PDA

View Full Version : Cheap but efficient Mods.

JokerFMJ
07-27-2004, 07:51 PM
I was wondering what some cheap but efficient mods are for cars. I read a lot about people completely redoing this or that and spending thousands of dollars.

However, I don't see too much, "I spent $150 and got a nice boost!" or anything like that. So does anyone have some thing they've done themselves or that a friend did that was cheap and had a nice increase?

GTS Jeff
07-27-2004, 07:57 PM
hmm no such thing...u can take off your bumpers or something. thatll give u a nice boost for free.

7thgenvic
07-27-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
hmm no such thing...u can take off your bumpers or something. thatll give u a nice boost for free.

hahahahah :thumbsup: take off the doors, trunk, hood, and put tin foil to replace what you took off that should shed 400 pounds and your only spending about 30 bucks on the tin foil itself!

JokerFMJ
07-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Well, I didn't mean $150 max, I was just making an example. =D

EstoMax
07-27-2004, 08:37 PM
cheapest mods are weight reduction (mostly free), take out ur

spare tire/jack/jacking tools
rip out rear seats
rip out carpets (or just the tar underneath them)

performance wise, most people start with an air intake, its cheap and can add a few horsies, and makes your car sound meaner in the higher rpm range.

otherwise the cheapest source of horsepower is nitrous oxide, read up on it u can get a kit for like 300-400 and get 50 or more hp on the tap

max

WGR4Pussies
07-27-2004, 08:52 PM
lots of cheap mods, just keep reading around, you'll find them.

GTS Jeff
07-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by WGR4Pussies
lots of cheap mods, just keep reading around, you'll find them. wow, another great contribution from spencer

Speed_Dreams
07-27-2004, 09:16 PM
what kind of car do you have?
just try to make the car breath better ( intake or exhaust) you could also add more fuel with more air advance the timing. HKS has a central ground kit out i think thats pretty cheap. stuff like that

WGR4Pussies
07-27-2004, 09:55 PM
wow, another great contribution from spencer

lol, yeah it is, from a thread like this one, you will never get to see most of the mods, and since most 'cheap' mods are application specific we can't really help. So the best advice i can give to someone is to read around and go get some experience.:rolleyes:

JokerFMJ
07-27-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Speed_Dreams
what kind of car do you have?
just try to make the car breath better ( intake or exhaust) you could also add more fuel with more air advance the timing. HKS has a central ground kit out i think thats pretty cheap. stuff like that

2002 Focus SE. Just like it says beneath my name. :P

GTS Jeff
07-28-2004, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by WGR4Pussies

lol, yeah it is, from a thread like this one, you will never get to see most of the mods, and since most 'cheap' mods are application specific we can't really help. So the best advice i can give to someone is to read around and go get some experience.:rolleyes: well your "best advice" or shall we say, "best attempt at advice" is fuckin worthless. look at all the other posts in this thread; they are about 74 times better than what u posted.

Dr. Nick
08-03-2004, 06:34 PM
The best dollar/performance mod is tires. While some would think that spending $600-1000 on tires is absurd, I'm a big beleiver of the only things touching the ground.

three.eighteen.
08-03-2004, 07:02 PM
tires dont make you go faster though, technically speaking the most cost effective mods are the most expensive...

method
08-03-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
tires dont make you go faster though

if you actually believe that, you're a retard... I'm afraid :(

three.eighteen.
08-03-2004, 07:34 PM
ok...tires dont give your horsepower...this guy is looking for power...i wouldnt argue that tires arent a good mod, in fact they should be your first if youre looking to drive like a retard

FiveFreshFish
08-03-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by JokerFMJ
I was wondering what some cheap but efficient mods are for cars.

Okay, since you didn't say the mods had to make your car faster, here are some easy mods that achieve other things. Most of the good cheap mods are electrical.

- Hardwire your radar detector. This frees up your 12V power socket and it's one less thing to hide when you park your car. You only need to buy some wire (or phone cord) and the proper connector for your detector.

- Switch to Sylvania/Osram Silverstar headlight bulbs if you presently have regular halogen bulbs. Higher light output with legal wattage. About $50 a pair.

- If your car has rear fog lights, wire them up so they work as additional brake lights and still retain their intended function. Cost is about $2 for a pair of zener diodes.

- If you have an older car, upgrade your headlight circuit (http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html) so they run directly off the battery using the original headlight circuit to trigger the relay. This give the path of least resistance and you get more voltage across the bulb terminals. Cost is about $30 for relays, connectors and wiring.

- Connect your stereo so it can play without the ignition key. Cost = nothing.

- Add StoneGuard (http://www.apexcone.com/JimPowellHomepage/Lighting/StoneProtector/3MFilm.html) or Xpel to protect your headlights. Costs about $20.

Scat
08-04-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
[B]
Okay, since you didn't say the mods had to make your car faster, here are some easy mods that achieve other things. Most of the good cheap mods are electrical.
[B]

IMO
Those are some of the gheyest mods I've heard of to date.
Well done. Your a champion of automotive tuning excellence!
:thumbsup: :rofl:

GQBalla
08-04-2004, 01:00 PM
wieght reduction! racing seats take out spare tires, back seats, kick out your fat passenger when you race or better yet get your fat ass passenger out when you race take off the hood, trunk, back seats, spare tires, and let that fat as make some use to carry it all!:rofl:

RiCE-DaDDy
08-04-2004, 01:26 PM
well your "best advice" or shall we say, "best attempt at advice" is fuckin worthless. look at all the other posts in this thread; they are about 74 times better than what u posted.

LOL 74?? where did come up with 74? why not 81?

FiveFreshFish
08-04-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Scat

IMO

Don't hate on mods you don't understand.

Weapon_R
08-04-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Scat

IMO

How are they gay? Most of those mods can be done in an afternoon and will improve the feel of the car. Newsflash, not all mods are about speed.