PDA

View Full Version : My v8 buddy in surrey is gowing to get OWNED

finboy
11-04-2002, 12:13 AM
here is what he is going to have this summer.

-intake
-650 cfm carb
-hooker headers
-2.5 inch exhaust
-268 cam
-3500 pounds w/o driver.

1978 camaro 350.

he thinks he will take me by 6 lengths.

by the time i race him, i will hopefully have 22 psi, 40% larger injectors, a555, twin i/c's, ported exhaust manifold, 52mm throttle body, probably more.

he is going to get OWNED!!!

here are some quotes.

him"i have 4 more cylenders"
me"i have boost"
h"big deal, i will smoke you by at LEAST 6 lengths."
m"we'll see"
h"man, i am having (see list of mods) done."
m"man, that is going to make facing defeat really suck for you than huh?"

AHAHAHA.

him"if you win, you can take my car down the track"
me"too slow"
h"fine, than what"
m"BIG burnout caught on film (video)"
h"what do i get if i win"
m"neve gonna happen"

i also told him of my plans of getting a talon as a second car

"those are gay man"
me"with mods it would smoke you"
"what ever man, bad choice."

he has been brain washed, TIME FOR SOME EDUMACATION.

v8's are cool, but this guy doesn't think a turbo 4 can keep up to him, never mind stomping him into the ground.

buh_buh
11-04-2002, 12:16 AM
wow

Weapon_R
11-04-2002, 12:33 AM
Those camaro's were one of the slowest vehicles i've ever been in. Automatic, but slow as hell. Seriously.

finboy
11-04-2002, 12:37 AM
yup. he is doing some good work to it, but he expects low 12's at sea level.

Luke 96 T/A
11-04-2002, 01:56 AM
Heheh, but he WILL sound better ;-)
still, doesn't sound like he has much under the hood..
what sort of HP do you have??
what sort of q/m times??? I'd bet he'd run a 14.5 at sea level...
unless he has a lot you haven't seen ;-)

Davan
11-04-2002, 10:10 AM
I have no idea what your mods are going to run for you, but for him, if he can hook up with some good drag radials, then he's definetly looking at 12's.

I have an old 5 litre mustang at home, in the garage. Just waiting for parts to roll in. A similar combo in my Mustang, with enough suspension to hook it up will be easy 12's, even at this elevation it's very possible. It doesn't take much to get power from those old carb'ed V8s.'

But so many muscle car guys overlook the suspension factor. It's just as important, if not more, than the engine mods. And it doesn't sound like he has any, unless he hasn't told you?

CRXguy
11-04-2002, 10:25 AM
Great, more "bench racing."

Davan
11-04-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by CRXguy
Great, more "bench racing."

Difference is, combo's like these:

-intake
-650 cfm carb
-hooker headers
-2.5 inch exhaust
-268 cam
-3500 pounds w/o driver.

have been done hundreds and hundreds of times, it's a tried and tested formula with only outside factors affecting the results.

Ben
11-04-2002, 10:33 AM
you better hope you beat him...bench racing copouts are heavily flamed

CRXguy
11-04-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Davan
have been done hundreds and hundreds of times, it's a tried and tested formula with only outside factors affecting the results.

I understand that. It's just that both cars aren't even remotely close to being done and they're saying they're gonna "OWN" each other.....with your typical "im gonna do this, im gonna do that.

:guns:

Toma
11-04-2002, 11:13 AM
A great 350 in a 3500 pound car will run mid 11's at sea level, mid 12's if its a good 350, and mid a 13's if it is a marginal 350. A hunk of crap 350 will be in the 15's.

Toma

Davan
11-04-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by CRXguy

I understand that. It's just that both cars aren't even remotely close to being done and they're saying they're gonna "OWN" each other.....with your typical "im gonna do this, im gonna do that.

:guns:

Yeah. I retract all previous statements, instead I say this:

Just race him! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ConVict
11-04-2002, 11:29 AM
Of course a 4 Cyl Turbo can take a big muscle V8, but you have to do about 3 times as much work to the engine as he has to !
I recall a member here running 20psi, with a bunch of mods on his daytona and getting 14.2 or something like that!
Plus your FWD if you put a lot of power on that car with no good tires, suspesion you will bust burn outs all through 3rd gear if you are going to be THAT FAST...
You might know all this, but just tell us the story AFTER you beat him :thumbsup:

finboy
11-04-2002, 04:02 PM
he isn't taking suspension into affect.

i'm looking at REALLY stiffening up the back end, getting some fwd slicks, 20-23 psi (have to tune right to fugure it out), and ditching more weight where i can.

his car is your basic throw parts on it. it really shouldn't be too powerful from all the mods he has said. he is also adding stereo equiptment. more weight.

and believe me, my engine isn't my biggest concern. i am lookig into revisisng the rear suspension, getting a new trans axle so it won't break while i am out of town, bigger i/c, practicing launching, improving my shifts (still can't do it fast enough). etc.

for the engine, porting intake and exhaust manifold, bigger throttle body, and 40% larger injectors. the rest is done already.

btw, for tires he runs used tires.

the previous owner supposedly ran my car to a 15 flat at race city at 15 psi. i didn't get to the track because of mechanical issues.

i'm wondering how much psi i can run with my non-forged internals. the 89+ tII's had forged internals, but mine is a 2.5 converted to tII (garrett turbo, intercooled, basically).

finboy
11-04-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Toma
A great 350 in a 3500 pound car will run mid 11's at sea level, mid 12's if its a good 350, and mid a 13's if it is a marginal 350. A hunk of crap 350 will be in the 15's.

Toma

hunk of crap 350 :D

he is throwing all his money at the engine, and a shift kit.

my engine is mostly done, so i can focus on suspension and traction.

he is also buying a use 10 bolt with posi, but when you are using crappy shocks, and used tires, it makes me think it will just be spinning tires.

Davan
11-04-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by finboy

it makes me think it will just be spinning tires.

That's exactly what he'll be doing.

When running high horsepower in a heavy V8, you really have to take care of wieght transfer and rubber.

finboy
11-04-2002, 04:32 PM
btw

the power would be going through a 300,000+km th350 and a used 10 bolt posi rear end, with pre-used tires.

he might get some edlbrock gas shocks, but i can't see that saving him after the corners he is cutting.

Davan
11-04-2002, 04:35 PM
That right. Sounds like he's got dreams of glory, but cheaping out trying to get there.

He'll find out.... the hard way! ;)

finboy
11-04-2002, 04:40 PM
hehehe, stock 1977 heads and low compression.

on another note, i know muscle car guys have been using ajustable rancho shocks, would these fit my daytona.

i'm pondering an in car ajustable rear suspension, but i have to know it the rancho's will fit.

SmelltheRubber
11-04-2002, 09:14 PM
This should be a interesting race to say the least...

VWhooligan
11-05-2002, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Those camaro's were one of the slowest vehicles i've ever been in. Automatic, but slow as hell. Seriously.

they're not that slow... i have a friend who just recently sold his 78 camaro auto 350. he did some work to it and it was decent... not 13's or 14's, but fast compared to a normal car.

5.9 R/T
11-05-2002, 01:09 AM
those late seventies camaros had less then 200hp and less then 300ft/lbs of tq. I've raced one, they are slow. Even with the mods he listed I don't think he'd run any faster then high 14's IF THAT. Those engines are so emmisions strangled by 'slow burn' heads that it takes a head swap or head work done to get them really moving. You won't have a problem.

finboy
11-05-2002, 01:13 AM
i told him he needs new heads, but aluminum hi flow replacements cost a ton.

hopefully by the time he can afford those i will have a car with the advantage of AWD :drool:

300rwhp
11-08-2002, 12:26 AM
I have no idea what your mods are going to run for you, but for him, if he can hook up with some good drag radials, then he's definetly looking at 12's.
NO SORRY , unfortuanatly you are very very wrong.my friend has a 79 camaro with the same mods as that plus a couple more and his best is 15.2 at race city.

I have an old 5 litre mustang at home, in the garage. Just waiting for parts to roll in. A similar combo in my Mustang, with enough suspension to hook it up will be easy 12's, even at this elevation it's very possible. It doesn't take much to get power from those old carb'ed V8s.'

unfortuanately even more wrong , ( i have a 5 litre mustang) with that combo in an old 5.0 you will be very lucky to see 14's. but i dont hink you could. mustangs have crazy potential to be insane fast but not easy. im not saying with those mods it would be a slow car , it would hall ass, but not even remotly close to the 12 second range , especially with only drag radials ( not slicks). get some heads, rear end gears and slicks( with the other mods) then your lookin at easy high 12's low 13's.

300rwhp
11-08-2002, 12:28 AM
keep in mind he could still get to the 12's alot cheaper than finboy could with a turbo. he just wont with that combo.
my bets on anything running 22 psi smoking a 79 camaro with very basic bolt ons.

Davan
11-08-2002, 10:04 AM
Read this article, it's pretty good:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/02/mouse/index1.shtml

Basically, the guy has the exact same car as my mustang.

He did these mods:

Weight reduction
2 rear Radial tires
8.8" rear end with 3.55 gears - from a junked 86
4bbl carb
intake manifold
air cleaner
headers
dual exhaust
home maid ram air

And the car ran 13.96 @ 96.8 mph!

With a properly rebuilt/tuned up motor, I can see cams and drag radials getting him very very very close to 12's.

300rwhp
11-08-2002, 06:41 PM
sorry there is no chance that cams will give you a full second in the quarter. 86's didn't come with 355 gears. and there are many mustang guys in this city with that combo almost exactly and its good for high 14's. that is also a low mph for 13.9. it si 96 and i can run 95 mph trap speeds at only 14.8. what kind of weight reduction is done? the only way i can think of him getting this time is if it was at sea leavel and he had nothing in his car but an engine steering wheel and one seat. trust me i wish it were possible to get a stang into the twelves that easy.dont get me wrong high 14's is very fast compared to most cars out there but in a different league than 12's.

300rwhp
11-08-2002, 06:41 PM
also there is only on cam, so i dont think "cams" will do much help.

300rwhp
11-08-2002, 06:51 PM
i just reaqd the article and he did gut his car almost completely. and his mods were different than what you listed. this is not a street car . you forgot to mention that he doesn't even have mufflers ( 2 cherri bombs) he also has ported everything, heads, intake manifold, headers. you have to mention the heads because that will make the biggest difference of all. this car probably did run 13.9 but its mods are alot more extensive than the ones on the camaro that was originaly the point of this post, that was supposed to run 12's:bullshit: , sorry about aying that 86's didnt come with 355's beacuse i read that they were aftermarket. keep in mind all of these home made mods and he is still not close to 12's.

drox
11-08-2002, 08:19 PM
i'm wondering how much psi i can run with my non-forged internals. the 89+ tII's had forged internals, but mine is a 2.5 converted to tII (garrett turbo, intercooled, basically).Ugh... are you talking about a rx7 turbo ii?

finboy
11-08-2002, 10:24 PM
nope. the turbo dodge 8 valves where broken down into two types.

T1 - mitsubishi turbo, non intercooled, cast internals, 2.2 or 2.5L
T2 - Garrett turbo, intercooled, forged internals on some years, 2.2L.

mine was a T1 2.5 partially converted to t2, but no forged internals.

LancerShelby
11-09-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by finboy
nope. the turbo dodge 8 valves where broken down into two types.

T1 - mitsubishi turbo, non intercooled, cast internals, 2.2 or 2.5L
T2 - Garrett turbo, intercooled, forged internals on some years, 2.2L.

mine was a T1 2.5 partially converted to t2, but no forged internals.

The only forged part was the crank. All rods and pistons are cast, no matter what year. Your 2.5 will handle 300+hp if tuned right and you don't detonate AT ALL!! Forged pistons will handle a little more pinging, but not much when your running lots o' boosty. I've built a stock 2.5 bottom end for my car, and I plan on 20psi like last year, but with a custom computer, 3 bar MAP sensor and 52lb/hr injectors. I just couldn't swing the $500US tag for forged pistons, when stock ones are $100CDN.

finboy
11-09-2002, 09:36 PM
i'll probably be happy with 22 psi.what i'm wondering is how gus mahon ran 27.5 psi.

race gas?

it is at the track, so i might get some into my tank. :thumbsup: :burnout: