PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Engine

KGB
07-29-2004, 11:09 AM
My engine bay is very dirty, i am going to wash it at those coin operated do it yourself places. do i need to cover any angine parts such as alternator etc should my engine run while i spray it down with water? i just dont want to mess up my engine. Also thinking about using Gunk engine cleaner, any recomendations on what cleaner to use? Thanks

QuasarCav
07-29-2004, 11:26 AM
I cover my coils, my air filter and i dont spray at those places directly.

I also leave my car running during this, but thats up to you.

djfob
07-29-2004, 11:32 AM
I used gunk and it worked great. I cleaned my engine when it was cold and only covered my air filter and distributer. I just didn't directly spray the battery or alternator. After I sprayed my engine down I started it right away and idled it for a few minutes.

boostfed
07-29-2004, 04:10 PM
Simple green works amazing. Spray down your engine with this stuff, let it sit for a while, hose it off. Go after the small spots with a toothbrush if you want a spot free show car shine, but otherwise just give er the green. I usually do it once a month, it keeps everything spotless.

bigboom
07-29-2004, 04:17 PM
do what boostfed suggested just use simple green and spray it on to your enginge then take a hose and hose it off. after that you can take a cloth and get at the places that are still dirty.

GTS Jeff
07-29-2004, 07:19 PM
i always just use a rag and some armorall

happydude
07-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Gunk worked really well for me. Had my car off and covered up the alternator and intake filter, and I was ready to go. Make sure to rinse the engine bay VERY well after using Gunk, or it'll take a couple weeks to burn off and stink like hell.

HellfireR6
09-19-2004, 01:48 AM
everyone always forgets.... cover the distributor cap, man u dont wanna get water in there.... have fun driving if u do:burnout:

blinkme_210
09-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Cover up your distributor with a simple rag, and spray Gunk liberally over all the parts of the engine. When you pressure spray it, go around the distributor, and don't directly spray at the air intake. Spray the engine very thoroughly, or else there will be this slimy oil left behind, because when the water evaporates, the Gunk crap is left behind. Start up the car, then use the pressure air lines or whatever the hell they're called and spray off the excess water.

If you can't crank over the engine, there's water in the distributor cap. Un-latch the distributor cap and air spray it out dry.

HellfireR6
09-22-2004, 11:17 PM
try the Gunk citrus foam, works better than the normal liquid style type and easy to wash off and makes ur engine look spotless!

ghosts-10
09-26-2004, 07:35 PM
to get in the hard to reach areas, use a Crest Spin Brush. Saves some time