PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to add...

JokerFMJ
07-27-2004, 06:54 PM
What's up, ya'll? I (and my Wife) wanted to add a Turbo to our little 2002 Ford Focus SE.

Now, keeping in mind i'm very clueless when it comes to cars, would a Turbo be better than a Supercharger for us?

Also, what other things would be necessary with the Turbo or Supercharger? An intake, etc...?

If you need anymore info, just let me know, thanks in advance. =D

hyperwhite
07-27-2004, 06:56 PM
how much are you looking too spend? it might be better off upgrading to an SVT

JokerFMJ
07-27-2004, 07:06 PM
Well i'm not really sure how much it all would run. I have some friends at work who would help me install the stuff, so I don't have to worry about labor or anything, just the parts.

$1,500 would be about max right now... The less the better, though, as long as it's not a piece of trash. And if that's not enough, what would I need to spend? :)

Thanks.

H4LFY2nR
07-27-2004, 07:21 PM
I don't know much about fords so I don't know how well your focus would handle boost but.....

Some parts you will need are

turbo exhast manifold
turbo
waste gate
downpipe/larger diameter exhast
charge pipes
intercooler
blowoff valve
some sort of engine management (FMU, chipped ecu/injectors, standalone computer, etc)
oil feed lines
check valves/vacuum lines
gauges to monitor your engine
etc.

Research on turbo sites like
www.homemadeturbo.com (http://www.homemadeturbo.com)

I'm assuming that you are going to need it installed, and it would probably be more convenient just to buy a complete turbo kit, if there is one for the focus. However those are really expensive but will include everything you need.

I like turbos more that superchargers because you are using energy that would just be wasted anyways. But if they make a supercharger kit for your car then maybe that would be better for you.

A cold air intake is useful as a charge pipe in a homemade turbo setup.

JokerFMJ
07-27-2004, 07:57 PM
Wow, all that stuff, huh? Didn't think it'd be THAT much stuff... Now, is that all expensive stuff? lol

ZMan2k2
07-27-2004, 09:05 PM
It depends on whether the car is auto or manual. But from what I hear, a supercharger is a little more "streetable" than a turbo. By that I mean that there aren't any little quirks, that you have to adapt your driving to. Because the power is more linear with a S/C as opposed to a turbo, you can tool around at lower rpms, and not really stress the motor, or get on it and wind that bad-boy out. That's why, when GM finally releases it, I want to get a S/C for my car.:burnout:

JokerFMJ
07-27-2004, 09:59 PM
My Focus is a stick shift; and yeah, I hear what you're saying about the linear power of the Super Charger as opposed to the boost of the Turbo...

Thanks. :)

Redlyne_mr2
07-27-2004, 10:46 PM
Honestly if that is your only car and you are on a budget of $1500 I would not even consider turboing or supercharging it. There are sooo many hidden costs involved with adding forced induction to a car that never came with it especially if you know nothing about cars and how they work. Intake, exhaust and a wet system nitrous kit can be done for under 1500usd and will give you that extra hp youre looking for

JokerFMJ
07-28-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Honestly if that is your only car and you are on a budget of $1500 I would not even consider turboing or supercharging it. There are sooo many hidden costs involved with adding forced induction to a car that never came with it especially if you know nothing about cars and how they work. Intake, exhaust and a wet system nitrous kit can be done for under 1500usd and will give you that extra hp youre looking for

Thanks, Redlyne, I appreciate your cander. :) Maybe i'll just look into an intake and an exhaust for now... Until we get the new car.

Next question: Any suggestions for an intake/exhaust for a 2002 Ford Focus SE? lol

=D