PDA

View Full Version : VTEC and its many iterations.

GTS Jeff
11-05-2002, 12:09 AM
Ok, so a lot of people don't really understand the many different forms of VTEC much less what it is or how it works. Anyway, I don't feel like explaining how it really works, but here are the million different forms of VTEC.

SOHC VTEC.

This is the general, run of the mill VTEC that we see in most Honduhs (Civic Si, 4 bangin Accords..). Basically, the VTEC concept is applied to the intake side of things. We reach the VTEC engagement point and BAM, oil pressure forces a little pin to engage the wild profile lobe. This VTEC is the shiet. It basically gives you DOHC performance from a SOHC engine.

VTEC-E.

The E stands for Economy. In this version of VTEC, there is actually only one cam-profile, and VTEC has nothing to do with cam-profile optimization. What happens is that at low rpms, one of the intake valves is inactive, so the combustion chamber is only running on 3 valves. Basically, this is designed to put a funky swirl on the AF mixture so that it burns more thoroughly. At higher RPMs, VTEC is used to activate the 2nd intake valve so that the engine can operate normally. With VTEC-E, you actually lose a bit of power compared to non-VTEC models.

3 STAGE VTEC.

Basically, the Honduh guys decided to combine SOHC VTEC and VTEC-E. This involves using two VTEC systems on the same engine and one activates after another to give three stages.
Stage 1-combustion chamber is on the passive lobe with 3 valves.
Stage 2-combustion chamber is on the passive lobe with 4 valves.
Stage 3-combustion chamber is on the aggressive lobe with 4 valves.
As far as I know, 3 stage VTEC is only being used on the 1.5L engine in the Ferio.

*some people seem to think that this is superior to DOHC VTEC, because DOHC VTEC is 2 stage, which is incorrect. Don't forget that 3 stage VTEC is only VTEC-E and SOHC VTEC working together.

DOHC VTEC

The Holy Grail of VTEC. VTEC technology is implemented on both the intake and the exhaust cams. Basically this is Honda's best form of VTEC, and it is purely intended for performance, not economy. You see this in Honda's performance cars (NSX, Prelude, SiR, etc)

iVTEC

This comes in SOHC and DOHC forms on a variety of Honda's new K series engines. Basically the i implies that VTEC is now supplemented with infinitely variable camshaft phasing, which continuously changes the camshaft timing depending on RPM, engine load, etc for optimum output. iVTEC is something that Honda really needs, because everyone always complains about how Honda's have no torque...but with iVTEC, you get tons of low-end torque.

Whew ok, I think I got it all...

edit:

VTECH

...a really cool phone

Ekliptix
11-05-2002, 12:15 AM
IBcopypaste. j/k

Now I know, and knowing's half the battle. - GI Joe

the stage 3 vtec sounded kinda neat.

ninjak84
11-05-2002, 12:17 AM
Well, it's good to see someone attempt to educate, and actually post correct info!
Too many "honda enthusiasts" see VTEC as an equal to nitrous.

GTS Jeff
11-05-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
IBcopypaste. j/k

Now I know, and knowing's half the battle. - GI Joe

the stage 3 vtec sounded kinda neat. haha well i did have to check a couple sites to make sure i wasnt mixing things up...but yea the 3 stage vtec is cool, but not a "performance" thing thats for sure.

buh_buh
11-05-2002, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by ninjak84
Too many "honda enthusiasts" see VTEC as an equal to nitrous.
I agree. People must be informed that VTEC > N20!!!!

///M Power
11-05-2002, 12:23 AM
Why do people put Vtec stickers on there car? Its so stupid.

GTS Jeff
11-05-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by ///M Power
Why do people put Vtec stickers on there car? Its so stupid. i dont know, but i know that was off topic...

i didnt write a fricken essay so some1 could bitch about stickers!! :banghead: :guns:

Ben
11-05-2002, 12:28 AM
Nicely written Jeff

yo clarified my thoughts on the 3stage, as someone at work had mentioned it and I had the profiles mixed up

///M Power
11-05-2002, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
i dont know, but i know that was off topic...

i didnt write a fricken essay so some1 could bitch about stickers!! :banghead: :guns:

Where did I say that I specifically was asking you? Oh, I didn't, I was asking for peoples opinion. And I got yours, stupid as usual.

Yellow_Fly_Red
11-05-2002, 12:40 AM
http://www.billzilla.org/vvtvtec.htm

Here's someone's comparison between V-TEC and VVT

GTS Jeff
11-05-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Yellow_Fly_Red
http://www.billzilla.org/vvtvtec.htm

Here's someone's comparison between V-TEC and VVT honestly, im not too fond of that article, because it only mentions DOHC VTEC and it is outdated. iVTEC has the same camshaft phasing like toyotas VVTi...

actually, almost all car manufacturuers have some sort of camshaft phasing, but not many have the 2 cam profile system..

Yellow_Fly_Red
11-05-2002, 12:52 AM
Some info on BMW's VANOS and Double VANOS technology...

http://www.bmwworld.com/technology/vanos.htm

:thumbsup:

I like VANOS technology over V-TEC because VANOS increases both HP and Torque significantly...
while V-TEC increases mostly just HP....
IMHO....

gpomp
11-05-2002, 01:02 AM
Why do people put Vtec stickers on there car? Its so stupid.

Why do people put ///M stickers on the 318ti's? That's even more stupid.

GTS Jeff
11-05-2002, 01:02 AM
Some info on BMW's VANOS and Double VANOS technology...

http://www.bmwworld.com/technology/vanos.htm

I like VANOS technology over V-TEC because VANOS increases both HP and Torque significantly...
while V-TEC increases mostly just HP....
IMHO.... thats right. but who gives a shit about VTEC when theres iVTEC?

try finding an article comparing iVTEC to dual vanos.

Yellow_Fly_Red
11-05-2002, 01:08 AM
I prefer DIESEL cars...
or something like this..

http://www.mbspy.com/w203c30.htm

got some power and wicked fuel mileage.... 800KM+/tank
and Diesel is cheaper then regular gas....

gpomp
11-05-2002, 01:08 AM
V-TEC increases mostly just HP....

http://www.ntpog.org/dyno/David-torque.jpg
http://www.ntpog.org/dyno/David-power.jpg

I actually effects torque more.

gpomp
11-05-2002, 01:11 AM
I prefer DIESEL cars...
or something like this..

http://www.mbspy.com/w203c30.htm

got some power and wicked fuel mileage.... 800KM+/tank
and Diesel is cheaper then regular gas....

Yes, Diesel is cool but there is a bad side to it too. I dunno about M-B, but I see a few Jetta TDI's around here and they sound really loud at idle and have a very bad smelling exhaust. And isn't there something about emissions from a diesel engine is not as clean as a gasoline engine?

Ben
11-05-2002, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by gpomp

Yes, Diesel is cool but there is a bad side to it too. I dunno about M-B, but I see a few Jetta TDI's around here and they sound really loud at idle and have a very bad smelling exhaust. And isn't there something about emissions from a diesel engine is not as clean as a gasoline engine?

Diesel just looks bad because the wax in the diesel not fully combusting. Diesel in the long run is better cause its more efficient, but...it has its drawbacks......

the loud TDI's? loud, hardly, they have come a long ways compared to the old school early 90's or the Benz ones of the 80's...still not gas quiet, but hey, quiet enough you can here the turbo spool...

Yellow_Fly_Red
11-05-2002, 01:15 AM
hmmm.....
I'll agree with you when Honda develops an i-VTEC 3.2L 6 cylinder engine that can pump out both more HP AND TQ than the current E46 M3 engine... (this is possibly the last 6 cylinder M3 .. as they might move to a V8 configuration in the future)

fair enough..??
:)

Yellow_Fly_Red
11-05-2002, 01:19 AM
hahahahaha....
have you ever heard my car when I started first thing in the morning in the winter...????
damn... sounds exactly like a diesel engine.. just as loud too...
I forget that its gasoline until I have to refuel..

the oddities of the 2.3L Kompressor engines..... thats why the are replaced by the new 1.8L Kompressors on the 2003+ C230 sports coupes....

Yellow_Fly_Red
11-05-2002, 01:22 AM
The current sulphur rating in North American diesel gas is too high for the new diesels from Europe to operate here...
but when the new Diesel regulations come out in 2005 to reduce sulfer ratings to as low as European standards...
we should be getting lots of cool diesel cars....

oh.. sorry for going off-topic.....

Yellow_Fly_Red
11-05-2002, 01:24 AM
the BAD smell is the sulphur....

sulphur stinks...

GTS Jeff
11-05-2002, 01:25 AM
hmmm.....
I'll agree with you when Honda develops an i-VTEC 3.2L 6 cylinder engine that can pump out both more HP AND TQ than the current E46 M3 engine... (this is possibly the last 6 cylinder M3 .. as they might move to a V8 configuration in the future)

fair enough..??
:) whoa wait a minute. i get the impression that u think we are arguing about which is better. we arent dude!! this thread was simple meant to explain the million different technologies that honda attaches the VTEC name to.

nowhere did i say vtec was better or worse than vanos.

gpomp
11-05-2002, 01:36 AM
hmmm.....

fair enough..??
:)

I'll decide when the replacement for the NSX finally comes around...

max_boost
11-05-2002, 02:16 AM
The only VTEC I know of is when my tach hits roughly 5400RPMs, VTEC kicks in and a feel a nice surge in my car:thumbsup:

///M Power
11-05-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by gpomp

Why do people put ///M stickers on the 318ti's? That's even more stupid.

Yeah, it is stupid, and it just makes people look like idiots. But your wrong in saying that its more stupid, because ///Ms are actually good, where as Vtec is just your average run of the mill variable valve timing system.

The Raptor
11-05-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
The only VTEC I know of is when my tach hits roughly 5400RPMs, VTEC kicks in and a feel a nice surge in my car:thumbsup:

It's 5800 my friend.. 5800... :D :D the lil red engine that could :thumbsup:

The Raptor
11-05-2002, 10:39 AM

Yeah, it is stupid, and it just makes people look like idiots. But your wrong in saying that its more stupid, because ///Ms are actually good, where as Vtec is just your average run of the mill variable valve timing system.

Do you even have an M powered vehicle... just curious :rolleyes:

max_boost
11-05-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by The Raptor

Do you even have an M powered vehicle... just curious :rolleyes:

There are two guys with E36 M3's, maybe there is 3rd?

ninjak84
11-05-2002, 01:11 PM
I think all mis-bading is the same.
GT-R, Typer-R, VTEC, SE-R, ///M..... they are all in the same boat