PDA

View Full Version : factory imobilizer + compustar

nmack
07-30-2004, 08:23 AM
i am looking to get a remote starter, with good range and 2way... and i think $500 installed for the compustar is a good deal, i dont care too much about the alarm, because like everyone says... if the thief wants your car, he/she will get it even if you have an alarm.

i was just wondering with the imobilizer, i will ahve to give up 1 key (my mazda3 only comes with 2..no valet). what exactly is done with this key?

is it cut open and the chip is taken out? or what?

lets say someone breaks in, disables alarm... can they hot wire the car since the bypass is in place? or will the imobilizer still work?

QuasarCav
07-30-2004, 08:57 AM
they wont be able to hot wire it. I think the immobilizer has to recieve a signal beofre it will power the starter.

I could be wrong, other people are more knowledgeable

Velox
07-30-2004, 09:22 AM
the imobilizer basically kills off your starter so when the alarm is triped you won't be able to start the car ... as for giving up a key yes you have to on the new mazda 3's you can either use one of the keys you have or get one cut at the dealership ... the key is not cut open or anything it sits in a transponder unit used to relay the keys chiped signal sent before the remote start will work

bigboom
07-30-2004, 09:34 AM
using the compustar basically gets rid of your factory immobilizer system.

bighead2267
07-30-2004, 09:26 PM
not necessary, u can store the key in the dashboard somewhere to send signal. just make sure the install guy do it instead of bypass it. b'coz it will be less work.
if u concern ppl will find the key, best u can do is cut the key and just leave the plastic part in the dashboard, the disadvantage for your car is if it need to be recall and they reprogram it. it will be another hassle, so it's your call.
make sure u find a guy that know what they a doing. and as we all know. the alarm is only prevent stupid thief. not professional one. good luck and hope this help