PDA

View Full Version : engine struggles, strange noise from rear...

Hakkola
07-27-2004, 08:06 PM
I've been having some problems with my car, especially at low rpms, like when idling at lights or when moving into or out of a parking stall.

There's also a noise, almost like a clank from the rear left side, in the area that the exhaust is. Almost sounds like the exhaust is hitting the rear bumper, except I know that's not what the problem is, but it's in tha vaccinity. Any body have any idea what the problem could be.

Any good shops where I can get it checked out? I don't want to go to the dealership.

BlaCkPlaGUE
07-27-2004, 09:33 PM
At first thought, it sounds like your cat is extremley clogged. Does the engine struggle overall, as in slow acceleration? or even when your in park/nuetral it revs up in RPM slower than it did say a year or two ago?

Hakkola
07-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Yeah, exactly.

My buddy went with a ride with me yesterday, and it was really noticeable. I actually heard a strange sound come out of the exhaust while driving, it was under slow acceleration, my friend said he could feel something under his right foot coming from the engine as the noise came out from the exhaust...

QuasarCav
07-28-2004, 11:41 AM
auto?

does the whole car kind of struggle and shake a little bit?

If so check your ATF fluid, could be too low or too high.

Hakkola
07-28-2004, 01:17 PM
yeah, the car shakes, recently it has become quite violent

ATF... Automatic Transmission Fluid? If so I've already checked it and it's fine.

QuasarCav
07-28-2004, 01:31 PM
Is it popping at all (backfiring)?

If not that would rule the Cat out. Plugs and wires wouldn't cause a violent shake.

Sounds like it's tranny related but it could be mounts as well. Is this an intermittent problem or is it all the time?

Did it happen all of a sudden, can you visually inspect the engine mounts?

ZorroAMG
07-28-2004, 03:03 PM
Is it just a rough idle Hakk? My car does the same thing, not quite as much as yours by the sound of it though...

Engine mounts on our inline 6's are crucial to prevent the rough idle feeling...have them checked/changed...

At the lights does your tach go up and down slightly?

You should post this on Mercedesshop.com. Maybe Alpine Autoworks on here can offer advice...

Hakkola
07-28-2004, 05:49 PM
There is a popping noise coming out of the exhaust, almost like a backfire but not that loud and no smoke. I was thinking fuel injection system, or engine mounts before, but I don't think it's the mounts any more, it's more than just a rough idle now.

The tach does go up and down at the lights, so I suppose it could be the mounts as well as the cat, could be more than one problem I guess.