PDA

View Full Version : What Tires you guys running??? Experiences???

WBB6
06-11-2002, 12:59 AM
I've had alot of tires, most of them sucked...

- BF Euro T/A (on my old civic) *good tire at the time (only one with a 40 series)

- Bridgestone RE-92 (Stock Tires on alot of cars) *SUCK*:thumbsdow

- Pirelli P7000 *pretty good*:dunno:

- Pirelli P7000 Supersport (all season) *SUCK*:thumbsdow

- Advan 032R *Awesome track tire* *Shitty street tire* Super loud...and BAD in the rain!!!

- Yokohama Parada *Awesome* these tires are awesome so far I've had them on the highway to edmonton in the snow...around the city, and on the track...Best all around tire so far!!! :thumbsup:

Ben
06-11-2002, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by WBB6
I've had alot of tires, most of them sucked...

- Yokohama Parada *Awesome* these tires are awesome so far I've had them on the highway to edmonton in the snow...around the city, and on the track...Best all around tire so far!!! :thumbsup:

Thats an excellent tire, I cruised around in a GTI with those on it, and damn, it gripped like a mother fark!

Clem
06-11-2002, 01:24 AM
Michelin Pilot Sports - Awesome

Toyo T1-S - Awesome

4wheeldrift
06-11-2002, 06:58 AM
Toyo T1-S - fantastic tire. Excellent grip from the get-go, no need for them to heat up to grip well. Extremely good rain tire too. Worked excellent for autocross and road course use. Only downside is it was noisy.

Kumho Ecsta 712 - Very impressed with these. Almost the same level of grip as the T1-S but $100 less per corner in my size. Also a very loud tire but once again very good in the rain/deep water.

Bridgestone RE-92 - quite possibly the worst tire I have ever driven on.

Nokian Hakka 1 - fantastic snow tires. Excellent grip on ice too.

redline
06-11-2002, 08:03 AM
Toyo T1-S - one of the best for the money street, rain, track.

2000impreza
06-11-2002, 08:27 AM
falken grb tune 2-good dry and wet weather. sticks like crazy. tread wear sucks ass.

RE-92 ok for dry summer weather. wet they suck. winter they caused me to slide into a curb. wrecked control arm, hub, bearings, seals......etc :banghead:

nokian nrw-good grip in snow and ice. good tread wear.

Davan
06-11-2002, 09:02 AM
All I can say is the stock Eagle RSA's on the Z24 are the worst tire I have ever had... And the BF Goodrich Radial TA's on my Mustang are the stickiest bastards for straight-line racing I've used. :)

rage2
06-11-2002, 09:36 AM
I really like the Toyo T1-S's. I'm on my 5th set on the SLK now. They do wear out a bit quick for my tastes though (close to S-02 level on the 944). The Toyo's are decent in the rain, but they're shit when they start to wear. Oh, and the hydroplaning in standing water, quite scary.

I'm using Kumhos on the 944 now, and it's a mediocre tire. I did get really good traction down the drag strip though, not sure if it was the tire or if Race City actually prepped the launch surface really nice that day. Haven't driven the Kumho's in the rain at all.

I'll be getting Kumho's next on the SLK so I can do a back to back comparison. I'm trying to see if I can wear out the T1-S's within a month (about 65% worn already after 2 weeks).

I miss my S-02's. Can't afford them especially for autocrossing. They were very grippy when cold or hot in the dry, and just mindboggling in the rain (before they start wearing out...)

B18C
06-11-2002, 09:44 AM
Parada Spec-2's: Pretty happy with these tires. Good price, good grip, but noisy and not impressive in the rain.

Redlyne_mr2
06-11-2002, 10:09 AM
Paradas, hate them, fien for just cruising around but suck for high speed driving and cornering.
I want to go with the s02's or the falken azenis st-115's those are both supposed to be qicked tires!
I can't believe you front wheel drive guys like the paradas, my best friend has them on his type R and he can't stand them either

B18C
06-11-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Paradas, hate them, fien for just cruising around but suck for high speed driving and cornering.
I want to go with the s02's or the falken azenis st-115's those are both supposed to be qicked tires!
I can't believe you front wheel drive guys like the paradas, my best friend has them on his type R and he can't stand them either

Well I haven't really had much experience with any other tire other than my Parada spec2's so I really don't have a point for compairison :dunno:

I don't think you can really compare s02's to Parada's though. s02's are like twice as expensive

ugotahondaeh?
06-11-2002, 11:58 AM
i need a set of 215/35/18's... anyone know a really good place to buy tires for cheap? my budget is kinda tight... not like all you high ballers out there! :rolleyes:

E36M3
06-11-2002, 12:23 PM
S02s- Fantastic tires, especially in the dry. Grip very well, great feedback, a little uneasy in the rain. The biggest downside of this tire is that they wear so fast.

Dry 9/10
Wet 7/10

S03s- See S02s. slightly improved dry grip, slightly improved wet grip. wear quickly

Dry 9/10
Wet 8/10

RE730s- Fantastic grip, wet & dry, much longer tread life than S02/S03 tires.

Dry 8.5/10
Wet 9/10

Ekliptix
06-11-2002, 12:48 PM
I like my Potanza RE 950's. Their 60 series sidewall doesn't help though, but they're great in the rain. They do hang on really well before they start to squeal. I got them because they seemed to be the best all around tire for my ultra cool 14" steelies.

Before, I had Aurora winter tires on the front, and I can confidantly say that it's really great to have a set of winter tires in the winter, because these Potenzas are horrible in the snow.

rage2
06-11-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
S02s- Fantastic tires, especially in the dry. Grip very well, great feedback, a little uneasy in the rain.

Really? It's weird, the S2000 guys are complaining about S02 performance in the rain as well. When I had S-02 (non PP) on the 944, the car was god in the rain. I can take corners at really good speeds, blowing by everybody. Hell, I flew through standing water at 220km/h without hydroplaning. Drove back from Edmonton to Calgary in heavy rain, about 1hr 45 mins.

When the tire wore down though, about 70% worn, it's quite slippery in the rain. I spun out on the turnoff from 5th Ave to Memorial Dr. east. The bumpy road, worn tires, and heavy right foot kicked the tail out quite fast... complete 360 without hitting anything, and didn't even stall! =)

kenny
06-11-2002, 01:19 PM
Michelin Pilot Sports, drove to Vancouver through hail, rain and snowstorm at "decent" speeds and they were quite good. During the white out blizzard snow storm up in the mountains, I had cruise control at 120 and it was quite stable going in a straight line but on lane changes I would lose traction and traction control would kick in and shut off cruise control for me. I hydroplaned once passing a couple big rigs and a bunch of cars all at once--hit a semi large puddle going at a "very very decent speed".

The tires did better than I thought through the various stormy weather conditions, and the best thing of all, we drove through the rain and hail storm with the top down and didn't even get wet at all! We did put the top up right before the snowstorm though (what a good decision that little rest stop proved to be).

Weapon_R
06-11-2002, 01:38 PM
Running Michelin Pilots and they are great tires. Good handling, sticks to the road pretty good.

max_boost
06-11-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by kenny
--hit a semi large puddle going at a "very very decent speed".

What the hell is a very very decent speed?:rofl:

Anyway, stock tires bridgestone potenza re92s on my lude almost killed me twice! They suck ass!No BS!

Testify fellow lude owners!:thumbsdow

2000impreza
06-11-2002, 08:02 PM
with the stock RE92's i had a few close calls. got into one accident and caused more than $3k in damage before got rid of them.

kenny
06-11-2002, 08:10 PM
Don't blame the RE92's, slow down. :angel:

2000impreza
06-11-2002, 08:21 PM
Don't blame the RE92's, slow down. :angel:

yeah but its easier to blame the tires :devil:. should have seen the rims. cracked two and slightly curbed one.

RSeXy
06-11-2002, 10:29 PM
i'll have to agree with Kenny on this one!

but the stock tires on the RSX are bad...and i never speed! haha :angel:

WBB6
06-12-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

What the hell is a very very decent speed?:rofl:

Anyway, stock tires bridgestone potenza re92s on my lude almost killed me twice! They suck ass!No BS!

Testify fellow lude owners!:thumbsdow

I Totally Agree, Bridestone RE92's Suck ASS!!!

spyguy
06-12-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by WBB6

I Totally Agree, Bridestone RE92's Suck ASS!!!

no doubt....those things are terrible! but what do you expect from a stock tire right?

spyguy
06-12-2002, 11:40 AM
I'm running kumho 712s as welll...as i can say is CHEAP....best bang for buck...but as 4wheeldrift said they're loud as hell.... but if youre welfare like me...they do the job! :thumbsup:

legendboy
06-12-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by spyguy

no doubt....those things are terrible! but what do you expect from a stock wheel right?

I had them when I first got my integra, there ass burgers.:thumbsdow

kenny
06-12-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by spyguy

no doubt....those things are terrible! but what do you expect from a stock tire right?

I expect lots from a stock tire! and well I get alot too haha, Michelin Pilot Sports were my stock tire. Too bad the car didn't come stock with a set of Nitto Drag Radials or something. :burnout:

redline
06-12-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by RSeXy
i'll have to agree with Kenny on this one!

but the stock tires on the RSX are bad...and i never speed! haha :angel:

I thought the RSX tires were not that bad on the type s. They worked alright on the road course.

4wheeldrift
06-12-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

I had them when I first got my integra, there ass burgers.:thumbsdow
I've driven on grippier hockey pucks...can't top Speedracer's Motomaster AW+ at the evolution school last year. Ran the thing for two days, something like 40+ autocross runs and he hadn't even worn the mold nubs of of them yet :)

speedracer
06-12-2002, 11:28 PM
Don't knock those Motomaster AW+. They drove like a dream:rofl:

Here's my opinion on tires I've driven.
Tires:
Escata 712: Not sure why people complain about those tires. Driven on the track and AutoX I've found the tire very good. Not as good as say R tires but I was surprised at the level of grip. Even while driving on the street it picks up rocks like an R tire and throws them out. I'd say it fits in the excellant catgory given the price.
(They are no S02 /S03 by comparision :D)

A520/Parada - Bleh. Good for rain on full tread and that's about it. And a HEAVY tire. On a very HOT day the tire performs excellant.

P7000 (summer). When you heat the tire up it provided very good grip. But that tire is too $$ to replace.
Rain - excellant

Motormaster AW+: 1 years worth of racing in 2 days and still lots of tread left :) How's that for tread life!

Goodyear RSA: hmmmm I'd give it 2 stars over the Motormasters... lol

Competition Tires:
A032R: :nut: Only good for rain (On the track of course) ** It is a rain tire after all.

V700: Now this is a R tire. :D

RA1: Much ... much more grip than the A032R on the dry.

boi-alien
06-14-2002, 10:05 AM
i'd have to go with Toyo T1-S awesome grip i love em!!

5.9 R/T
06-14-2002, 10:56 AM
Goodyear RSA's are ASS! Never ever ever again will one of these tires touch a vehicle of mine. :bullshit:

speedracer
06-14-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
Goodyear RSA's are ASS! Never ever ever again will one of these tires touch a vehicle of mine. :bullshit:
hehehehehe I wonder how long the CPS will still be using them as stock tires...

RiceCake
06-14-2002, 11:31 AM
Michelin Pilot Sports, drove to Vancouver through hail, rain and snowstorm at "decent" speeds and they were quite good. During the white out blizzard snow storm up in the mountains, I had cruise control at 120 and it was quite stable going in a straight line but on lane changes I would lose traction and traction control would kick in and shut off cruise control for me. I hydroplaned once passing a couple big rigs and a bunch of cars all at once--hit a semi large puddle going at a "very very decent speed".

The tires did better than I thought through the various stormy weather conditions, and the best thing of all, we drove through the rain and hail storm with the top down and didn't even get wet at all! We did put the top up right before the snowstorm though (what a good decision that little rest stop proved to be).

damn it was getting cold up there in the snow and all... didn't deel too much od a slide tho... good choice on tires ken! :thumbsup:

rage2
06-14-2002, 12:26 PM
Update on the Toyo T1-S.

New record! Wore out a set in 3 weeks, 2 AutoX events, 1 roadcourse lapping day, and a bunch of hard driving on the streets!

RSeXy
06-14-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by redline

I thought the RSX tires were not that bad on the type s. They worked alright on the road course.

its a premium...i dunno if the type-S has different tires? but yeah, the one's on mine really suck! getting all seasons..haha

spyguy
06-14-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Update on the Toyo T1-S.

New record! Wore out a set in 3 weeks, 2 AutoX events, 1 roadcourse lapping day, and a bunch of hard driving on the streets!

pfftt if you wanna waste money like that....give it to me!!!!!!!!!! I won't mind the contribution :thumbsup:

4wheeldrift
06-15-2002, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Update on the Toyo T1-S.

Yikes! Took me five months to kill mine, and that was including A LOT more racing than that :D

Recipe to kill a set of T1-S:

Run no less than 16 solo 2 events in Calgary, Red Deer and Edmonton in one year (average, 4 runs per event, call that 64 runs, and probably a low estimate)

Drive to winnepeg for the solo 2 national event where I add another 12 runs on a 70 second course on top of a 3000 km round trip.

Took the evolution school. Over 40 runs in two days, plus red deer and back twice.

One lapping day, around 50 laps of the road course on already bald toyo T1-S.

I don't know why you are going through these things so fast shelton? Mine held up just fine :)

rage2
06-15-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
I don't know why you are going through these things so fast shelton? Mine held up just fine :)

You should've seen Kenny and I on the first few sessions on the roadcourse, it was like option drift videos out of turn 2 and 3 =). I dunno, the 2 AutoX sessions, the tires really took a beating. I was driving really hard though, I trail braked into corners to get the rear end to slide out slightly to improve my line, and powered out early to get a good exit. I have a goal in AutoX right now, to match Anthony and Matt's times hehe.

The roadcourse, it was a really warm day, and I drove way too hard (for a lapping day hehe). I wanted to see if I could match Kenny's time in his car, but we didn't have timers, and we didn't run together. Oh well... =)