back seat.

* OH! i can't belive i left this out. The funny part was after i told her to follow me into the parking lot. She's in the middle of the intersection, holding up cars in pretty much ALL directions. i'm watching her to make sure she doesen't take off. She scrapes up the curb, drives up the grass, i start driving, all the traffic is catching up to me, she cuts back to the street from the grass, flying off the curb, cutting off the cars behind me, all I can see in my mirror is her car swerving left to right, all i can hear is screetching tires, and blarring Horns.. haha, and yes, i did tell this to the cop. He just diden't care.

lam-boy
07-28-2004, 01:07 AM
yo man, that sux! haha listen to adam. might be the best thing to do dude!

Skyline_Addict
07-28-2004, 07:32 PM
woah, that really really sucks!
i hope everything goes well with you.
i can't even imagine how mad you must/must've be/been!
when a guy backed into my car at 5 km/h I totally freaked!

Seanith
07-28-2004, 10:55 PM
fuck that sucks buddy. do what people said and make sure these fuckers at least get a $3000 ticket!

goldfish168
08-05-2004, 12:12 AM
I've been in this type of situation twice:

First time was a hit and run where I caught the guys plate with witnesses to back it up. The cops did find the driver and he returned to the scene 1/2 hr later to file the report. They gave him a speeding ticket and wreckless driving ticket for almost running me over in the parking lot trying to stop him. He showed a temporary pink card to the cop, a week later I found out his insurace was already cancelled and his cheque returned for lying to insurace about his driving record. I contacted the cop who was in charge of the case serveral times to advise them that he did not have valid insurace. Had to speak to the staff sargent twice before the cop actually even returned my call and said she would investigate it further but I have a feeling no ticket was ever issued to him for driving without insurance. Later found out that he had other outstanding tickets as well and cops didn't bother doing anything while they had him. Spoke to several different agencies and laywers and all the advice I received was to take it to small claims court since there were no injuries and only property damage. Damages worked out to be about $500. Talked to several other people about small claims court and found out it would be a waste of time. Winning in court would be pretty easy, just time consuming paying up front for some filing fees but then collecting would be another story. Ended up just using touch up paint and living with a scraped up rear bumper.

Second occurance was another accident classified as hit and run to make a long story short. Caught the guy but no insurance again. This time $2800 damage. Had to go through my own insurance and they are now filing a lawsuit against the other driver. Still had to cough up the deductible and risk insurance being jacked up.

Moral of this long story is if you get hit by someone without insurance, you're the one that gets screwed, not them for not having insurance, even if it is clearly their fault.

(Sorry about this long post but just had to vent after hearing about some else being hit by idiots without insurance!)

illeagle
08-05-2004, 12:20 AM
hey thanks goldfish.. I STILL haven't delt with any of it. I know for a fact the insurance company is gonna write off the car.. can i just say, "NO! you can't write it off!" and they won't? That kinda sucks, that some bitch hits ME, then i loose a car!?!?! that's not fair...

Anyways, i'm gonna visit my ins adjuster tommorow, hopefully i'll get to drive that little runt one more again...Can i ask for a cash settlement? I can fix the car, and paint it EASILY in my garage, will i have a choice? I'm the victim (lol) i should be calling the shots... right?

goldfish168
08-05-2004, 12:46 AM
I've never had to deal with insurance writing off a car before but I'm pretty sure you can keep the car but they just won't pay anymore than what it's worth minus some kind of fees like deductibles and stuff. Then you'll have first dib's to buy the car back and repair it yourself. I think that's how it goes, maybe someone who has gone through this can clarify.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

WGR4Pussies
08-05-2004, 03:46 AM
who cares, drive the mazda, its pimp.:bigpimp:

Seanith
08-05-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by goldfish168
I've never had to deal with insurance writing off a car before but I'm pretty sure you can keep the car but they just won't pay anymore than what it's worth minus some kind of fees like deductibles and stuff. Then you'll have first dib's to buy the car back and repair it yourself. I think that's how it goes, maybe someone who has gone through this can clarify.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Yeah they will write it off and give you the money for it, and then you can buy the car back for like (not 100% on the amount) 1/5 of the value the car is worth or something. My buddy write off an 89 prelude and bought it back for less than $1000 i believe.

illeagle
08-05-2004, 06:13 PM
But if i buy the car back after it's written off, How the hell am i gonna insure a written off car?

Also i kinda need that car, it's my winter/back up ride.. The motor in my Mazda is going for a full rebuild over the winter... I also drive the shit out of that mazda, and if the motor were to go, i'll always have the honda to use..

DefektiveVibe
08-05-2004, 06:20 PM
i dont have insurance...but im scared when i drive just incase someone hits me. I guess the rumors of the $3000 ticket are false. Sorry to hear about the accident man

OPGForce
08-05-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by DefektiveVibe
i dont have insurance...but im scared when i drive just incase someone hits me. I guess the rumors of the $3000 ticket are false. Sorry to hear about the accident man

wtf? u drive with no insurance? :thumbsdow :guns: :bullshit:

Seanith
08-05-2004, 09:06 PM
yeah man wtf is wrong with you? :dunno:

bbcustoms
08-06-2004, 08:54 PM
A write off inspection is about $300 so you can insure it again
So after you pay to get the car back, pay for the repair, and pay for the inspection you arent really gaining anything but a bunch of hassle

bbcustoms
08-06-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by DefektiveVibe

the rumors arent false
ive had 3 of them

abyss
08-08-2004, 01:40 PM
What the hell! nobody drives with insurance anymore? My mom's 2003 Accord just got rear ended 2 days ago by some punk kid with no insurance, and what it looks like is going to happen is she gets screwed? Not cool at all...:thumbsdow

WGR4Pussies
08-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by bbcustoms

the rumors arent false
ive had 3 of them

lmao.