PDA

View Full Version : Could I have found this out without losing $100 CAD

Kamikid
07-30-2004, 07:56 AM
A co-worker of mine was selling me his car, a 1991 Buick Regal 2Dr. So we took it to Midas to have it certified and it was going to cost $2000 to get everything fixed! He told me that it wouldn't need much and I trusted him so I paid to have it done. Was there any other way I could have found out the same thing without losing my money?

Redlyne_mr2
07-30-2004, 08:38 AM
Learn more about cars. And BTW that midas shop in Barrie is full of idiots who overcharge in every possible way

Kamikid
07-30-2004, 08:56 AM
I dont know much about cars mechanically to tell what it needs. I've never owned a car before so it's a little hard. I just need a way of telling if a car is a going to pass certification without having to spend $100 each time. :(

QuasarCav
07-30-2004, 09:04 AM
If its really screwed up you will be able to tell.

Head down to the library and pick up some basic mechanics book, It really helps when people are trying to screw you.

Heres some basics:
-look for repaired damage. i.e; uneven spots, shitty paint, poor fitting trim, bent parts.

-check for rust. Strut towers, wheel wells, trunk, door panels.

-Pop the hood and check all fluids, inquire about service records and/or last oil change.

-Also check for leakage or seepage from major gaskets and lines.
-Does the engine look in good shape?
-How are the suspension. rock the car on each corner, it should bounce no more than once and return. Any creaks or squeeks while doing this?

If you dont know what most of these parts are then start reading, there is much more than this and it just takes time to learn whats going on.

turbo_equiped
07-30-2004, 09:10 AM
Do you have any friends who are into cars like this? Mechanical and stuff? They might have their own workshops. You could just take it to them. Some people just do it for free. Others will charge almost nothing.

roopi
07-30-2004, 09:12 AM
$100 seems rather expensive. When I was selling my car here in Alberta last year the buyer wanted an inspection done and I managed to get it for $39.95 and it was good enough for the insurance company.

GTS Jeff
07-30-2004, 10:10 AM
u can try to get the seller to do the inspection. after all, theyre the ones ones trying to get rid of the car. as the buyer, u pretty much have their nuts on a chain.

hjr
07-30-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
u can try to get the seller to do the inspection. after all, theyre the ones ones trying to get rid of the car. as the buyer, u pretty much have their nuts on a chain.
whurrrd. but in the end, you payed 100 bucks and avoided a fucked up car. pretty good deal no matter how you cut it. Next time phone around to find the best price on an inspection. if you talk with smaller garages you may be able to haggle the price down a bit. In the end you should make the seller shell out for an inspection, cause even if you dont buy the car, the next person will want one, so why should you pay to help them out. Are you that nice a person?

Skylinelover
07-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Well at one of the dealerships here it costs 89.50 or something like that to get a car inspected.

FiveFreshFish
07-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Next time, offer this: You pay for the inspection if the report is favorable and you end up buying the car. He pays for the inspection if the car has got too many problems and he retains the report while you walk away.

BBMac
08-01-2004, 01:02 PM
sure you lost 100 dollars to the inspection but would you rather have lost 500 or more for what your friend wanted you to pay for the car? Just ask him to pay for half cause he bullshitted you and if he tells you to fuck off so be it and count your blessings you aren't into the car for the 2000 quoted.

barmanjay
08-01-2004, 01:16 PM
100 is pretty pricey for an in-province inspection,... I think the average rate around here is about $40,... but for an out-of-province inspection,... closer to $100 may be viable.

As for $2000 worth of work to get it right?

how bad of shape was this car in? do you still have the inspection sheet?

I'm curious as to what they failed.