PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor purchase help

serusnak
07-30-2004, 09:41 AM
I have been debating on which air compressor I should get. With it, I want to be able to use dual action sanders with it, and get an air compressor that can keep up the cfm for the dual action. I also want to use the compressor to shoot paint, and use other air tools like ratchets and impact wrenches, all that fun stuff. The paint guns and most of the air tools' requirements of a compressor is somewhat low compared to a dual action sander.

The sanders I've looked at range from the 8.0's to 10.0's cfm, sometimes more at 90 psi (i think that is what the psi is at for that cfm) and getting a compressor that can keep up with that is really expensive. A really big one would be able to run all those air tools no problem, while if I get a smaller one, it'd be able to run everything BUT the dual action sander without running out of breath.

My boyfriend thinks I should get a electric sander and just get a small air compressor for the rest of the tools.

My mechanic boss thinks I should just put up with the small compressor, stop and wait for it to catch up its breath before proceeding more on the air sander.

What should I do?? I'm trying to make an educated choice. The $800 ones only run mostly at 5, 6, or sometimes 7 cfm if I'm lucky. The prices go higher on the bigger ones.

And when the time comes and I decide to go out and get a compressor, what kind of brand would be good? I tried searching for info in the form on air compressors and didn't find much, mostly newbie questions. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great!

turboMiata
07-31-2004, 02:27 AM
Why not try looking for a used one? Dun go with the small compressor and "wait for it to catch up". it's a big PITA. I have a 5CFM compressor and even using an impact wrench on it I needed to wait 10-20 sec.

Maxt
07-31-2004, 06:50 AM
Get the biggest one you can afford, on the biggest tank you can fit... The smaller the tool the more air it uses suprisingly enough, a die grinder eats a ton of air, more than say a ratchet or impact..
I have a 5hp on a 60 gallon tank, its a high speed compressor and is rated at 12 cfm at 90 psi, and sometimes its not enough when I do alot of porting and grinding, it runs sanders though no problem....The best deal I have ever seen on them was at costco, the ones Princess auto sells are junk, the home depot ones aren't much better. Eagle compressors are built locally, but they pass alot of oil through the pistons and are not great for paint work, devillbiss is the brand to buy for clean steady air...Maxt

serusnak
07-31-2004, 08:22 AM
Hmm, what about those campbell compressors? They seem decent.

I'll most definitely check out costco, that's for sure! Some compressors claim that they are oil less, that air tools don't need to be lubed and they don't have to be drained, or whatever- are there things I should watch out for before purchasing a compressor?

I wouldn't mind purchasing devilbiss, though I would think they would be expensive. I guess autobody is expensive, hey, but totally worth it in the long run :thumbsup:

barmanjay
07-31-2004, 10:04 PM
I've used lots of different types of compressors,.... I'm in construction so I have a decent idea on what's good for automotive tools out there,.... the closest/smallest compressor that packs a decent punch is a twin tank 'King' compressor,.. and if you can find an old 60 gal tank to tee off into it,... you're laughin.

I use this compressor right now to spray texture on ceilings,... goes on like stink!!!

If I remember reading the stats,......

6.5 cfm @ 40 psi
5.4 cfm @ 90 psi

last I seen,... in a flyer i think it was totem or maybe home depot that had them on sale for like 3 bills,... it is a oiled compressor,... oil-less is better for painting,... less contamination,... but when your shooting nails through 2x6's, or spraying 100lbs of texture on a ceiling, who the heck cares!

I won't say it's the best for automotive,... but it's the most handy/portable for what it offers.

I do use it with my air tools,... and i'm looking for a bigger tank to tee off aswell.

I see you're lookin for work,... i have a couple of nasty-ass small renovations comming up if you're interested,... it'll make your arms cry with pain,... LOL, about 2 weeks work. pm me

bighead2267
08-01-2004, 12:20 AM
i'm looking to get one as well, mainly purpose is change tires, some machanic use. be honest, i'm not a heavy user, so just reasonable is fine. any recommendation. is the Cosco one anygood, what kinda price range i should be looking for? thank you for the advise............

Maxt
08-01-2004, 06:38 AM
Mine is the oil-less machine, its held up well, contrary to what some people told me when I bought it(I bought it 13 years ago), and its seen what I would say is heavy to very heavy usage.
The downside to the oil less is the noise, they are twice as loud as the the standard belt drive 1750 rpm compressors, the oil less run at 3450 rpm. When I looked at the compressors, the oil less machines were comparative to the next size up in the belt drive compressors. So a 5hp oil less had the same rating as the 7.5hp belt drive, which was what I was going to buy in the first place, except that the 7.5 hp were all 3 phase machines, which you cannot run in a home garage; unless you want to call enmax for a 3 phase residential service and get your wallet raped paying for it.
13 years ago, I paid 500+gst for my machine, I cannot guess what they are now, but I know Costco still sells the exact same compressors...Maxt

BBMac
08-01-2004, 12:43 PM
check out house of tools, every now and then there eagle compressor goes on sale for around 900 and it's rated and 18cfm so it will run an hvlp spray gun. and any sander you need it may need to catch up on some things but ultimately good choice. it's only a single stage compressor the the power bill will spike a bit but if you can get a 2-3 stage compressor compresses the sir quicker and saves ytou money on your power bill.

I am also in the same situation as you but have decided to wait it out and save for a nice sompressor that Way I only have to buy once!!!

T5Bird
08-01-2004, 07:11 PM
Budjet-wise the Husky's from Home Depot are a good deal. I've had mine for 2 years now and she still runs like new, it put some long hours in over the last two winters (4-5 hours of constant sanding/grinding 5 days a week.) I found it a tiny bit slow for sanding grinding, but it seems to have lived through it. It would keep up but would run a ton, and I was worried about overheating, but it never tripped the safegaurd. BTW they are manufactured by Campbell Hausfeld. :thumbsup: It is fine for bodywork, just be sure to get an air drier for painting.

Just my 2 cents.

serusnak
08-02-2004, 07:06 PM
I didn't know I would have to check with enmax regarding compressors, but thanks for the heads up.

Thanks, everyone, I'll be sure to check out the places and wait for a sale.

How much cfms do those hvlp guns run at compared to conventional guns? Just curious!