PDA

View Full Version : Sub addon to Monsoon 200W system

Schumi
08-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Hello, well after a little research and all, I finally decided on an upgrade and had it installed yesterday. This is what I went with:

Wiring: Rockford 8 Guage - http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/ezcompare/accessories/Accessories_fullSize.asp?key=1564

Cap: Lightning Audio B10-03 - http://www.lightningaudio.com/2004/products/product.asp?prodID=151

Amp: JBL 72.2 - http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=GTO75.2&ser=GTS&cat=AMP

Enclosure: Q-Logic Ported hatchback Enclosure - http://www.qlogic.ws/2003/products/qenclosures_detail.jsp?classID=55&productID=7193

Sub: Rockford Fosgate 12" Series 2 - http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/ez2rockford/ModelInfo/ModelInfo.asp?ItemKey=10063589&CategoryDesc=Punch%20Subwoofers

Any opinions? It just fills out the whole system. I already had an upgraded 200 Watt factory Monsoon system, 8 speakers, MP3 player and all but just wanted to add some bass, and this has really added it.

I just have a few questions though. My amp has been wired up for bridged mono operation, so does that mean the mono/stereo setting should be set on mono. When I brought it home, it was on stereo, but I changed it. I also have the X-Over mode switch set to "LP." There are also other settings on the amp like "bass boost," "X-Over," and "Input Level" (all turn switches with a screwdriver). I guess these need to be tweaked since while listening on my first drive, it seems as the amp is not really cutting out, but it will pump out a ton of bass, then not at much, then back up again and so on (fluctuates a lot). I played with the settings a little and it seems to be pretty stable now. But I want to know what order should I set these settings and all to get the maximum performance. If you could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Schumi
08-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Also, which way should the sub face? I've tried both towards the cabin of the car and the rear, but I cannot tell the difference. Most of the low bass seems to be coming out of the port which faces out the box of the box.

Thanks

Weapon_R
08-02-2004, 03:11 PM
If you can't tell the difference with the way the sub faces, leave it in the position you think looks best.

Looks like a good entry level setup. I would have opted for a better sub, but i've never liked Rockford equipment. Save some money and return the cap, they are useless.

JBL makes some good amps :thumbsup:

Schumi
08-02-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
If you can't tell the difference with the way the sub faces, leave it in the position you think looks best.

Looks like a good entry level setup. I would have opted for a better sub, but i've never liked Rockford equipment. Save some money and return the cap, they are useless.

JBL makes some good amps :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. I've heard mixed reviews about the cap, some say I need it some say I don't. But I'll just have to say from experience, that a buddy of mine has a 2003 Cavalier (pretty much same car) and went through 2 alternators in 6 months. Then he added the same cap that I have and has not fried an alternator now in 14 months. That's why I went with it, whether I need it now or not if I decide to upgrade later it might come in useful I guess.

Yes it's pretty much an entry level system, and probably the one I'll keep for good. I only wanted to add some bass to fill out my stock Monsoon 200 watt stereo and this seems to do it perfectly. I'm more than happy with the results.

Do you or anyone know how to go about setting all the settings for gain, bass boost and x-over? I just want to do them in the right order and properly.

Thanks for your help.

Schumi
08-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Hey all,

Well I think I have it set up perfectly, or almost perfect from my standards. These settings are not exact at the dials only give the lowest and highest setting so these are just estimates. I have the input type set to mono (Bridged wiring). I have the X-Over set at LP (Low Pass) and the setting on the X-Over is roughly 70-80Hz. The input level is around 1.5-2V or so, roughly 1/3 the way around (lowest setting is 4V and highest is 250mV). The bass boost is pretty much at its lowest setting, I hardly moved it up.

Sounds really clear and loud now. I keep the Bass setting on my HU around 0 most of the time. If I have on classic rock or something that doesn't have a lot of bass to start with, I'll move it up to 2 or 3 (highest is 6).

BTW, how hot should the amp get? I presume if I have to pounding for a long period of time having it heat up is pretty normal. For now just to be safe, I fold down half of my rear seat so that the amp is in the cabin which can cool with the air con on (it installed on the rear seat). I guess this won't be as much of a problem in the winter when it's really cold out and the trunk is always cold.

Do you think these settings are about right, and what about the heat?

Thanks you everyone for all you help!