PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Gasket

Rascal32xx
07-29-2004, 05:37 PM
I have a Merkur XR4ti, but i have a problem that continues to be a problem! There is this gasket that fits between the exhaust manifold, and the turbo. This gasket will not stop blowing! It stays there fine for a week and then all of a sudden i have a humungous exhaust leak. Also, i have no idea how this happened but the nuts holding down my turbobacking to the exhaust manifold completely loosened themselves and had come off with in a week of me putting on the new gasket, and new bolts/nuts.

legendboy
07-29-2004, 05:49 PM
its because either the manifold or turbo flange is warped. once there is a small leak the steel gasket will burn out.

Rascal32xx
07-29-2004, 05:52 PM
How do you propose i fix that?

Inthered
07-29-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Rascal32xx
I have a Merkur XR4ti, but i have a problem that continues to be a problem! There is this gasket that fits between the exhaust manifold, and the turbo. This gasket will not stop blowing! It stays there fine for a week and then all of a sudden i have a humungous exhaust leak. Also, i have no idea how this happened but the nuts holding down my turbobacking to the exhaust manifold completely loosened themselves and had come off with in a week of me putting on the new gasket, and new bolts/nuts.

For the gasket problem, you could get the manifold and turbo flange ground down so that they're completely flat and level. That should eliminate your blown gasket. Make sure you buy a new gasket while you're at it.

Instead of using nuts/bolts for your manifold, use threaded studs. I don't know if your car has metric or imperial bolts on it, but use the corresponding thread pitch for the manifold w/nuts.

Hope that helps.

WGR4Pussies
07-29-2004, 11:45 PM
take the manifold and turbo to the a machine shop to get them machined flat, use lock washers on the bolts you install and get a new gasket.

a simple solution would be to get 2 gaskets and tighten down the bolts real tight, works awesome for me. :D

pressure_ratio
08-02-2004, 07:56 PM
make sure that the surfaces are absolutly clean.The next time you pull the manifold lay a straight edge across the surface,any more than a few thou is to much,you could also use a sanding block with some fine paper to see how bad it's warped.One thing that sometimes makes a difference is make sure that you tighten the bolts from the center out and tightent them evenly.One last thing is make sure the gasket isn't blowing out because you have too much backpressure(partly blocked catalytic)I've seen that on a few cars before.

LUDELVR
08-02-2004, 09:57 PM
I had this problem too, but mine was a result of the bolts backing out. I've had two blow out and to remedy this, I just tighten the bolts every now and then. :thumbsup: But yah, it's a pain the ass when they blow! stinks and sounds like ass!:thumbsdow

tsi_neal
08-03-2004, 12:01 AM
level the surface, get a new gasket and put some locking star washers on the bolts. That should pretty much eliminates them from backing off