PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Exhaust

2.2vtec
07-27-2004, 09:17 PM
Is it true that a turbo actually makes your exhaust quieter?

What is a turbo back exhaust?

Inthered
07-27-2004, 09:30 PM
Yes, turbo's make your car sound alot quieter. Turbo's need exhaust gases to make power, so they somewhat muffle the exhaust sound.

A turbo back exhaust would be classified as a downpipe, cat, piping, maybe a resonator, and a muffler.

BlaCkPlaGUE
07-27-2004, 09:31 PM
Im curious to know myself, I think maybe it has something to do with backpressure or some shit. Im totally clueless to this as you can tell. Hopefully someone will explain it, cause I know there are exhaust systems for turbo and seperate packages for n/a

2.2vtec
07-27-2004, 09:33 PM
So if you took out your cat, and went with a straight pipe... your saying the sound would be muffled and not loud?

hjr
07-27-2004, 09:43 PM
the reason a turbo will make it much quiter is that there is a large lump of metal restricting the exhaust, acting almost as a muffler iteself. in a n/a car your getting the direct sound of the engine at the tail pipe (assuming straitpipe))

WGR4Pussies
07-27-2004, 09:51 PM
yeah, some turbo cars dont even run a muffler from the factory.:)

EK 2.0
07-27-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by BlaCkPlaGUE
Im curious to know myself, I think maybe it has something to do with backpressure or some shit. Im totally clueless to this as you can tell. Hopefully someone will explain it, cause I know there are exhaust systems for turbo and seperate packages for n/a

All within reason, you want a larger diameter pipe for a turbo set-up...I usually recommend no less than a 3 inch set up...although yes 2.5 is a lot more streetable...in terms of both sound levels AND clearance on some lowered cars...Because the turbo is in effect blocking, AND forcing gases out, you want a large diameter of pipe to expel said gases...

Whereas in a N/A vehicle, you want to keep a bit of backpressure in order to maintain low end grunt...so 2.25 inch is most widely used for N/A cars...now before I get flamed (spencer), there are exceptions to EVERY rule...

Redlyne_mr2
07-27-2004, 10:49 PM
I never understood why some turbo guys go out and buy 2.5inch systems? Unless your wastegate is ass and creeps like a whore 3inch should be the minimum

EK 2.0
07-27-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I never understood why some turbo guys go out and buy 2.5inch systems? Unless your wastegate is ass and creeps like a whore 3inch should be the minimum

I dont know either...but eh...cest la vie...I mean having used both on my DSM...yes the 2.5 was much quieter...but, 3 inch is the only way to go IMO for a turbo set-up...but I know some cars wont allow for a 3 inch cause of under car clearance issues and other factors though...

tsi_neal
07-27-2004, 11:24 PM
Truth be told that a decent 3" system will happily support upwards of 500hp probably 600+ even. going smaller mighnt hurt sppol times tho but shouldnt limit power to much on mild setups

a turbo back exhaust is just that, starts at the turbo and ends at the tail pipe

Ive never understood why people complain about a 3" system being loud... ive never heard my car from the outside, but inside its really queit and any cruising speed and only slightly noisy under normal acceleration. WOT it is kinda loud tho...
oh and this is 3" mandrel bent with a 3" straight through muffler, no fart can to make it louder... my car is all sleeper baby dents and all

2.2vtec
07-27-2004, 11:42 PM
what's the difference between a straight through muffler and a 'fart can' ?

Inthered
07-27-2004, 11:58 PM
I used to have a 3" straight exhaust (no cat, no resonator) w/2.5" dp and it was friggen loud with the silencer taken out of the 3" N1. Maybe it was just the muffler can being straight through and all?

Yeah, driving w/3" underaxle exhaust through parking lots was rough!

2.2vtec
07-28-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Inthered
I used to have a 3" straight exhaust (no cat, no resonator) w/2.5" dp and it was friggen loud with the silencer taken out of the 3" N1. Maybe it was just the muffler can being straight through and all?

was your car turbo'd with this setup?

buh_buh
07-28-2004, 05:12 AM
I think if your running lower boost levels, 2.5" exhaust may suffice. Also with a 2.5" it won't be as loud. My 3" is pretty damn loud I think, but its worth it for the extra hp. Bigger diameter exhaust makes a big difference. When I went from a 2.25" exhaust to a 3" exhaust I gained 40whp.

tsi_neal
07-28-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Inthered

Yeah, driving w/3" underaxle exhaust through parking lots was rough!

Thats your answer right there, apexi N1 = loud fart can :poosie: without the siclencer those things really dont do much at all to quiet down the noise. with a traditional style muffler (straight through) on there, it would be much quieter (IMO sounds better too), with just as good perfomance. a chambered muffler will be quieter yet.

Originally posted by 2.2vtec
what's the difference between a straight through muffler and a 'fart can' ?
A straight through muffler is just that a regular looking muffler with no chambers and baffles to get in the way of exhaust flow. Regular mufflers are usually chambered for more backpressure and a quieter sound, but straight through is also available. Check out dynamax or flowmaster to get an idea of what they look like.
A "fart can" is a can style muffler at the end of the pipe, most popular with sport compact drivers check out an apexi N1 to see what they look like. They are usually much louder and resonate the exhaust note for the "performance sound"