PDA

View Full Version : Cost Analysis of doing a Truck lift

AUTigersGrad
07-27-2004, 10:38 AM
In general, im sure that doing a truck lift doesnt depend too much on what kind of truck you drive but just so you know, I drive a 94 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 5.7L 2WD Pickup. I am interested in getting a lift on it and am looking for some advise on what would be my best course of action.

I have noticed that a 3 inch lift kit costs about 200 dollars. Is a 3 inch lift even noticable? Does it warrant a new rim and tire change? Or would you just opt for the larger tires on the existing rims? What would something like this cost if I were to have someone do it for me?

If you choose to go the suspension route, what is a good lift size? I'm not looking to do any major off-roading, basically just cosmetically alter the look of the truck since trucks look better when they are raised and my truck as it is right now looks too close to the ground. Would you opt for a 6inch lift, more? What is the price range on a suspension lift? Would I also assume that I would need a new rim and tire change for this?

How much to brush guards go for these days? Any advise on picking a good one for a good price?

Thanks for the help. If you have any other good advice for me that i may have not known about to ask, toss it in. I'm not too knowledgable about lifting a truck.

I'm looking to spend at most 2500 dollars, preferably around 1000, but i'm wondering which route would be the best. Is this feasable?

Any help you can offer through website links or advise would be greatly appreciated!

Gonthro
07-27-2004, 10:42 AM
you dont want body lifts they look like ass, a 4 inch suspension lift would probably do the job for you, you may want bigger tires after you lift it, you might not have the option though, it all depends on the wheel well clearance infront of and behind the tire, as well as the clearance inside the wheel well (weather it'll rub or not when turning) there are far too many variables to determine wether you would or could get bigger tires... but make sure you get a suspension lift... but with a suspension lift you will likely need other new parts such as shocks ect...

AUTigersGrad
07-27-2004, 10:48 AM
So, I'm looking for about a 4 inch suspension lift and new shocks? What would something like that cost?

Are their ways around rubbing your wheel wells when you turn?

Anyone done something like this recently? How much would it cost from start to finish?

Gonthro
07-27-2004, 10:51 AM
you can avoid tire rub by putting smaller tires on it :P

there are lots of places in the phone book that could probably give you an estimate over the phone as well as more knowledge into it... (body lifts are cheaper to have put in and to have installed but i gaurentee you will regret it.)

WGR4Pussies
07-27-2004, 11:06 AM
LOL. if you want form over function, just get a body lift. There is nothing wrong with body lifts these days. Things have changed quite a bit since the ol days of drilled through hockey pucks. One of the main points for a lift is to allow you to run larger tires. If you get new fender-well plastic, you can avoid that ugly space between the frame and body that is often associated with body lifts. Prices for a BL vary, depending on the application and amount of height you will need to factor in cost such as....

-cost of lift kit
-cost of instalation

Some applications may also require..

-larger tires
-fenderwell plastic
-new shifter/shift boot
-new throttle cables
-longer brake lines

All in all, sell your pussy 2wd truck and buy a 4x4 if you wana lift something. :)

black j
07-27-2004, 01:00 PM
I totally agree. Get a 4x4 if you want it to look like a 4x4.

Body lift cost: $200 bux apprx
Install: 800 bux if you pay a shop.
If you have any mechanical ability you should be able to pull it off yourself.

Suspension is out of your budget. But looks much better.

phat97yukon
07-28-2004, 12:28 AM
body lift is the cheap and easy way to go and takes a afternoon to do it if you got a the right stuff and a few buddys and it doesnt look that bad, you just get a bit of a gap between the bumper and the body.. suspention lift for a 2wd isnt worth buyin, because for most trucks its cheaper for suspention lift for 4wd... I was lookin into this because i was goin to lift my 2wd blazer and do it pre runner style..... other ways around gaining lift in the back is easy too, add a block on the diff, or even a shackle, and im not sure, but with IFS 4x4's you can crank up the front torsion bars and get a coupe of inchs usualy, but not sure about 2WD...

mrbojangles
07-28-2004, 12:41 AM
Some body lift kits come with brackets to raise the bumpers up. If not, just fab up new brackets to get rid of that gap. A Body lift is a cheap way to get the 'lifted look' you desire.

Hit the 4x4 boards and search in the Newbie sections. You'll get a ton of info.

07-28-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by AUTigersGrad

haha yea alot of cutting

BuknBronco
08-05-2004, 10:14 PM
I priced a 4 inch suspension lift for my Bronco at Modern and they wanted $2300

turboMiata
08-06-2004, 03:34 PM
There is no perfect answer for you. You might end up doing both.

Body lift - Cheap. But fugly gaps. And you have to modify you bumpers, extend the shift levers, extend steering column. Maybe move seat belt brakets and ghetto rig coolant lines.

Suspension lift - More money. Cool. Stiff suspension can carry more load and improve handling. Too much can modify pinion angle and cause driveline vibes and wandering. May require extending or offseting the radius arms.

And since you only have a 2wd, you're gonna spend all this money and try to "look the part" but you'll never be able to take the vehicle offroad.:dunno:

Originally posted by AUTigersGrad

You'll probably rub your radius arms first. See if you can adjust the steering stops on your axle.