PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Cayenne Turbo review

Ekliptix
11-04-2002, 11:25 PM
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=reviews&loc_code=index&content_code=03900960

ugly, and too fast.

ninspeed
11-04-2002, 11:40 PM
ill be wating for the pickup version :D

Stratus_Power
11-04-2002, 11:45 PM
there is no such thing as too fast

[GaGe]
11-05-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
there is no such thing as too fast

Haha, that's what I was gonna say. But there's really no point of that much speed in an SUV. Not like you're gonna race with it, cause the car can easily flip. Also, the back of the car looks fine. The front looks like a 911 with a larger bumper, which doesn't look nice.

Yellow_Fly_Red
11-05-2002, 12:08 AM
:thumbsup:

I like it..!!!!
If I was ultra-rich...
This would be my SUV of choice.... for carrying stuff and going snowboarding with friends...
along with the new E55 AMG (476hp) 4-door sedan for the family
and the SL 55 AMG for comfortable drop-top touring,
and a 360 Modena Coupe for those sporty days....
and a 911 Turbo for the rainy days but u still want to drive a sports car....
:D

Yellow_Fly_Red
11-05-2002, 12:11 AM
oh....
I have the official Porsche brochures for the Cayenne...
and they said that the
Turbo S can lap the Nurbuering (spelling.. I'm too lazy to check).. faster than a Boxster S...
meaning this sucker can HANDLE for a big suv.....

ninspeed
11-05-2002, 12:11 AM
i like the term... vis porche 4x4

Stratus_Power
11-05-2002, 12:14 AM
hey yelow fly got any more pics of your c230 that i can take a look? really really liking your car ahah

GTS Jeff
11-05-2002, 01:10 AM
i think the vw touareg looks nicer, but damn...a 5200lbs suv that can handle so well...

Ben
11-05-2002, 01:19 AM
Like the styling or not, you cannot disagree that the Porsche SUV uis the meanest and most ferocious SUV ever built for productuion, haha

E36M3
11-05-2002, 01:36 AM
Maybe you should read the review. The 'car' accelerates, brakes and handles like a 911 Turbo. The body has virtually no lean in corners, and will rocket to top speed with very little effort.

I think Porsche just had to show BMW that they aren't the only game in town.

Honestly though, I can't imagine a more fun vehicle in snow.. cheaper than a 911 Turbo, but you can take it skiing.. hmm.

Originally posted by [GaGe]

Haha, that's what I was gonna say. But there's really no point of that much speed in an SUV. Not like you're gonna race with it, cause the car can easily flip. Also, the back of the car looks fine. The front looks like a 911 with a larger bumper, which doesn't look nice.

James
11-05-2002, 03:36 AM
That is one Damn Fast SUV!!, but its Porsche what did u expect?:burnout:

Mikko
11-05-2002, 08:23 PM
I'm guessing it's only that fast on dry pavement. That weight would be impossible to compensate for once you hit something not so ideal to drive on anymore. And heh, over 5000lbs in the snow.. I think that would suck. Depending on how thick the snow is, a Mitsubishi Evo would probably be far more fun.

E36M3
11-06-2002, 02:32 AM
Apparently it does great in the wet and on ice / in snow. It has a very low center of gravity, tons of torque, and wide tires. I can't imagine why it wouldn't do well, 5000lbs or not.

Originally posted by Mikko
I'm guessing it's only that fast on dry pavement. That weight would be impossible to compensate for once you hit something not so ideal to drive on anymore. And heh, over 5000lbs in the snow.. I think that would suck. Depending on how thick the snow is, a Mitsubishi Evo would probably be far more fun.

Mikko
11-06-2002, 01:57 PM
E36M3 - It does NOT have a "very low" center of gravity. How on earth can you make that conclusion? The adjustable suspension can lower the vehicle down to 6.3 inches or something like that. But it's still high, large, with a huge high mounted V8 engine (which on cars alone give a high center of gravity).

The wide tyres do not compensate for the weight, only parttially, on tarmac. On ice and snow, it doesn't matter. The thing weighs 2455kg. As for going on the wet and slush, wide tyres are not desirable to have.

As you can see, it's a nonsense vehicle, built for poseurs. Built only for tarmac roads. There's no way you can speed it around on wintery roads. The slippery it gets, the worse this machine is versus even old corollas with good winter tyres.

Ben
11-06-2002, 03:15 PM
its pretty damn low for a sport ute

infamous
11-06-2002, 03:20 PM
no no no benny...he was talking to e36m3...about the cayenne...not about the m3 :rolleyes: :rofl:

E36M3
11-08-2002, 03:25 PM
I haven't driven one, but I have read many reviews, and it does very well in snow and ice, according to the reviewers.

Everything is relative. Relative to an Acura (Honda) NSX, it has a very high center of gravity. Relative to other mid-full size SUVs, it is quite low. Suspension, electronics and wheel/tire packages all combine to make for excellent handling, even on snow and ice.

Although it may seem counterintuitive, you can make up for a lot of physical shortcomings with fancy electronics. Mercedes has proven that with ABC (Active Body Control) on the S/SL/CL and Porsche has apparently shown it with the Cayenne.

Until I drive one, of course, who knows?

E36M3 - It does NOT have a "very low" center of gravity. How on earth can you make that conclusion? The adjustable suspension can lower the vehicle down to 6.3 inches or something like that. But it's still high, large, with a huge high mounted V8 engine (which on cars alone give a high center of gravity).

The wide tyres do not compensate for the weight, only parttially, on tarmac. On ice and snow, it doesn't matter. The thing weighs 2455kg. As for going on the wet and slush, wide tyres are not desirable to have.

As you can see, it's a nonsense vehicle, built for poseurs. Built only for tarmac roads. There's no way you can speed it around on wintery roads. The slippery it gets, the worse this machine is versus even old corollas with good winter tyres.

e46slugmo
11-08-2002, 09:11 PM
this car is so ugly

Mikko
11-08-2002, 09:16 PM
There is no way around kinetical energy contained in a moving mass.

[GaGe]
11-08-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
Maybe you should read the review. The 'car' accelerates, brakes and handles like a 911 Turbo. The body has virtually no lean in corners, and will rocket to top speed with very little effort.

I think Porsche just had to show BMW that they aren't the only game in town.

Honestly though, I can't imagine a more fun vehicle in snow.. cheaper than a 911 Turbo, but you can take it skiing.. hmm.

Well even though there's no lean in corners, 5192 pounds wouldn't be fun to corner with.. and I still think the front's ugly.

GTS Jeff
11-08-2002, 11:04 PM
There is no way around kinetical energy contained in a moving mass. Dead physics profs around the world are rolling in their graves :banghead:

RickDaTuner
11-09-2002, 12:30 AM
looks like a good alternative to the rich mans winter beater, id take one anyday, because i would only use it in the city and the highways, not some hard core of road rally course...
thats waht subarus are for anyway right:D

Chu
11-09-2002, 02:30 PM
I love porsche and drive one too. If I was only to have one car maybe I would consider a cayenne but then again if you want to drive a porsche all year round buy a 911 C4 put winter tires on and you are fine. Buy a ski rack for a 911 C4 and you can go skiing with it too.

The question is whether a person would rather have a range rover or a porsche cayenne?

E36M3
11-09-2002, 07:21 PM
The only problem with a C4S is the ground clearance. I haven't lived in Calgary for five years, but I remember pushing out a couple stucks Porsches in the wintertime. If you don't have to drive down roads that aren't cleared by a snow plow, you'd probably be fine. If you do, though, you are hosed.

As to the issue of Range Rover vs. Cayenne, I think a more fair comparison would be to the BMW X5 4.6is. The Range Rover is far too conservative to be truly considered a direct competitor.

Originally posted by Chu
I love porsche and drive one too. If I was only to have one car maybe I would consider a cayenne but then again if you want to drive a porsche all year round buy a 911 C4 put winter tires on and you are fine. Buy a ski rack for a 911 C4 and you can go skiing with it too.

The question is whether a person would rather have a range rover or a porsche cayenne?

RiceCake
11-09-2002, 07:40 PM
never really thought I would see the day of a porsche SUV.

Interesting none the less!:)

RickDaTuner
11-10-2002, 04:07 AM
wasnt ferri and lombo doing the same thing? i remember hearing asomething about that

Stratus_Power
11-10-2002, 07:09 PM
i thought i heard about 4 doors ferrari

[GaGe]
11-10-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
i thought i heard about 4 doors ferrari

Damn, this world's falling apart. :rofl:

I'd rather ferrari and lamborghini keep building 2 doors.

Mikko
11-10-2002, 10:04 PM
Two doors? how about.. a red painted (11 layers of paint), two door, LONG BED RAISED V8 TRUCK!

:barf:

SilverRex
11-10-2002, 11:46 PM
bottom line, if they let me drive one for free.. I wont complain I'll take it any day... one in silver please.. thankyou:clap: