PDA

View Full Version : U of C Tuition WTF?!?

davidI
07-31-2004, 02:53 PM
This Fall I'm taking
FNCE 317
HROD 317
MGST 391
POLI 359
POLI 381
Tuition: $2295
Total after BS Add-ons: $2499.25

Ok...so my tuition went up to 5 grand a year. But wait,

Winter
MGST 493
MKTG 317
PLMA 375
PLMA 377
POLI 343
Tuition $2065.50
Total after BS Add-ons: $2269.75

So.....why does my first semester cost $250 more than my second semester???

P.S. $120 for UPASS is gay.

EDM
07-31-2004, 05:03 PM
UPAss is BS, i didnt even use it last year.

even tho tuition is a lot its less than american schools.

RiCE-DaDDy
07-31-2004, 05:54 PM
Wow im just registering courses at UBC and 9 courses (still gotta add one more) + fees is not even $4000 yet.

Castoh1
07-31-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by davidI

Winter
MGST 493
MKTG 317
PLMA 375
PLMA 377
POLI 343
Tuition $2065.50

P.S. $120 for UPASS is gay. [/B]

The reason your tuition is a little less for the winter is because they broke MGST 491 up into 2 classes. It's now 493 and 495 and you need to take both. They are quarter courses though so it costs a bit less. I think they should have left the course the way it was. It is a pain in the ass trying to fit two quarter courses vs. one half course into my schedule.

davidI
07-31-2004, 06:31 PM
Shity that is gay. I'm happy you told me!!

Now I'm going to be stuck at 14.75 of my 20 required credits at the end of this year. I doubt they'll let you overload with the 1/4 class either.

Castoh1
07-31-2004, 08:18 PM
I think you might be able to get away with taking them both in the same semester and then that counts as one half course. You cant take five half courses and one quarter though.

I know the topics are completely different between the classes but it seems more of a hastle to have two seperate classes.

I'm taking 493 in the fall and 495 in the winter so I'm only getting 9 credits this year.

Lanks
07-31-2004, 08:20 PM
That is nothing... Try $25,000 per year for the aviation program at MRC:eek:

davidI
07-31-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Castoh1
I think you might be able to get away with taking them both in the same semester and then that counts as one half course. You cant take five half courses and one quarter though.

I know the topics are completely different between the classes but it seems more of a hastle to have two seperate classes.

I'm taking 493 in the fall and 495 in the winter so I'm only getting 9 credits this year.

I know you can do them in the same semester. Thing is that I registered in 493 without realizing that it is a 1/4 course and now 495 is full. So really, I'm only taking 2.25 credits in the winter. Problem is, I don't think they will ever let me register in over 2.5 credits (full course load) so now I may have just added a year to my degree because of a 6 week shit course. ARG! Hopefully someone drops 495!

Toma
07-31-2004, 10:02 PM
It's funny....

my first year at U of C (15 years ago) cost me $480/ semester :eek:

Gainsbarre
07-31-2004, 10:44 PM
Have you started (or even heard about) the presession study for FNCE 317 yet? It's several hundred pages of time value of money problems that took me a while to complete. Back when I took it in fall 2003 some dude (much bigger than me -- a jock) was crying to Larry Wood because he didn't know about the presession study booklet and bombed the time value of money quiz during the first week back, which apparently caused him to get a D+ (you need at least a C- for all 317 courses). I was going to argue my A- ...I had a final grade of 90.43% and the cut off for an A is 90.45%, so yeah, I missed it by 0.02% :whipped:, but then I saw this big guy crying because he was going to have to retake the whole freaking course, so I decided to keep my mouth shut. But I hope you're taking FNCE 317 from Larry..he's really funny. Loved what he kept telling us what his middle initial stood for and how he kept poking fun at his weight.

And whatever you do, GET INTO A GOOD GROUP for MKTG 317 or else the highest attainable grade is a B. MKTG 317 = worst 317 course ever :thumbsdow

MGST 495 is a required course..so I'm pretty certain that they'll overload it for you if you ask them to.

Aleks
08-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Lanks
That is nothing... Try $25,000 per year for the aviation program at MRC:eek:

Are you taking this currently? If so how are the job prospects with a MRC diploma as opposed to going through a flying club?

davidI
08-01-2004, 01:49 PM
I didn't know there was presession study for FNCE 317....AGH. I'll have to look into that I guess. I've heard about the group problem for MKTG 317 so I'll definately be going for some keeners.

davidI
08-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Do you know where I go to get this 'presession' workbook? Will it just be in the Bookstore or..??? All it says under the registration notes is that there is a pre-session workbook that must be done but nothign about where you obtain it and there is nothing under the textbook section as of yet.

Castoh1
08-01-2004, 02:44 PM
I think you can pick the workbook up in the bookstore. I believe it says Time Value of Money on the cover and it is written by Larry Wood. I think it costs about 50 bucks.

When I took the class there was no precourse work so our workload during the semester was crazy. Have fun with MKTG 317, I had Lynn Ricker and I thought she was horrible. She might be better now though because I know just about everyone in our class ripped on her in the class evaluations.

davidI
08-01-2004, 02:54 PM
I have Lynn Ricker and I've heard the reviews that she can be a bitch. I'm even more scared because she was assistant dean last year and my uncle replaced her so maybe she'll have some pent up bitterness towards my last name. :eek:

azncutie
08-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Tuition these days are so crazy expensive. I'm paying about $2400, NOT including books. Too bad you can't boycott them

Gainsbarre
08-01-2004, 03:01 PM
Big :thumbsdow for Lynne Ricker. I think we lost a letter grade on the initial draft of our report because someone in my group put her name down as "Lynn Ricker" on the coverpage. Some other group lost marks because they put her name down as "Dr. Lynne Ricker" -- she doesn't have a PhD you see. So it might be a good idea to avoid her...actually you would be much better off if you could avoid the class all together, but it is a required core course, so we're all stuck with it.

There should be plenty of Time Value of Money books at the bookstore. The other textbook for the course (Fundamentals of Corporate Finance by Ross/Westerfield/Jordan/Roberts) isn't essential, but the index might come in handy for definitions during the exams. An old edition of the same text will suffice. Make sure that you know how to use a financial calculator to solve all of the problems in the workbook too...the TI-83 calculator that I kept from high school saved me on the FNCE 317 exams.

Castoh1
08-01-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre
Big :thumbsdow for Lynne Ricker. I think we lost a letter grade on the initial draft of our report because someone in my group put her name down as "Lynn Ricker" on the coverpage. Some other group lost marks because they put her name down as "Dr. Lynne Ricker" -- she doesn't have a PhD you see.

Haha, I think we lost marks as well on the initial report for putting Lynn Ricker down. She actually came out in class and said how dissapointed she was that some groups couldnt even take the time to spell her name right.

I'm glad that class is over with.

G
08-02-2004, 10:06 AM
This Fall I'm taking
FNCE 317
HROD 317
MGST 391
POLI 359
POLI 381
Tuition: $2295
Total after BS Add-ons: $2499.25

Ok...so my tuition went up to 5 grand a year. But wait,

Winter
MGST 493
MKTG 317
PLMA 375
PLMA 377
POLI 343
Tuition $2065.50

P.S. $120 for UPASS is gay.

At least they named it correctly...take it UP ASS. I'm so glad I done 5 years ago. It use to cost $250 a class plus books. It's getting to a point where only the rich can afford secondary schooling.

Lanks
08-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Altima:
Yes i am in the program now and it is a great program (totally worth the cash) You meet a lot of good people and the training is second to none. As for getting a job afterwards some employers like or require a diploma (or degree) while others don't care.

hampstor
08-15-2004, 09:41 AM
ah the UP-ASS. I remember when i was a student there and we had to vote for that. Almost anyone who took the bus voted, but those who drove didnt vote.

Of course it was originally only 50/semester. However every year they keep raising it :D

I'm glad to be out of that place!

sexualbanana
08-15-2004, 06:05 PM
I didn't know there was presession study for FNCE 317.....

YEah dude, the presession shit is gonna be bullshit, watched my buddies do it last year. Didn't look like fun

davidI
08-15-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

YEah dude, the presession shit is gonna be bullshit, watched my buddies do it last year. Didn't look like fun

I started doing it...not too tough but time consuming. I checked my schedule again and no where on it does it say presession study required (even though there is a column on your timetable next to all your courses labeled presess study!) Oh well.